Downclocking fix

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by unstatic, Dec 7, 2008.

1. unstatic

unstatic New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX580
  2. fearsjohn

fearsjohn Guest

GPU:
    evga 1070
    why not leave it alone? nothing wrong with it

3. holystarlight

holystarlight Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4090
    Some people like myself have a problem with the gfx 280 would downclock it self when playing a game, and this stops its downclocking and I have tested it and it works fine, thanks

4. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    Does this happen in every game?

5. unstatic

unstatic New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX580
    no not every game, but a few
    for example counter-strike source a game that i play alot, the card starts with 576mhz (core) and 5min later it downclock to 400mhz while ingame.
    i think this happens with the games that dont push too much from the cards.
    fc2, codwaw, nfsu, etc work at the normal speeds with no downclock.

6. mtaher

mtaher Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 770GTX Windforce
    thanks for sharing this. happened to me alot while playing age of conan. had to do decrease my overclock by 20%-30% to prevent this from happening.
    most annoying thing was that i had to reboot my computer everytime it happened.

7. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    ahhhh

If you use rivatuner, there's an option in the overclock settings where you can select 2D clocks, Performance 3D clocks, and low power 3D clocks low power 3D clocks are 400/800/300. Unfortunately you can't adjust low power 3d settings by default, and when you do adjust it the settings allowed are limited. I think it undervolts the card as well.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    That's curious. My low power clocks are 301/602/100. What bios rev is your card? mine is 62.00.1C.00.80

9. cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI @ 1240/6772
    Those are what my 2D clocks are.

So in 2D it's 300/600/100
    Low Power 3D is 400/800/300
    Performance 3D is 670/1405/1215 (overclocked obviously)

I assume Low Power 3D is when you're doing things in a window. Because when I run Final Fantasy XI Online and check the clocks when it's full screen it runs at my overclocked settings. When I run it windowed it's 400/800/300. The game barely uses the card at all and I think is mostly DX8 based...it doesn't even support AA. Crappy engine to say the least.

Anyway I have no idea why games running full screen would drop to low power mode.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Okay that makes sense. What I have noticed is for example when I start up Fallout 3 my clocks immediately go to high power 3D. If I stay in the menu which is full screen, for 15 seconds or so, the clocks reduce to low power 3D. Even then, the menu is running at 180 fps. Apparently (or obviously I guess) they are using some methodology for determining when the card switches to the various clock states probably bios based.
    I just ordered a Sony Blu-ray burner the BWU300S. I'm kinda curious what power state the GPU will use playing full screen HD.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Your problem is different. I've had yours when I've gone past stable OC's Like 741mhz or so. Some cards do better than others and some games will allow a higher OC than others. I can run a lot higher OC in Fallout 3 than I can in COD W@W. The card will actually declock to low power 3D and like you I have to reboot to get the regular operation back.

12. mtaher

mtaher Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 770GTX Windforce
    thanks for shedding some light on this issue i had.
    now its all clear why i have had this issue.. cheers

13. Deathspank

Deathspank Guest

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    ive had a similar problem and in the end it looked like it was nod32 causing the card to downclock when the internet email checker ran (IMON). now ive told nod not to scan games when running theres no probs any more. i found this out cus crysis wars kept carshing in hourly intervals so for once i read the error report and it was imon.