Display port troubles

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by heroxoot, Mar 13, 2017.

1. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    So I recently replaced my monitor with a 1440p Asus monitor. It has DP/HDMI/VGA. I decided to use Display port as I use consoles on HDMI. I tend to leave my smaller 1600x900 monitor on at night and fall asleep watching stuff. If I turn the 1440p monitor back on it shifts everything on the right monitor to the left. This is mostly an annoyance, but sometimes it causes my PC to lockup and I have to hold the power button to turn it back on. Assuming this is graphic card related since it's when I turn the monitor back on. What can I do to solve this? It's frustrating to say the least and I do not like having to hard shut off my PC.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Have you selected "Make this my main display" in resolution display settings?

When I reinstalled 10 a few days back it did the same to me, wanted HDMI to be main screen, and I wanted DVI as main

Took a bit of a fight with Windows to stop it moving everything over, iirc I had to tell it to set the DVI as main display, then manually move icons and stuff back across, and it finally accepted my choice as default

3. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Yes the Display Port monitor is set as display 1. It's actually blue screening my PC to turn this monitor on. It finally crashed in a manner that I could hear it happen. I'm not sure what to do.

So I tried setting my DVI monitor as one, shutting off the DP monitor, and it did the same thing and just moved it to the DVI monitor. I am so confused.

I just updated from 17.2.1 to 17.3 and still doing it. I don't understand why.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  4. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Ok I've come to the conclusion it is resetting my second display every time I turn on my 1440p monitor.

YES IT IS LITERALLY DOING THAT! My small 19" 1600x900 is becoming main display for a short second and then reverting back to number 2. How can I stop that?

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Have you tried using DDU to remove the drivers in safemode, then reinstalling them in normal mode?

Just to rule out any bad files left over from previous drivers

6. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Just did. From what I am reading it is a Hot Plug thing that DP does? I read if I block Pin 19 it will stop, but I should not have to do that.

[​IMG]

Windows is acting as if every time I turn on this monitor the display is being removed and reconnected.

7. slash_One

slash_One Member

GPU:
    ATI HD6770x2
    it's a known issue in win 7 ,microsoft knows...i thought they fixed that in 10

8. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    It would seem not. I am on the latest version of windows 10 and up to date although I tend not to like that.

9. slash_One

slash_One Member

GPU:
    ATI HD6770x2
    maybe you already tried this workaround...
    as for me, nothing worked, threw away dp cable - back to dvi:nerd:

10. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Alas, I have also found this and recently tried it. I set the TMM registry to 0 and still no dice.

Things I have tried:

UseIViewHelper 0
    removed all old registry configurations leaving just the two monitors that are connected.
    Looking for "deep sleep" type settings in the monitor

It really seems to be an issue with Windows 10. I would get over it if not for the BSOD that it has caused twice now. This monitor does not have a DVI port so I'd need DP to DVI adapter.

11. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    I've been reading and researching, and this just seems to be a glorified issue with display port than nearly everyone deals with. Unless AMD has a way to do EDID override, I cannot solve it.

Crappy.

12. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    So after trying everything, windows registry got messed up, and windows was already acting like trash. Reformatting did nothing, as registry edits, new DP cable did nothing as well. I've resorted to just using WindowsKey+P and changing my monitor form extend to Second only at night when I want the 1440p off. Seems to prevent crashing so far.

13. Jouven

Jouven Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro OC
    Seems this issue still happens on windows 10. NEVER have your main monitor on DP, I had this problem in the past, and after lots of messing around in the end I SOLVED this issue switching to DVI (I bought a 144hz monitor and I thought the only way to support 144hz was DP, but DVI supports it too).

Weirdly my secondary monitor is on DP but doesn't trigger this issue when it goes to sleep.

14. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    Yea that's what my bud did. So my issue is basically I need the HDMI port for game consoles. So until I finally upgrade this 900p monitor I'm just disabling the display in windows. It solves the issue for me with no crashing.

I've also considered my DP wire might be junk or a low version, like 1.1. Maybe a 1.4 would work better? I tried another but it did the same thing, but I could not confirm the version of DP the wire was capable of. This monitor is rather newer so I want to guess it has DP 1.3 on it, but maybe not. But I'm not willing to spend money on it right now. I just know this all has something to do with how DP sends power between the monitor and GPU. It's all some hotplug annoyance.