Windows Phone 8.1 [Update Live]

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Extraordinary, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you want WP8.1 update on your WP8 device, set your date to 15/4/14 and your region to USA - join the "Preview for developers" program free, and install the corresponding PFD App, then check for updates

Loads of threads and info and people getting their updates here
    http://forums.wpcentral.com/preview-developers/

2. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    im installing it right now, but i didnt know about the date hack :p obvious i guess since most reviewers have had 8.1 for 2 weeks now, next time i see an update im gonna put my phone in 2020

EDIT: its done, took less than 30min, what i really hate about this is now the tiny icons at the top dont auto hide anymore, i hate to see these all the time jeez why dont they keep it minimalistic like it has always been, i hope they fix it soon, let the user choose

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  3. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    User choice isn't something MS actually believes in....

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Im ok with the icons being at the top permanently, saves me having to install another app to put the battery level on a live tile

I like the new Android style pull down notification area too, the separate volume controls, the extra column of tiles and the custom backgrounds

It has fixed more or less everything I complained about in WP8, just waiting on more devs to add the transparency to their live tiles, looks a bit daft with majority transparent and a few solid

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Would it be a good choice for someone who hasn't used a modern smartphone? I'd like an option to iOS for my mother.

6. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I prefer the icons always being visible at the top, Android style.

I'm looking forward to this particular update on my HTC 8X but I'm going to wait for the official release for a couple of reasons.

1) HTC normally releases Windows Phone 8 OS updates within 2-4 weeks of them being officially released along with new firmware unlike Nokia which took much longer to release the last update such as GDR3 because they customised the official update with more features.

2) Some Samsung users are having issues with their camera and other things with the developer update, likely a firmware issue, should've waited for the official release however long that may be.

3) Firmware. It's like butter and bread, it goes so well with an OS update.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Easily the easiest OS to use on a smartphone other than iOS, very smooth, apps feel like part of the OS, everything is really easy to learn

Id recommend it to someone who hasn't used a smartphone before

8. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Just upgraded to 8.1, no issues so far. New keyboard is really, really great.

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    damn have no windows phone around to test these :(

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I notice a drop down menu doesn't show on a particular website in Internet Explorer, still shows in other browsers. It also worked with GDR3. Other than that, all good! Only criticism is the language of the words above the keyboard. For Australia, the default keyboard is US because of the dollar sign, but the words are all in US spelling. In Australia, we use GB spelling, which if set means a pound sign is in place of the dollar sign. The dollar sign is on the secondary keyboard instead.

So, an option for an Australian keyboard language would be good, to have US keyboard and GB spelling.

11. Gfxfyle

Gfxfyle Member

GPU:
    Radeon R9 290X
    I had a good chuckle at this. But there is truth to what he said.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'd say yes. It's very user friendly. Sure, it'll take some getting used to, but it's really the easiest mobile OS to use. Most things are in a very logical place. It's not quite as capable as iOS and Android, but most of that is due to the lack of apps. That issue should be improving though.

It's really one of the weak points of Windows Phone. It really needs a way for users to truly personalize their phone.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks guys. Apps shouldn't be an issue for her, she's only interested in the browser, youtube, and the usual social apps.

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    It's now easy to project phone screen to your PC:
    [​IMG]

15. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    Well looks like the release is very buggy I had some nasty over heating the other day with my L920 took it off charge around 8am went out and did some stuff before coming home. So later in the morning I head out for an interview all morning the phone was very hot and by 1PM it wouldn't even power on not even vibrated when you held down the power button. So left it on charge since 5pm last night when I woke up in the night the phone had powered on but my battery life has been destroyed I have nearly everything turned off and something's causing a massive drain. (also some random screen artefacts for a few months didn't think much of it.

Lucky I called up T-Mobile/EE found out that the phone I received for similar battery issue was a refurbished and should never have been sent out to me (possibly bad batch from launch) So looks like I'm getting free upgrade to an Lumia 1020 as a apology for the refurbished phone and battery issues what seem to happen every 5-6 months. My upgrade is available end of the year hoping maybe some signs of Windows Phone 9 or if there is some nice WP8.1 Nokia phones around ill look into one of them as the 8.1 update is a big step in the right direction.

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    By the way, Microsoft just released remote desktop preview app for WP8.1.

17. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Lawlz, I was surprised to see that this works:
    [​IMG]

19. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    lol yea I finally got to experience 8.1 on a touchscreen

20. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Aye. Also the desktop IE11 and Firefox work really well with touch. Modern UI VLC app works nicely too.