Driver amdkmdap stopped working and has recovered.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Lightness, Feb 22, 2015.

1. Lightness

Lightness Guest

GPU:
    ASUS AMD R7 260x 2gb DDR5
    Hi there.

I'm kinda new on this forum and i have registered here just for this.

ALWAYS when i'm playind Diablo III, this RANDOMLY happens:

My screen freezes, then go into a black screen and then after 8 seconds (i did the TDR Registry tutorial thing) the screen returns to normal. This happens on Diablo III only. I use Winamp (used to use WMP, but i changed because of this) while i play to listen to music on the background.

I have made a clean Windows install, a clean GPU driver install and this keeps happening randomly. When this happens, even if i close the game, my GPU usage gets stuck on 100% usage and the only fix is to reboot the pc for my GPU returns to normal. Today this happened on the city, without monsters and all... I don't know what to do. This is my first week with this PC and that happened 4 times already.
    I tried everything i found on google and forums, but i had no luck at all.
    Tried older versions of CCC, a clean install of Windows, clean install of my GPU drivers (used DDU for this) and everything.

When i check on the Windows system logs i found the error listed on the logs. The notification doesn't appears at all.

My pc is a AMD FX 8320 8 core, 8gb of RAM, 1TB of HD, my motherboard is a ASUSTeK M5A99FX PRO R2.0 and my GPU is a AMD XFX R7 260x 2gb DDR5.

Is this a commom error? Is there a fix for this or should i wait for AMD to fix this on a future CCC Omega updates?

Well, any help would be really apreciated! :]

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    GPU overclocked at all?

Any OCing or monitoring software installed?

Tried different drivers?

Which version of Windows ?

3. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC
    Sorry for my bad English but I can say something about this issue.

This issue is common(a lots on google and youtube), but to fix this ,there is no common way.

I had similar experience with my 7850,I got a totally random black-screen freezes when gaming.In my case only RMA fix it.

Corsair 700W should be enough for a single 260X,so I think the problem should be on GPU side.

There is still a possibility that the issue is related to others ex:
    Graphic crad driver version,ex: go back to 14.11.2 or 13.x(If I were you,I will not accept this though.)
    GPU overclock too high.
    GPU overheat.
    Mainboard PCI-E slot may be bad(But I doubt.)
    Bad memory module(But I doubt.)
    Bad CPU(But I doubt.)
    Software related ex: anit-virus/windows core/driver related software/GPU tewak /booster or monitor software.(But I doubt.)
    TDR value.(But I doubt.)
    ULPS setting.(But I doubt.)
    Flash hardware acceleration.(But I doubt.)
    PSU.(Corsair 700W should be enough)

All are from google results.

Since clean install did not solve the issue,unless you are lucky enough that one of or many of above things is/are the problem(In fact,in my case,none of them above is the source of problem),or unless you are using crossfire configuration,I suggest you RMA or return/replace a new one your graphic card ASAP.

OR you can check omega's release note:
    http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/AMDCatalystOmegaWINReleaseNotes.aspx

Some known issues are listed,but I don't think they are related to this.
    And my 7850 is good with omega now(after RMA).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  4. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Have you checked temperatures of CPU, GPU when this happens?

5. Lightness

Lightness Guest

GPU:
    Hello everyone!
    No, no overclock at all.
    Yes, i check my CPU and GPU temperatures and i don't think it's this.
    The GPU temperature are around 57/60C. The max that it got was around 70C.
    I'm using two side coolers to lower the temperature inside.
    On games that are more "heavy" than Diablo III this isn't happens like on Castlevania Lords of Shadow and Final Fantasy XIV.

Sorry for the noob question, but, what is RMA?
    Thank you for the answers.

6. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC
    Hi
    RMA means return merchandise authorization,or return policy.

Well,in short,try to send it back to the shop where you bought it for a replacement.Since you just bought it one week.

Or you may have to sent it to the manufacturer for a fix or replacement.

I do not know what return policy(or service) in your country being used.Anyway,before you send it back,you may have to check return policy by your self on the shop's web site or contact the seller by phone,to see if you can have a replacement or how will they deal with this case.

Hope it will help you.

I have the issue for about 2 years,first was driver stopped working,then black screen randomly came.I test it over and over,search every solution on google.

Eventually,all of these are just a waste of time and money.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  7. Lightness

Lightness Guest

GPU:
    I think it's overheating. My pc just froze two times while i was playing Diablo withou Winamp on the background. And when i closed the game i checked the temperatures on HWMonitor and the GPU was on 73c.
    I think i'm gonna buy a bigger computer case just to be sure.

Ah, and when i reseted my PC i got a black screen just when windows loaded the desktop.
    Yeah, i think it REALLY is overheating...

8. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC
    As I know <80C(or even 90C) should be fine for a modern GPU.

In my case,my 7850 always reach to 60~70C,same before or after RMA.
    It is winter in Taiwan now so maybe ~60C.

I did not play DiabloIII but I play Blade&soul and TERA,both are 3D heavy game.

I bought a new case+three new XtraFlo 8cm FAN+Arctic MX-4,1 years ago for this issue.Both my CPU and GPU were with Arctic MX-4.

They did not help :(

When I had this issue,I doubt everything on my PC from hardware to software,so I can understand.

