970 after Idle stuck on 680 mhz clock max

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by X7007, Mar 10, 2016.

1. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Windows 10 x64
    No matter which driver, intel chipset , no overclock to the GPU.

Using Nvidia Inspector I see the clock after left idle just stuck on the clock and not returning to max. As soon as I click Apply again on NvidiaInspector the clock comes back to max.

What the issue can be ? I already tried tons of things, what possibly can cause the issue ? just about anything else

2. VAlbomb

VAlbomb Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia G1 Gaming GTX 970
    The new drivers comes with this setting "Display GPU activity Icon in Notification Area"
    You might want to enable this and look if there is something using the GPU that could potentially interfere with it.
    [​IMG]

3. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP

At the moment it says Teamviewer , Microsoft Photos , Chrome.

Does everyone have Microsoft Photos running ?

I tried to reset the power management policy . I'll see if it helps. it something in windows I am sure, but have no idea what, just need to reset something .

How come you don't have the microsoft photos there ?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  4. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Settings->Privacy->Background Apps->Photos Off

You should also check what happens when you close TeamViewer.

5. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    No one uses Teamviewer here and can check or using it at all and found he has this issue ? I've never had this issue with teamviewer I am not sure if it can possible be the problem , if it is , it will be a problem not to use it... my friend is using it with windows 10 and doesn't have the issue with 760 card.

Photos was off for me in privacy, everything else is too. I had to uninstall this thing with the powershell command so it won't appear. I don't know why, maybe I have a Picture file on desktop and this thing doesn't want to go. I'm using FreeVimager for picture files.

For some reason after a while I kept the Nvidia GPU Activity always opened the icons left to the names disappeared , did it happen to you too ? minimizing the GPU activity window and restoring brought the icons back. I'm just looking for weird things.

Does it happen for you too in Guru3D forums when you are in this thread for example, where it says

Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section In this section you can discuss everything GeForce driver related. GeForce ForceWare and GeForce Exerience drivers are for NVIDIA Quadro and all GeForce based videocards.

it goes pass the Browser to the desktop, like the tiny dot square goes beyond the browser and moves when I move up and down till the sentence/square is not visible anymore.

Happens for me in Edge and Chrome the same in guru3d only in guru3d like I've explained.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  6. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP

As for now the clocks are ok since I opened the thread.

I left it empty and it didn't happen. I opened Teamviewer again and it doesn't showing it using the GPU even when I'm using TeamViewer to remotely control a friend computer.

What's opened now is Skype , Chrome, PotPlayermini because I'm watch a movie.

For now everything is fine. What I did before is powercfg /restoredefaultpolicies and chose Balanced and disabled all the saving . I did use registry for the Hardisk that give you options to disable HIPM and such.
    I did try maximum performance before as such it didn't do anything.

One thing important is my network card adds a new Power policy - optimum performance that for some reason when you choose it put the cpu 100% all the time, but even without using it might cause something weird with the power rules. people said reinstalling or doing refresh windows installation fixed the issue, so I hope I will find the setting that causing it. it can't be software cause 99% people are using chrome,teamviewer and it doesn't happen as once I used them before.

7. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Still happens.

8. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    try run as admin on cmd > type sfc /scannow then only install new driver..

9. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I tried Sfc scan now , ye before you said :p

it found errors 2 times, then I restart and it didn't find any. Do I still need to reinstall the driver ?

10. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Just to be on the safe side use DDU to uninstall and then reinstall I would say :3eyes:

11. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    still stuck 683

12. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    turning computer off completely from the psu plug fixed the issue

I did
    Reinstalling Intel Chipset 10.1.1.7 / I had a notification to Downgrade after I uninstall all devices that had 10.1.1.13 driver installed, might had some left overs which I didn't see.
    Installing Intel MEI 11.0.0.1155
    sfc /scannow / scan for errors found 2 errors , after restart didn't find anymore.
    DDU / deleted all drivers that nvidia was stuck at first but not anymore after I chose what to install, only drivers + 3DTV driver + Physx
    Gpu firmware update / Using asus firmware update
    Winsat formal -restart clean / refresh windows score
    powercfg -restoredefaultschemes /restore default power management profile and then set them manually again, using Balanced with all saving disable expect USB selective suspend and CPU saving for EIST , same as before. I did have extra registry unlocked using HIPM registry, which was set on Active.
    Full Computer shut down including the PSU button.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  13. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I have a problem, every time I do SFC /Scannow and it doesn't find any issue.

it changes Vsync to ON instead the default Use the 3D applications software.

Why does it doing that ??

14. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    cpuid hwmonitor sometimes is not accurate will stuck there.

15. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    It's not really, it does show 708 mhz and the game performance suffer. instead 60 fps I have 25-29 fps, as soon as I apply clock not even overclock, just standard clock in nvidia inspector, the clock return to the max while in game.

But I'm talking about the second problem, using Sfc /Scannow changes Vsync to ON ,, why would SFC do that and only to this setting ?? if it does that it must doing more things.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2016

16. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    sounds like a messy system. why are you running sfc scans continually?

why not start from scratch with a modern OS and check if a clean OS install without any tinkering has issues.

17. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    Because then I need to start over wasting time and might eventually have another issues that I already fixed, I didn't change much in the OS . there are just error in this OS standalone. I want to understand the issue before hand to fix it , reinstall is the last resort . it just NVidia drivers last time installed automatically all the other stuff and without Ddu it was impossible to uninstall.

enabling then disabling NVidia 3DTV in ncp causes the vsync to become ON , but not all the times , just one time after restart or something else. but its something with NVidia.

Another weird thing, every time I do SFC scan, DVDFabVirtualDrive1511 always deleted from device manager, like sfc does something which I wasn't able to find, but it just delete something and I need to reinstall the software, for now I just installed newest version of VirtualCloneDrive and it doesn't have this issue in both windows 8.1 and 10.

For now I won't overclock, since I wrote the message it didn't happen yet.
    I watch movies potplayer, mkv, youtube, I reinstalled Chrome just incase.

For some reason Chrome always wanted me to login again to filelist site, now it doesn't happen anymore after the SFC. the windows updates always doing something.

So if no one is using DvdFabVirtualDrive and didn't have error or any issue, this software might cause the issue and the SFC errors. as about the Clock Stuck I still need to check. and the Vsync ON I have no idea why this is happening at the moment.
    If it doesn't happen to you then you are not using 3DTV at all, or not using "hacked" 3DTV at all. it might be it, but I'm not sure how could it cause Vsync to be ON or why would it be because of it. and it changes the Aspect Ratio too.

The clock max still P2 stuck on 670 or 607 mhz.

I'll try to uninstall AI Suite 2 cause it doesn't seem it support windows 10 anyway, for USB3 Boost.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  18. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    ouch, sounds very messy. But if you are against trying out a clean, untouched modern OS install on your hardware to see if the rig is actually stable and issue free, then you are going to have a tough time troubleshooting these obscure issues.

good luck and I hope you get to a stable PC gaming state soon.

19. X7007

X7007 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC 4090 EXT AMP
    I uninstalled AI suit 2
    changed bios AI overclock from manual to X.m.P
    changed PCIE from Auto to PEG 3.0

for now without overclock everything is fine . no Sfc errors too.

20. It's your own fault for using that piece of garbage.