AsRock 880g extreme 3 with FX-8350

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by CalculuS, Aug 30, 2014.

1. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Hello, im looking to upgrade my pc and I was thinking of the FX-8350.
    I googled to see if it had CPU support but its not telling me much. Only people with 8320's.

Does anybody know if its supported?

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It should be compatible even though Asrock doesn't list it. The board supports piledriver and BD and 140W and 8 core CPU....just not all at once lol

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  4. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    From what i've heard is that the 880G extreme3 and 880GM le fx (http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GM-LE FX/index.asp?cat=CPU) are barely different only thing were the settings on the LAN/RAM feature thingy.

Could also be that they just made a new card based on the 880g for those new features and tested the FX on it and found out it worked and made it to make some ez money.

5. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    What do you mean by that? Also which bios update should I get for that?

Also sorry for double post, dunno how to double quote.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The list includes 6 core PD and 8 core BD so 83xx support is pretty much a given even though it's not specified. You might lose fan control on the board or cool n quiet though, but the CPU should still work.

Naturally you'd want to use the latest BIOS from AsRock.The microcode is likely old but you can prob get a modded bios with the latest microcode update (822) from win-raid or add it yourself.

Click multiquote then hit reply.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  8. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I do.

The article speaks mainly over the 890 chip series and one 880GMH/U3S3,
    praising them over having AM3+ while also still supporting am3.

I checked the cpu support list for the 880GMH/U3S3 and it has the amd fx 8350 however I think this is one of the modifications from my card since there are I think 5 different revisions? (880GM le, 880GM le fx, 880GMH...)

When my cpu arrives I will test it with bios update 2.10c and see how it performs. I just hope the cpu doesn't throttle as stated in different forums. (http://forums.tweaktown.com/asrock/51345-880g-extreme3-amd-fx-8350-compatibility.html)

But then again, other websites states it should work fine and is supported (http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-AMD_(chipsets)/880G.html), when the official asrock site has scrapped the 8350 from the support list.

I think this cpu will not run flawlessly. But yeah one can only see from tests.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    The guy at TweakTown doesn't know what he's doing. He says LLC isn't working but it clearly is working because the vcore went up to 1.44v. Vcore and VID are 2 different things.
    His CPU is throttling because Turbo core is enabled, this should be turned off otherwise the CPU will throttle some cores to keep within 125W TDP - and that ain't gonna happen while running Prime95.

10. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    So you think its gonna run just fine on the 880G?

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Well I don't know about fine, but it will run. I'm just saying this guy's experience is not due to the board itself.

If u look at CoreTemp (latest is RC 6 btw) u can see 1 core is boosted to 3700mhz, that's why the other dropped to 2900mhz. I wouldn't be surprised if he was on stock cooling as well.

12. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Alright then, probably next upgrade is a new mobo then I guess.

13. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Alright I send a ticket to ASrock Support too about it and I am going to include it here.

Their response: Hello,

Please do not use FX-8350 or any other 125W CPU on this motherboard. It might give some problems. I don’t say this just because we want to sell you another motherboard.

Of course we would like to see that your next motherboard is also an ASRock board. If you want to upgrade the CPU then please also upgrade the motherboard. FX-8350 is supported on these models:
    http://www.asrock.com/support/cpu.asp?s=AM3+&u=446
    Please see the individual CPU support list per model for additional info.

If you want to buy a high-end CPU like this one, then switching to an Intel platform is something worth considering (because you would have to change both motherboard and CPU anyway).

Thanks,
    ASRock Support

My response: What kind of issues? Permanent damage? Throttling? I can live with decreased performance as long as it doesn't cause any damage.

Their response: Hello,

Throttling can be expected.

In the worst case the motherboard can be damaged. I have never seen a CPU die because of it, but we cannot guarantee it.

Kind regards,
    ASRock Support

I didn't expect a reaction quite soon. But atleast I will know I can atleast have some improved performance until I can cough up enough money for a good mobo.
    Also straight up advertising Intel made me laugh.

14. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Ehh guys big update, I just installed it into my pc and let it ran on stock usage and downclocked it from 4ghz to 3.8ghz and 8 to 6 cores.

Its running 100% this speed, no slowdowns, no throttling and no explained low fps.
    Its running pretty good except the occasional hardlock.

But I am definitively going to get a new mobo in the foreseeable future.

For any other future 880g users.

Turn the goddamn cores down to 4's. If you want 100% stability

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014