7700K Voltage questions

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by mahanddeem, Mar 9, 2017.

1. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    Hello there,
    I picked up a 7700K, Asus Maximus IX Hero and Corsair 16GB DDR4 3200MHz.
    CPU at all BIOS options at auto was getting around 1.248v(all cores 4.5GHz) at load, and back to 0.727v at 800MHz(idle). Temps are fine with my Noctua D15S. Max lower 60c at load.

Now I want to find "undervolt" my CPU to the lowest voltage required for turbo of 4.5GHz(not interested to overclock this cpu now). Now I have CPU voltage mode set to manual in BIOS, and value is 1.120v and it boots normally. Did a run of 3DMark Firestrike physics and then Cinebench R15 multithreaded and all passed normally without issues.
    My questions:
    1. Is it possible that my 7700K can perform normally with this low 1.120v at turbo of 4.5GHz?
    2. Should I keep trying to go lower in voltage?
    3. If everything I use my PC for behave normally, is there any downside to force CPU to work in low voltage state?

Thanks guys.

2. Jujudlapampa

Jujudlapampa Guest

GPU:
    Strix GTX1070 2088/2302
    Wow stable at 1.120/4.5ghz ? That's nice, I managed 1.245/4.6ghz and was hoping to go lower, I guess I still have a bit of a margin to exploit (if I got lucky with my chip).

Anyway I don't think that low voltage state have a negative effect on the CPU, at least not that I am aware of.

Although an expert's opinion would be great, I'm interested in gaining some more degrees.

Unrelated question to you Mahanddeem, what are your idle/load temps (as well as the average ambiant temperature) ?
    Please pardon my curiosity :>