What is everyone using for a controller?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by theimported1, Feb 17, 2014.

1. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    Sorry if this is the wrong sub forum.

I am currently using a wireless x360 controller, but it has a fuse in the wireless dongle that blows.
    It is not replaceable.
    It can be soldered to work again--which is what I have done for the time being--but it worries me with no fuse, so I unplug it.

I would like to avoid having to unplug it all the time.
    I may just get a wire x360, but is there anything better out there?

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You can try a cheap knock off wireless dongle for the thing from ebay or something.

Dualshock 4 works great with player made drivers. It connects to the PC with a Bluetooth dongle.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I use the wired 360 controller since I'm really not that fussed about the cable. It's long enough by far anyway.

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I also use the wired 360 controller, fairly cheap and works great for 3rd person games.

5. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Dualshock 4 atm

1. Works great with bluetooth and windows 8.1. (i have a trust bt 4.0 dongle)
    Altough i always HATEd playing wireless, the controls tend to have some breaks and flaws, even if the dongle is in line of sight with the pads.

2. REALLY good DPAD (i use it mainly for beat'em'ups) the analogs are really cool too, i dont use them that much tough.

3. With "DS4 To XInput Wrapper" even has touchpad support and emulates the xbox360 controller so it can have even greater game compatibility

6. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Xbox 360 wireless , but i dont really mind using the cable while recharging it because as someone already said, its got plenty of length. Never had any problems with it except for the rubber joysticks that keep attracting my cat to chew on them.

7. ibitato

ibitato Guest

wired xbox controller is a battle tool ,
    best price / quality there is imo

I dont like the weight on the wireless one, that i also have

8. CyberPaddy

CyberPaddy Guest

GPU:
    migty 8800GTX
    search on a ebay men for 'usb controller gamepad"/ u can get for 5 pound it like ps3 pad btut ork perfectly on the pc, i have one an works great in my game that i use it (GRID) an now EpSXE (hercs adventure) (just like a real pad)

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i wouldnt get a xbox360 controller tbh, like someone mentioned above the d-pad really sucks.

10. D1n

D1n Member

GPU:
    MSI 750 Ti GE

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I disagree, it's one of the better D-Pads out there.

12. MaskedMuchaco

MaskedMuchaco Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290 Gaming (H2O)
    I have been using my wired 360 controller for about 5 years although I have now modded it with the new twist d-pad with a little shim underneath to make it more responsive, it works pretty well but nowhere near as well as the original sega saturn pad so i'm looking for a way to connect that (and also my dreamcast arcade stick). I Have replaced all the buttons and both sticks but only to make it look better and match the red chrome d-pad, it's definitely one of the sturdiest controllers I own although my 24 year old megadrive pad is lasting well if a little floppier that it used to be :) .

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Logitech Rumble GamePad F510

It works great in fighting, snowboarding, arcade gamepad games. :)

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I use a lot of controllers deepening on what game I am playing. For modern games I use a wired xbox 360 controller.
    You could look into the Logitech controllers in the F series such as the 310 (wired) or the 710 (wireless). They have the same xinput technology as the xbox 360 controller so they should be compatible with any modern game that is compatible with the Xbox 360 controller.

Also the black 360 controller they seemed to me that they upgraded the dpad to something better than the old generation white one.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  15. theimported1

theimported1 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti SLI on EK Blocks
    Thanks for the responses guys.

I really had no issues with the controller except reliability. I think I may just go ahead and purchase the wired controller.

I had a Logitech pad--I hated it--so I don't think I will be getting another.

16. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I have a wired 360 pad, hate the d-pad on it though. Probably the worst I've ever used tbh. Also have a couple of usb adapters for N64/Gamecube/PS2 pads for emulation purposes.

17. dark_surge

dark_surge Master Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 1080
    Wireless 360 or wired PS4 controller using DS4tool. Using the PS4 touchpad for cursor movement is kind of neat. I haven't tried setting up wireless through Bluetooth yet.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i get a really sore thumb when playing certain games with it.
    (its also one of the things they changed in their new xbox one controller because of the complaints)

19. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    i got a logitech rumblepad 2 since forever and it still works, want a wireless xone when i get the chance to buy one for pc

20. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Years ago, I had a lot of issues with my wireless rumblepad not being recognized in games. I swear it was a rumblepad 2. I may dust it off if I can find it and see if it works better now.

Meanwhile, I use a wired 360 gamepad. That seems to be the go to pad for PC. I never thought about it but as others mentioned, the D-Pad does kind of suck. I only use it for driving games so that's of no concern. I hate aiming with a joystick. That's for those console people ( pod people ).