Video capture does not have multi gpu support?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Mezmerizer03, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Mezmerizer03

Mezmerizer03 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 3734mb
    When i hit record in any game with the video capture software, all but one of my gpu's get disabled... My first question is why? Second question is why would MSI release video capture software for a piece of software that helps you manage multiple gpu's when capturing video disables it. And is there a way I can contact MSI directly about this? I have two ati hd5970's in crossfirex... get with the times MSI :bang:

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I've already seen your posts in Playclaw forum about the same issue, when you asked the same about FRAPS, then Playclaw, then bashed AMD then badly optimized video capture software for those things. There is simple fact that has surfaced in all those discussions and you totally refuse to get it: grabbing frames from GPU ALWAYS STALLS graphics pipeline and causes DirectX to wait for GPU to end all queued rendering requests before the frame can be compressed by CPU. It WILL reduce the efficiency of multi-GPU rendering drastically whenever you like it or not. There are no other ways.

Probably MSI simply understand something you don't? It is the way each and every video capture tool is working, if you don't like it - don't use it. No need to blame AMD because you paid them 1000 dollars for crossfire system and cannot record gaming at high res, no need to blame all video capture tool creators for lack of "Crossfire optimization". It is the way it is working, you cannot change that.

No need to contact them directly. They don't code video capture tool, I do.

3. Mezmerizer03

Mezmerizer03 Guest

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 5970 3734mb
    i just figured that different software would be coded differently, i didn't think it was a technical impossibility as edward wrote at playclaw. I do understand it all but i just figured because this was different software, it would be wired to work differently than the others. i just keep hoping for a solution or that i could help with a solution in some way. I didn't mean to bash anyone Unwinder. I was thinking of waiting for a single gpu solution that's worth trading two hd5970's for. I haven't seen anything worthy cept for the predator 580.... will probably wait though.

4. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

No way to do it differently I'm afraid. DirectX is stalling all rendering when any video capture software is grabbing a frame. For signle GPU scenario performance loss is not so noticable because GPU is processing the frames consequently in queue, so the worst thing and performance penalty that can ocuur is flushing rendering pipeline.
    But for SLI/CF mutiple frames are rendered at the same time and all GPUs have to stop and wait when CPU is capturing a frame. There is nothing you can do to get rid of it. The best scenario is getting the fastest single GPU card.