Low GPU Usage With Gsync In Borderless Windowed

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by wrathloki, Apr 29, 2016.

1. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    So I just got the Asus PG279Q monitor, which is awesome, but I'm having a bit of a problem. Everything works flawlessly if I run games in fullscreen but if I switch it to borderless windowed the GPU usage drops to ~15% and the framerate tanks. I have Gsync set to on and Vsync set to off in NVCP. What could be doing this? Is this an unavoidable consequence of Gsync?

2. Minotaur

Minotaur Member Guru

GPU:
    Gainward 1080 GLH
    It should be working if G-sync is enabled for windowed and full screen mode. I have no problems here with 7 Days to Die, that I think runs in a full screen border-less window.

I'd do a full clean reinstall (use DDU) and reinstall the graphics and monitor drivers. Also for the apps profile, try turning off adaptive performance. If not it must just be the app?
    364.96 should be a good driver, but if you're using it now perhaps try 362.00 first..

3. wrathloki

wrathloki Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080
    Now I had another bizarre thing happen. I accidentally put the computer to sleep when I was shutting down. It came back on and Nvidia drivers wouldn't load in. Restarted and same deal. I had to reinstall the drivers and then when I got them running MSI AB forgot my overclocking profiles. Hope this isn't a recurring issue with Gsync.

4. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Can't say I've had either of those issues. Try using DDU and reinstall the drivers.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Enabling G-Sync for borderless window has been hit or miss for me. Some games it works great, others not so much. So I just leave it activated for full screen only.
    Can't say that I've ever had the issues you are describing though.

6. TheRyuu

TheRyuu Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    This.

Although G-Sync is supported for windowed applications it still doesn't seem to work quite as well and the results can be hit or miss so YMMV.

Have you tested it in borderless without G-Sync to rule that out?