Windows Image Acquisition causing stuttering in games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Monchis, Jul 25, 2016.

1. Prophet

Prophet Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi 680
    Yea, removing options is always good. Personally I would like to remove posting privileges for people with poor deduction skills.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    That's the dumbest post I've read all day.

Yes, 48gb page file on my ssd is fine, let it be windows i don't know anything :stewpid:

3. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Actually it was some win10 lazy standby memory management. I was able to reproduce the problem by launching some games and swapping displays like I always do, hiccups started to happen. Only way to fix it was rebooting the system but found the Rammap tool, using empty standby list fixes the issue right away. Ms needs to get their **** together, last time this happened I was on win98. This other tool does the same thing:

https://wj32.org/wp/software/empty-standby-list/

Ps.- Now I see why some people needs 16gb to fix hiccups in games that use barely 3gb. :infinity: I wonder if the nvidia driver has something to do with it, the arkham devs said they identified hiccup problems in systems with 8gb of ram and nvdia cards.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  4. ChoGGi

ChoGGi New Member

GPU:
    choggi.org/specs
    EmptyStandbyList.exe standbylist
    ?

5. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Yeah that´s right, I was adding a - to the command. Now with this tool even watchdogs runs great :banana:

6. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Could you explain this a little more? The thought of Watchdogs running great intrigues me, but is this a memory management issue that *only* occurs with multi monitor setups?

7. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    You just have to download that tool and create a direct access to it, on the target parameter add "standbylist" without quotes. Execute the access once and then launch your game.

8. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    Okay. Which tool? Rammap or the wj32 ESL? You say that your issue is reproduced by swapping displays like you always do. Are you swapping from one monitor to another and that is causing the memory management issue? I only have one screen hooked up through HDMI and 16GB of RAM, so I'm not sure if this would do anything but I'm curious.

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You have something weird going on. With 12GB my system sets up a 2GB page file.

10. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    16GB here, all auto settings after a clean install of 1607, Windows allocates exactly 1024MB for my page file. While playing Forza Apex it balloons to 8-11GB, but afterwards it always goes back to 1024MB on the dot.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016

11. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    The tool on the wj32 link. The easiest way to reproduce the hiccups for me was to boot windows, launch firefox with a couple of streams, close it, launch f1 2015 it would play perfectly fine a 5 lap race, close it, swap display, play some game in mame, close it, swap display, launch Loeb Rally and play an event on long pikes peak gravel, close it, launch F1 2015 again, same event as before, unplayable because of hiccups... only fixable by rebooting windows or using the EmptyStandbyList.exe or remmap tools.

12. MaidenFred

MaidenFred Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti Suprim X
    Hello, back again

No difference for me with or without WIA running.

About my pagefile config: 256mb on C: (ssd) and 3072mb on Virtual Ramdisk.
    No problem with any game here

13. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    This is what I do in my system:
    [​IMG]

I disable the automatic page file option, while leaving my SSD as system managed and all my other drivers as "none"

This is the best way to set it imo, as if you leave all your drives as system managed, windows will make pagefiles wherever it wants. So for example when I'd play a game that its installed on my SSD, windows would set pagefiles on one of my HDDs (or vice versa), causing stuttering.

14. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

I have nothing to add about WIA, but on the paging file note, I'm running without one right now on W10 with 16GB RAM. I've played GW2 and StarCraft 2 for hours without issue.

My usual method for handling the paging file was to set it static at 8092MB (min/max). Never had a problem with this for years.