Damaged CPU or Mobo?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by F9zSlavik, Aug 31, 2014.

1. F9zSlavik

F9zSlavik Member

GPU:
    2xGTX770 2gb SLi
    So I was overclocking the hell out of my 1075t. Manage to get it to 4.05ghz with 1.525v. Worked fine for about a week and out of the blue I started getting overvolting errors. CPU started to draw in over 1.6v even though I had it to 1.525. It would freeze right after loading into Windows. My SLi was also putting a lot of pressure on the CPU and Mobo. So... Now it freezes every time I load into Windows. Normally about 15-20 seconds to the dot. I can open up a folder or 2 and then nothing. I reset the bios via F5, everything set to default, still freezing. I took out one 770, same issue. Switched PCIX Slot, sometimes it post other times it does not (leads me to believe its a mobo).

Keep in mind I was already having issues with the board. Raid does not work, crashes soon as it loads into Windows. Sleep/Hibernate does not work for whatever reason. It will not wake up the computer must be restarted several times. I do have another Asus 990fx board that I've taken my C drive to and it works flawlessly, hibernate even works, just not on my board. I was having these issues way before I started overclocking.

I'm thinking my chipset is probably half way dead.

Thoughts?

Asus Sabertooth 990fx
    AMD 1075t
    DDR3 1600 GSkill
    Evo Samsung 1tb
    Corsair 850tx
    Megahalem Heatsink w/ DUAL fan

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Have you gone back into the BIOS and set everything manually to their correct stock clocks, timings and voltages ?

3. F9zSlavik

F9zSlavik Member

GPU:
    2xGTX770 2gb SLi
    Yes, everything set back to stock

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Stock Auto or stock Manual ?

5. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Your MB or PSU may be fried. My old system did that a little bit then the PSU burnt out the power socket to the MB. PSU side of the cable had two pins melted.

Reset your bios, unplug the PSU to the MB and check the power connectors on both.

But all my other components were good. Go RMA both your MB and PSU if you can right away.

CPU nearly never burns out alone unless it was unseated properly. The PSU would burn out the MB before it hits the CPU. Usually.

6. F9zSlavik

F9zSlavik Member

GPU:
    2xGTX770 2gb SLi
    Took the CMOS battery out, everything set to stock which is auto. I don't think its PSU but then again I did hear a loud low pitch, nauseating pitch. Couldn;t quite pinpoint the source, normally when a PSU does it, you can easily track it down. Could of been the motherboard blowing out a IC chip or a capacitor somewhere.

Took out all GTX770's, took out all HDD's, only ting that's left is 1 ssd and a cdrom.I'll probably be switching over to intel. I'll try and reinstall Windows again, see what happens.

Can't RMA Mobo, it was a salvage from a burning house. I took I got my worth out of it considering i got it for free. I think the CPU is fine, I don't think I've ever seen a CPU half dead. It's either fully dead or working. That's been my experience.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I meant set everything to stock manually, do NOT use Auto

It could be that Auto is setting something incorrectly - check all the clock speeds, timings and voltages of RAM, CPU etc, and set them all manually in the BIOS

8. F9zSlavik

F9zSlavik Member

GPU:
    2xGTX770 2gb SLi
    OK I'll do that and report back.Fact that the system is turning on posting fine is a good thing. Seems to only freeze when loading into windows (without vga drivers for some reason) and during initial install of the OS. But I'll try that and see what happens.

Somethign I just notice as I am manually enetering values, theCPU is drawing in 1.452v in auto mode, ? In auto mode its suppose to be supplying 1.35 or something to that line. Stock speed is only 3.0ghz. I'll leave it at 1.4v and see what happens. Maybe I blew a IC voltage regulator.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    1.525 was way too high. I'd say you did break something.

10. F9zSlavik

F9zSlavik Member

GPU:
    2xGTX770 2gb SLi
    I personally don't get it. I installed Windows on a seprate HDD, worked fine. I tried to load my Windows from my SSD, freezes. Ran CHKDSK /f, repaired a few things, the system started up with no 770's. Went ahead and installed 1 770 and it worked. Installed 2nd 770, worked fine. Overclocked to my original settings, 250fsbx15 = 3.7ghz ram @ 1666 1.65v. Just finish running a couple of 3d marks, so far so good.

Could it been a fluke? With a already unstable mobo, maybe it could not handle the aggressive overclock, screwed things up a bit including my operating system?

I am still going to switch to Intel but now I can wait patiently for my RmA board to get back.

Will continue testing

11. F9zSlavik

F9zSlavik Member

GPU:
    2xGTX770 2gb SLi
    Yeah seems to be working fine now how weird...

12. F9zSlavik

F9zSlavik Member

GPU:
    2xGTX770 2gb SLi
    Guys hey I know I said I would get either a i5-3570k or an 75-2550k but I found a guy on who is selling a bran new i7-3770k for 300 bucks. I know I'm on a budget but I figure, 3570k will cost me 230, after taxes roughly 255, extra 45 bucks I'll get a better CPU and from what I see from the reviews, overclocks very good.
    Still waiting on Asus, they had some stupid complication on verifying the warranty so I should have a board hopefully by early next week.

13. Jodeth

Jodeth Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970 SSC 4GB
    Check the mobo for any bulging or leaking capacitors. Some time ago, mine would also freeze a few seconds after loading Windows, not all the time though, but usually between 20 sec to 5 hours it'd freeze the screen and I'd have to hold the power switch for it to turn off. Over time it got worse and worse to where it wouldn't stay stable for 10 minutes! Got a PC repair service to replace the bad capacitors (that were next to the CPU). Idk the real cause, but it's probably because of over-voltage. So grab a flashlight and check your capacitors.