Launcher, hotkeys, shortcuts Whats your setup?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by gll, Nov 1, 2008.

1. gll

gll New Member

GPU:
    nvidia 9800gtx
    Launcher, hotkeys, shortcuts, Scheduler, Whats your setup?

I think I have my river tuner setup well now.In the launcher i have my oc, taskmanager, hardware monitor, and each game with high priority.

i set them up with hotkeys

F5 - TASKMANAGER (on second monitor)
    F6 - HARWARE MONITOR (on second monitor)
    F7 - OVER CLOCK + GAME(set with high priority)
    F8 - DEFAULT CLOCKS

So when i want to start a game i just press F5 F6 F7 :biggun:

You can put the game launcher together with your overclock launcher. This is good if you mostly play one game, and it also alows you to use the restore settings after termination of the game which restores the oc to defualt again.

Alternatively if you play multiple games you can just use shortcuts on your desktop for each game.

One suggestion that i would make to you unwinder would be in the laucher set up add a hardware monitor selection, so the monitor will launch with your oc. thus eliminating one more hotkey.

ps. I did attempt to have every thing i wanted to happen from one hot key but to no success.:bang:

All feedback on your own setups would be appreciated :cheers:

If any of this info is better in another thread please moove and I appologize this is my first post

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Ctrl+F12, restart graphics driver (altho this is not possible now in vista xP)

When hardware acceleration is in range 0.5-1 (ingame), Turn on overclock profile+fan high speed profile

When hardware acceleration is in range 0-0.5, Turn off overclock profile+fan low speed profile

One way to make your thing work, i mean, everything in same HotKey, there may be a better way to do, but well.

Make a Shortcut to your F5/F6/F7
    and their destination will be something like

"C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner v2.09\RivaTuner.exe" /L:490c5cd7
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner v2.09\RivaTuner.exe" /L:490c5cdf
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\RivaTuner v2.09\RivaTuner.exe" /L:490c5gfx

Then make a Launcher.bat (or any other name .bat), in your rivatuner folder

and put this lines

RivaTuner.exe /L:490c5cd7
    RivaTuner.exe /L:490c5cdf
    RivaTuner.exe /L:490c5gfx

Then make another launcher item which uses that .bat, it will use every launcher you added to the .bat (one line each launcher)

oh when you browse files, rivatuner only show .exe files, just select all files, it works with .bats also =)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  3. gll

gll New Member

GPU:
    nvidia 9800gtx
    .bat / sheduler

4. MrWoo

MrWoo Active Member

I take a different approach. I have an 88gtx.

First I set the fan to manual, and then make 3 fan profiles, 60,80 and 100%. I call them F60,F80 and F100. Then I make 3 launchers, called Fan60,Fan80 and Fan100.

Next I make 2 underclocking profiles, basically moving the sliders down all the way for 2D and save as Low2D. Then I move sliders back to normal speeds under 3D and save as profile High3D. You could put these up higher if you are overclocking. In the launcher I make 2 entries, High3D and Low2D.

Next I start the graphs/monitoring and enable all the plugins I want, set some to be shown in OSD such as gpu temp, core duo temp (plugin), framerate and fan duty cycle %. Then I make sure background monitoring is enabled.

Then in launcher I make these items
    Ctrl + Numpad Plus = Start Stats Server
    Numpad Plus = Toggle OSD
    Ctrl + Numpad Minus = Stop Stats Server
    Ctrl + Numpad Divide = Show graphs/monitoring screen

This rounds out the launcher items. Basically the only ones I use are the toggle OSD and show graphs.

In the scheduler, I make the following

On gpu temp THRESHOLD UPWARD, value > 60c, launch Fan80.
    On gpu temp THRESHOLD UPWARD, value > 65c, launch Fan100.
    On gpu temp THRESHOLD DOWNWARD, value < 55c, launch Fan60.

Now it is to note that more recent drivers require the stats server and hardware acceleration plugins to be in the hardware monitoring to use over/under clocking.

My underclock (2d settings called Low2D) are used on startup, so my card is running about half speed. Nice and cool. To raise it when a game starts, without resorting to a key to do it, this is used in the scheduler

On hardware acceleration THRESHOLD UPWARD, value > .5, launch High3D.
    On hardware acceleration THRESHOLD DOWNWARED, value < .5, launch Low2D.

This effectively sets my card to full speed (or OC if you like) if hardware acceleration is detected. Then when lack of acceleration, drops speeds again.
    The only thing I don't care for of this is that the StatisticsServer MUST be running for hardware acceleration monitoring to take place. Unwinder has stated it is the drivers fault, and this is true as first versions of drivers for this card did not need it this way to operate.

