Hardware monitoring programs sometimes won't start up...

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Deleted member 114840, Sep 12, 2014.

1. I reformatted my computer with a fresh version of Windows 8.1 after I got my new 290. I have a 1 hour prime stable overclock on my 2500k at 4.6

I have always used CPUID HwMonitor, CPU-z, and OCCT. All of those programs have sensors that read off temps and what not. Occasionally, enough to make me post, those programs will just not start up. HWMonitor will just say "not responding. CPU-z will just stop at "software" on the loading menu and for the first time tonight OCCT didn't start up and did something similar to what HWMonitor did. After I reboot the pc, they seem to always work fine.

I've been using windows 8.1 for about 6-8 months now and have never had this problem before, albeit, this is really the first time I've been tinkering with my overclock and these types of programs.

I'm current'y 23 minutes into a OCCT 1 hr session and it seems rock solid stable. I know some of you might not think an hour of stability isn't completely 100% stable, but I think it's stable enough to not cause the problems at hand.

Any input would be appreciated.

Oh, and I've googled with very very little luck.

Thanks.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Have you tried opening them up at stock settings?

I know you may think its stable enough, but when i first got my 3770k i was prime stable for 30mins, but sometimes steam would stop responding, games would stop responding literally right after i open them as well.. Needed way more voltage.

3. It actually started when my cpu was overvolted. I was at 1.40. I'm now still stable (52 minutes in on OCCT) with my voltage at 1.325

It's just weird that only the programs that are trying to access sensors on the motherboard are the ones sometimes having problems. Everything else has ran fine....knock on wood.

EDIT:
    It seems after I start doing stuff, youtube, etc. and then try opening it is when I have the problems. I just did it again. While these programs wouldn't load I downloaded realtemp and when I tried running it, I crashed and windows 8 did it's thing and restarted yadda yadda yadda. After the restart, real temp worked fine.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2014
  4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    OCCT isnt always the best for stress testing. Try intel burn test latest(watch temps with these ), p95, and asus real bench(real world testing).

If it crashes after OC but doesnt at stock, it means you arent 100% stable

5. I have been testing it and it's stable. However, often times monitoring programs will just not start up. I've tried real temp, core temp, hwmonitor, occt, and cpu-z.

6. Labyrinth

Labyrinth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tri-X R9 290 4G

7. I have not tried them at stock settings thinking I wouldn't have to because I'm stable.

I have no tried that program. I've been using HWMonitor and CPU-z for as long as I can remember.

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's not weird, if several different processes are polling the same registers at the same time lockups can happen.

Use one good app like AIDA64/HWiNFO64 or else don't let them all have low level access to sensors.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014
  9. Felix1941

Felix1941 Guest

GPU:
    290X 4GB
    Reset PC, go to bios and SAVE & EXIT. This fixed both HWmonitor and cpuz for me.