AMD reaches lowest research budget in 10 years...

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by klaupe, Mar 26, 2015.

1. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti AmpExtreme
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    R&D is not a very linear thing. AMD got some really top CPU/GPU people a few years back. NVIDIA is spending more now.

Btw, what's the source of your numbers?

3. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
  4. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
    Okay, so you tell me basically, their technological advantage concerning CPUs/GPUs is that breathtaking , that they can invest 30% less now? :D

I almost mentioned, that even drivers are rebranded now...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

5. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    That website is a rumor site.

I would take anything they say with a grain of salt.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Those numbers may be very well true...

AMD had in past at least 2 competing technologies developed at same time.
    Look at VLIW4 (HD6950/70) and GCN which were developed at same time. Then AMD decided to sell VLIW4 (What a failure, even same transistor count HD7870 is considerably better than HD6970 in gaming and compute).
    Once they realized it is not good at all, they got out HD7970 in 1 year.

I am sure they had competing CPU/APU engineering projects over years too.
    So, decrease in R&D may mean that AMD closed projects which proved not to deliver technological advantage.
    (We already know that there were some reorganisations in engineering teams and some people from failing teams were dropped.)

Now, lower amount of projects means lower amount of engineering samples needed.
    It may mean less richer portfolio. (In mobile there is reduction.)
    I think AMD will push 4core carrizo+512SP & 4 core carrizo-L with 256SP, then 2core carrizo with 256SP & carrizo-L with 128SP.
    And 4core carrizo with 384/256SP will be made by cutting of top model.

In GPUs, all resources are going to GCN, its evolution and revolution. And there is team working on power efficiency.
    And since APUs no longer use wliv4, they get all advantages from GCN development. APUs are now made on GPU manufacturing technology which means cross reuse of IP.

Basically I believe AMD teams now work in way that they use more of work done by other teams instead of reinventing wheels.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^You're one to talk.

I Wouldn't be surprised if it's is true, the money prob all went to PR marketing who seems to have unlimited resources available.

AMD are in the wrong business.

8. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    GPU/CPU architectures are products of YEARS of investment. Nobody can churn out new silicone in a year. Now we have from both AMD and NVIDIA products whose origins where probably around 2010. What that graph tells me (if it is indeed true), is that AMD heavily invested in things that we are about to see, and NVIDIA is heavily investing NOW.

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Your comment put a big smile on my face!

10. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
    http://www.kitguru.net/components/g...-spending-on-computing-and-graphics-products/

... yeah, those morons are all lying...

I just started to google a little bit, because i wanted to read roumors, what´s going on there.

And to me, they all smell similar to me.

I remember people defending AMD like hell, when the whole high-end CPU thing started to collapse. In fact they just retreated. I´m sure Intel is about 3 generations in front and just waits to release them, when it becomes necessary.

11. MSIOCGenie

MSIOCGenie Guest

GPU:
    2x 280X
    No it's not, they always state clearly if what they write about is a rumor or not. I know because I'm a native Swedish speaker, and I've been hanging around daily at Sweclocker's for the past five years.

12. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    Could be related or not but rumors about Samsung buying AMD raised again lately.

13. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Thats rumor pops up at least once a year.

Unless they are willing to give up the x86 portion of AMD, i seriously doubt this will happen.

cross licencing agreements of x86/x64 with intel prohibit outside majority ownership without consequences.

14. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Isn't Intel with their backs on the wall concerning the monopoly situation though? They can't be left (along with Transmeta, lol) as the only x86 provider.

15. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    they would need to be successfully sued for the "monopoly" title to be applied. Being the only supplier isnt the end all, you have to prove artificial barriers to entry among other things.

In the mean time, im sure they could find a solution.

Either way, loss of the IP or spinning off the CPU division isnt going to be attractive to Samsung.

16. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Without knowing the specific details, there is no way to speculate. I believe that whenever that much money collide, there must be a way.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Unsourced material isn't worth reading....

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Right...

That kind of research spending(roughly twice of Nvidia's) has led to this.
    God help us when current AMD R&D (under-spending) really kicks in.

Both Nvidia and AMD have expanded overall in the meantime and are covering more segments.

19. sammarbella

sammarbella Guest

GPU:
    290X Lightning CFX (H2O)
    In relation to AMD is like the AD: Power without control means nothing.

If some AMD bosses was smart enough to spend a tiny fraction of R&D budget in driver development things could be different in GPU market right now.

AMD GPU hardware is top notch but his GPU software is not up to par.

Sadly. :(

20. klaupe

klaupe Guest

GPU:
    i know, it´s just a rumour, but i really hope Samsung buys AMD as long as they don´t lose touch on the GPU-sector.
    They though about it 2007 and 2012, so all good things be three ;)

The next-gen GPUs in terms of hardware seems to will be absolutely competitive and at least in touch with nvidia´s HW. I doubt, that AMD will have the budget to do that again.
    Imagine someone with Samsung´s budget investing in AMDs driver development, and developer support.

My personal POV is, that, it would be the only way to stop the downward spiral of losing marketshare/losing R&D budget.

To be honest i admit there is still a little "hope", that they spent the majority of ressources in making the next generation really outstanding in terms of HW and drivers at the expense of the current and last gen GPUs support over the last 9 Months.
    Anyway, they can´t expect existing customers to be very amused about that.
    I don´t think r9 users will benefit of DX12 performance very much, because the majority of DX12-games will come too late for current-gen...
    I somehow made my peace with the fact, that i decided wrong for the first time in 15 Years of building gaming PCs.
    Nevertheless, the stronger AMD, the cheaper and faster our next gaming machines will be, careless what we decide to buy then.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015