The premise is this, in my case. My card stays around 55-58c in an underclocked state doing surfing/coding etc. When a game is detected, the card shifts to normal clocks, and obviously the heat will rise. Since it only does this in a game or other type load, my philosphy on cooling is simple. If temp goes above 60, turn fans to 80%. If temp goes above 65, turn fans to 100%. Then fans stay there, virutually always during a game, as they will never fall to 55c again, which is needed before the scheduler triggers fan back to 60%. This way, the card is going to stay cool. When the game ends, and hardware acceleration is detected as falling below .5 (or off), the card drops the clocks down, and this aggressively cools the card. This enables it to go all the way down to < 55c. Then the fans drop back to 60% and remain there until another load is placed on the card.

In addition to this I also use Speedfan, which monitors the gpu temp as one of it's triggers to ramp up the case fans.

Overall, running an intense game like crysis, temps stay at about 68-72c on the gpu, and maybe 33c on my e6700 c2duo. Not too shabby considering all I have to do is toggle the OSD on or off and maybe show the graphs if I want.

MrWoo.

5. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    To get around this I set the cards 3D clocks to kick in at a certain GPU0 temperature. If it doesn't kick in fast enough, I've assigned a hotkey for 3D to launch. Turn on the OSD, make sure clocks and fan speeds are right, then hotkey off the OSD.

Been using this for months and works good. I don't like the OSD on all the time so I do it that way.

6. MrWoo

MrWoo Active Member

That is interesting. I have thought of doing that, but only one problem, my temps don't go up when underclocked it seems. As an example, last night I was messing with RivaTunerWrapper.exe in a limited account. Hardware Acceleration was not working, so starting up CoD4 left me to run in an underclocked state. At first I was wondering why the performance was a little sluggish. Looking at the graphs on RT though showed me why. Since no acceleration was detected, I was still underclocked. The temp got to 58c, which is about where I idle at. It is fully possible that Speedfan sensed a cpu temp increase and actually helped to cool the card with the case fans.

Do you see some definate temp variations in an underclocked state that are reliable? What is the offset from idle that you use?

Thanks for the thoughts. I might play with it a little more.

MrWoo.

7. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    I also underclock while in 2D. Using the method above still works.

GPU0 card has a waterblock and GPU1 is cooled with the stock cooler.
    Using GPU0 core as the control, settings are as follows:
    <42C go 2D
    >44 go 3D

My current idle is 38-39 C.

Again, if 3D gets stuck, I use a hotkey to force it. At 1680 x 1050 while in a 3D game doesn't take long for GPU0 to hit >42C.

GPU1 fans are also stepped using GPU0 core temperature.

I also use the threshold event (not range).

8. gll

gll New Member

GPU:
    nvidia 9800gtx
    Hey guys, i do like the underclock while in 2D idea definitly going to look into that one.

gpu is Such a waste of power noise and heat to browse or run screen savers. hehe

I guess having things done in auto is good but the way I see it is when i know im going to game i like to just bump the fan to were i like say 92 %+ overclocks and monitoring.

I used to use hotkeys but now i just made all my launch items run at riva tuner startup with the schedular, i have the server at windows startup but that should be able to be put to task with schedular too.

However if I go down the underclock 2d path, it changes all that.

my osd was just gpu temp, and fps and on always,
    toggle might be good for more specs and large size to pop up as required, i guess its rare to look at them really

Ill continue tinkering with it.

very good info in your posts

gll:biggun:

9. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    There's so many ways to do things. :) GL and post back if ?'s.

10. MrWoo

MrWoo Active Member

Boogie, I tried that with temps, and found that when I am underclocked, and start CoD4, it takes a very long time for the temps to raise about 5 degrees, which is what I consider SAFE to assume would be graphics heat. Too bad. When idling, depending if I run a couple vmMachines or some other rather intensive application, my overall case temp can rise about 5 degrees before Speedfan kicks in. This usually raises my gpu temps about the same. Not enough normally for either Speedfan or RT to kick on. I wonder if it is your water cooling that allows you such low thresholds. Do you use speedfan or other type of case/cpu cooling application?

MrWoo.

11. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    It was trial and error getting threshold temperature setpoints where they are now. I do not use any software other than RT.

Here's my ugly looking PC. I have a fan exhausting out the top under the radiator, one on the side panel blowing in (not shown) and one on the bottom side blowing air in on the bottom air cooled vid card.

[​IMG]

https://home.comcast.net/~msl1954/Build%20Notes%20A.htm

I can't say my method is best but it's the one I like. I can't sit and look over your hardware so it's hard for me to judge or offer suggestions on how to set yours up.

Edit: the pic's were before I got my second card.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008