Windows 8

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by snowdweller, Jan 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sovietdoc

sovietdoc Guest

GPU:
    no start button is stupid. How is my grandma supposed to know where to click?

2. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I think alot of people might stick with windows 7, windows 7 might start to be like how windows xp, nobody will want to switch to windows 8 for a while just for the fact everything is different., I love the my start menu, how dare u take it away.................:biggun:

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is too many other things Windows 8 has to offer that will drive people off 7. The OS by default uses half the memory. The networking stack is significantly improved. Multi Monitor support is significantly improved. File transfers are improved. There is a new file system that is amazing for storage configurations. Tons of other changes...

The interface change takes getting used to for sure - but once you're used to it's actually faster than the start menu by a large margin. You have access to 72 of your fav programs two clicks as oppose to 10 fav programs in Windows 7. Also application searching is so much better. I rarely ever click at all - just hit the Windows key on the keyboard type the app name and bam it's there.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If your "grandma" can't comprehend to move the cursor into the bottom left corner and NOT click....she's probably too old to worry about "upgrading" her computer.... It's the simplest thing MS has ever attempted....you simply move the cursor into the corner and the menu pops up.

5. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  6. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    remembers me 3 years ago formating&installing every build of w7, this time im gonna wait for the official w8, dont care about the changes, unless they are REALLY BAD i will most likely accept/love them

7. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I'm really digging everything but Metro for the Start - but I'll get used to it.
    I've yet to try it out on a touch screen, but I've got an extra 24" TFT touch that I purchased for a customer's POS system that I haven't built for them yet... I'm so going to give it a shot there.

As for Metro, I can see the potential in it, and given a touch interface, it's going to be VERY useful - and as with every change, it's going to require a bit of a learning curve - just like everyone that went from 98 to XP and again from XP to Vista.
    I'm with Denial on his take on the interface though... searching is even faster AND works better, even though it's entirely different looking. For instance, hit the Windows key and type SETTINGS, then click on the Settings tab... then to get back, simply click the far left of the screen. I can definitely see the usefulness and ease of use in this with a touchscreen.

What I'm really excited about is all the new stuff that's available to power users.
    For instance, you should check out the information that you can find in the Performance Monitor - it looks much the same as what's available in Win7...until you start digging.

The new Task Manager is not only a MUCH needed change, it's far more useful and shows so much more information than previously that I can see lots of people not even needing to go much deeper into the system.

And, as mentioned, it's lighter on resources. Right now, with 5 tabs in Chrome open, Google Music playing and several static control panel items open, the new Task Manager is reporting a grand total of 1.2GB (and despite someone earlier saying that you can't force end-task an application or background process, you can, you just need to be in the right places)

Anyway, I'm DIGGIN' it. In the computer repair business, it's important for me to stay ahead of the curve - I know my clientele well, and I know that when 8 hits the shelves, I better already know what I'm talking about.

Psychlone

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  8. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    After writing and revising this post seven times regarding Microsoft's seemingly insane attempts at writing a desktop GUI, Adabiviak drifted off to Google to see if he could learn enough coding to write a better one himself.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Someone has previously posted asking where the "shutdown" option is. If you move your cursor into the bottom left corner, a menu pops up. Go to "Settings". This will bring up another menu on the right side of the screen. The shutdown/restart/logoff options are all there.

10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    IMO they are wasting good screen space, a lot.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    It's considerably more efficient as you have instant access to most things.

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    How exactly? and for what? Everyone keeps saying they are wasting it "The start menu takes up less space" who cares? When do you ever go into the start menu and not look solely at the start menu? I'd rather have 72 programs at the touch of my fingers than 10 - if anything I think Windows 7 was a waste of space. Why have a menu you're enveloped in only take up 15% of the screen? I mean when I'm searching for something in start, my attention is in start. When I'm searching for a wireless point to access, my attention is there. For things like control panel, they maintain the same Window type as in 7 - so you can do things like have a browser open and follow instructions while having the panel display open too.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Here's my advice....and yes, if you've seen his other posts you'll see it's derived from Denial's.... Download the Windows8 Developer Preview. Install it. Read some of the tutorials that have been posted and give it an honest, unbiased trial. If you do, you will understand exactly what Microsoft is trying to do. The only negatives that I've found, are the negatives I've created. If you actually count the clicks it takes to access any part of the system, you'll find it's more efficient than Win7 could ever be.

Fewer clicks = more efficient

14. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    wait till the consumer preview on feb 29, then he can try it out for himself. most would rather complain though, gotta have something to hate on

15. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    This.
    Sometimes I'm almost led to believe this "hate Windows 8" bandwagon is comprised mostly of 9gaggers...

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Most of those hating on Windows8, have only seen screenshots and read parts of some of the articles posted. They haven't actually tried it.

17. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    ^ Agreed.

I can't say I was a "hater" before I tried it - because I had no experience WITH it. But, from the screenshots and what others were saying about it, it was easy to be skeptical about the ease-of-use claims that Microsoft was pushing.

After installing it on a laptop, I'm all for it. All of the changes are MUCH needed changes. You think it was a big benefit going from XP to 7? Well, Windows 8 is that next *revolutionary* step. (revolutionary instead of evolutionary because everything they've done isn't just an evolution on an idea)

I still don't care for the Start GUI itself (Metro), but in time, all those flat two-dimensional buttons will become rounded and skinable and look more individualized to the person that's using it...much like how we can customize our current desktops.

I've yet to plug this laptop into this 24" touch screen monitor, but I think I'll clear off a couple hours today to play with it and really give this Metro thing a good chance. As mentioned, I can already see the benefit in it and what they're trying to do, I've just yet to actually experience it.

So, I absolutely second sykozis' post in that everyone should just give it a shot. You don't have to, but it's important to recognize that if you don't, you'll be left behind just like everyone that refused to leave XP.

Psychlone

18. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    the real problem for typical net readers is all the FUD people keep spreading. it was done to quite an extent with Vista as well...for instance, some believed it had DRM that kept them from pirating content or some such.

Now there is a lot of repeat "does not work with mouse and kb" type of complaints as well as not being able to change start screen colors. Hopefully the consumer preview will at least provide more accurate previews from posters.

i highly recommend Paul Thurot's http://www.winsupersite.com/
    he is very up to date on MS stuff with inside sources and provides a more accurate picture.

19. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    One thing his article about the start button fails to recognize, your everyday, "Average Joe" doesn't know about the function of that button on their keyboards. I'm sorry but there are flaws in his logic.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Paul Thurrot is really not better. During beta testing of Vista, he claimed that it wouldn't run on a Pentium4 3ghz with 2GB of ram and integrated graphics. However, I had it running on a Pentium4 2.4ghz with 1.5gb of ram and integrated graphics just fine. In fact, he's wrong again...

MS has said the "Start Button" is gone....and in fact, it is gone. Instead, you have a "Start" screen. Of course, Paul Thurrot has to state that the devs from MS are wrong....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.