750 inactive users?

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by fetabob, Aug 23, 2008.

1. fetabob

fetabob Active Member

GPU:
    waiting...
    I'm surprised we have 750 inactive users given the new GPU clients, Perhaps it's time to do something like enter Guru3d folders into a prize draw to win a guru3d polo shirt or something like that. (or maybe a peice of hardware that's lying around !)
    Hats off to Aircool + others for devoting so much time to these threads too.

2. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Well im going to guess that there are so many because when guru3d joined folding the high performance clients had only just started appearing and were a nightmare to setup for some users and so the points they wanted to see werent there so I guess it wasnt very interesting for those who are more points interested rather than the sceince.

Also some users may have been users from the past, that have not been with guru for a while.

I dont think prize draws would work really, since obviously elitists would have an advantage.

3. fetabob

fetabob Active Member

GPU:
    waiting...
    not a competition to see who can fold the most, just a random for those who partake. like a raffle, even just for newbies who are starting out

all you have to do is stick something on the latest news page saying start folding a win a T shirt. Then pick someone off the list who has recently started.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  4. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    Two reason's I've turned mine off for a few days. 1. Because I'm ripping VHS tapes to my computer and don't want to risk issues. 2. I was also getting some display corruption that I thought was due to running the gpu 24/7. But it might have been a driver thing...

5. Gaboou

Gaboou Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 8800GTXes ->> SM 275T
    I am also not folding over night anymore because my graphics cards performance seems to have decreased. For example in games I am having random slowdowns and the cards produce unstable PPDs- it's not as it used to be: over 4500 Point Per Day for each. Most of the time one is doing around 4500 and the other ca. 2000 (it changes which card is faster). But I have to admit that they were overclocked and it started with the new client. Obviously there are so many factors that I can't be 100% positive it is due to folding...

6. sardine

sardine Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070
    I've found the GPU client does'nt go into the background correctly for me.
    If I load Age of Conan without pausing the client I get an unstable FPS from 25-35 FPS
    If I pause the GPU client I then get my normal more stable 50-60 FPS.
    [​IMG]

7. Gaboou

Gaboou Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 8800GTXes ->> SM 275T
    Turns out that I forgot to set the priority a little higher- from idle to low for the GPU Clients, like I did with the previous version... :rolleyes: Now they're pushing over 4500 PPD (even without overclock). Additionally I set my two SMPs to use 96% of the processor each.
    BF2 works fine, I finished Assassin's Creed, didn't seem as flawless FPS wise as in the beginning though (under XP)...

8. Lichelord

Lichelord Guest

GPU:
    X850 Pro agp/8800gs pci-e
    Well I switched teams after (I don't even remember how many years) not for any reason except I joined a community that is very active and I started a thread here and got a very lackluster response.

Of course I have never been very active here except to read reviews and download.

The reason I decided to Fold was because of reading it on this site and felt the least I could do was to fold for this team because of the great download section.

I wish I could fold for more than one team but in the end it all goes for the same goal.

Also since the gpu clients my ppd has become practically worthless.

9. Lichelord

Lichelord Guest

GPU:
    Also I would recommend doing a mass email to the inactive users with a small newsletter to remind them of folding. I remeber when I upgraded my systems I ran into some issues (Vista ruined 8 Master boot record) and by the time I got my systems all back online I totally forgot to start the clients. I didn't remember for 6 months! Sucks having CRS! ;)

So what I am saying is some of them may just have forgotten after doing a upgrade or reformat. whatever reason. I would bet if you mass mailed them at least 10% would be back in the fold.

10. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    I joined, but it's ummer and my PC makes my room to hot.

11. arcon

arcon Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 465 & 8800 GT
    I am still folding, however that annoying noise coming frommy vga ... there is just one way to get rid of it ....downclocking :puke2:

12. fetabob

fetabob Active Member

GPU:
    waiting...
    I seemed to have grown acustomed to my pc whirring away at night but of course the best time to fold is when you are not there !

13. darknight909

darknight909 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 2080
    yeah same reason here i used to run my ps3 all the time but my room temp goes way up

14. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
  15. Roostitup

Roostitup Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 275 SLI 713/1584/1242
    Good to see more people joining in! Comon guys, lets give team Guru3D a big bump! Don't let having a lower power GPU discourage you from joining in on the fun, all while also helping contribute to science! :nerd: :)

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i dont fold cause i see it as a waste and never see the results of eveyrone folding...sorry
    i tried to search once to see what science has improved as a result and didnt find anyting specific much less evidence.

17. Roostitup

Roostitup Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 275 SLI 713/1584/1242
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home

I guess ignorance is bliss, sorry to ruin your ignorance, but if you visit that link near the bottom of the page in "results" it has many peer-reviewed research papers that has come about because of protein folding and this program since 2000. That took a matter of 1 minute to find, you must have not looked hard at all. This work we are doing does help further research and knowledge, plain and simple. Sorry if I'm defensive, but I seriously think that you just spit out something you know nothing about as fact.

18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i googled it once a few months back, looked at maybe 8 or 9 sites discussing it. actually 1 site specifically mentioned the lack of hard evidence that researchers have done any benefitial from it..but i'm not about to look for it

i dont typically look at wiki's. i mean even i could technically sabatouge a key word here and there in your very own link...and PC worlds article on evidence of commercial tampering from companies to lead to their own benefit....so no, Wiki's are not evidence of anything.
    though i'm sure the sources it links has more into it but i honestly didnt care that much.

your not defensive, theres just 2 sides to pretty much everything...real hard evidence is hard to come by and i'm not about to argue about "grey" facts but rather arogant imo...if you dont mind me saying...of using a Wiki to show proof of anything, no offense....and in my opinion, my little PC isnt going to cure anything i believe and i'll stand that statement till someone proves that their PC soley contributed to something worthwhile, i know its a group of them and each one ..theoretically, imo, helps, but nor do i think my 1 contribution of cpu/gpu time is going to make the difference in change

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  19. Lichelord

Lichelord Guest

GPU:
    :spam:
    I've lost many members of my immediate family to cancer and donate more than I make to fold. You should know what your talking about when you flippantly insult people that contribute to charity out of the kindness of their heart. Being self-centered is fine until you cross the line and insult those that aren't.

20. Lichelord

Lichelord Guest

GPU:
    LOL I've had 6 cpu's folding for 5 years and only get 400 or so ppd from them so that 500 sounds good to me LOL!

I just had a donator send me 2 8800gs's to fold in theire name and now I'm adding another 8000+ to the cause, even though it's not in my name.

Fold for Life.