I still suggest you return the card for another one.I don't think it is overheating.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  9. Hyakujo

Hyakujo Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 4gb
    I have been working on this same problem for two months now.
    I have found several work arounds for this problem. Not sure if I would called it solved just yet.
    In the event viewer/summery of administrative events/information do you have
    Any events from the source desktop windows manager?

10. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    I had the same problem when I overclocked my memory to 1600. Back to 1400 and no more problem. But wasn't overheating, just instability caused by my hardware (probably mobo, I guess).

11. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC
    In fact,I had one month/one week/one day issue free experience,and then issue suddenly came back and say hello to me.

That's why I did not just RMA it at first time I bought it,and make me wasted more time on it.:bang:

I believe now if there is any work arounds make one think maybe it was fixed,it is just a coincidence base on the fact that this issue is totally random.

My 7850 is factory overcolok'd ,so..
    I tried to down clock in CCC setting,still no help.(Before RMA)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  12. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    Sorry, not the video card memory. The system memory. But now thinking, the video card was also overclocked in that time. And I was probably playing something that really abused the video card. The only thing I play now is Dying Light and the game never reaches 100% of GPU usage.

13. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC
    As for system memory overclock, I have something to say.

I had make my memory overclock to 1600 from 1333,at first all were fine,then I noticed that OS it-self acting strange,for example,I click on File Explorer and nothing open or pop-up.I try to open one APP the APP and Desktop and mouse just hang and no response.

I give it up soon since my memory modules are not overclock optimized,there is even no heat sink cover them.

What I want to say is ,if system memory has issue,I believe that it should reflect on OS it-self soon or later, like BSOD , or something can be observed on screen, or even causing something wrong at PC booting.

For me it is hard to believe that it only affects one specific hardware.

14. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    My memory is a G.Skill Ripjaws X, very good for overclock, I assume. But the thing is, when I bought this system the difference in price for a k processor and a mobo that was good on overclock was too much for me. Anyway, I thought I would be able to overclock the memory from 1333 to 1600, but the system gets way too unstable. I test with HyperPI to check and the PC always boot or lock. 1400 is completely stable.

15. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Its hardware problem, specifically the Graphics card.

Mostly the Vram Modules, they aren't cooled properly enough.

16. Lightness

Lightness Guest

GPU:
    The Windows event logs do you mean? Yes, i have. Only saying that the driver amdkmdap stopped working and has recovered.

Yesterday when i restarted my PC to fix the 100% GPU usage, the screen turned black after Windows finished loading the programs as usual and the screen did not returned after that happened. I had to force reset the PC. But before I did that I pressed the Capslock key to see if my system was completely frozen but no, my pc wasn't completely froze, apparently only the GPU.

Its summer here on brazil and it feels like i'm on hell!
    After I exited Diablo III the GPU usage went to 100% and the temperature exceeded 72c.

Digite um texto ou endereço de um site ou traduza um documento.
    My motherboard is quite large, so my GPU does not have enough space to "breathe". I REALLY need to buy a bigger case.

Ah, i have a question, guys. Can I turn on the graphics overdrive just to make my GPU's cooler run at 100% WITHOUT overclocking the card?
    Theres a square on CCC for do the overclock. If I turn on it and not change anything there, just the fan speed, my GPU will continue with its default settings?

17. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC
    Well,be it the GPU overheating.
    The paradox thing to think is why CPU/memory/Motherboard's on board chip did not hot crash but only GPU.

After all they have to work together.

I wonder if a now-day's graphic card really so weak than CPU/motherboard/memory module.

I dont know what kind of pc case you are using now,so it is hard to say anything.And yes a bigger pc case means better but in my experience you also have to buy good system fans(Xtraflo/Spectre Pro) and check if the air flow is ok or not.It is not just buy a new case.

And most impotent thing is, it still no help in my case, the pc still freezes till I RMA the graphic card.

Also my GPU's usage is always at ~90%~99%(blade&soul) when gaming but it is fine from the day it back to me.I have to say I had a good experience with RMA, but I am not satisfy with the product, it is brand new but faulty when I bought it.

Yes,you can enable it and just adjust the fan speed.It will still have it's default clock settings.

18. Lightness

Lightness Guest

GPU:
    I left HWMonitor running on the background and I started to play Diablo III. After one hour I closed the game and went to check HWMonitor log.
    For my surprise, Diablo used 100% of my GPU. The MAX GPU temperature was 66c, the minimum was 43 (i opened the HWMonitor first).
    Theres a screenshot of the program.

Edit: I forgot to say that I used the GPU fan at 100%.
    [​IMG]

19. brightbule3921

brightbule3921 Guest

GPU:
    PowerColor AXRX460 2G/OC
    Anyway max temperature <80C should be fine in my opinion or at least it is not the source of issue.

Also,I suggest you use Afterburner for real-time OSD monitor,it is more suitable than HWMonitor on graphic card monitoring .

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/msi-afterburner-beta-download.html

20. haz_mat

haz_mat Guest

GPU:
    1070 FE
    I've never had a black screen issue with Diablo 3, but I've always had a lot of stuttering unless I ran it in fullscreen-window mode, v-sync on, and limit the FPS to 61.

D3 doesn't take a lot of GPU to run, so its a good idea to limit the framerate. This will also keep your gpu running cooler.