Are you going ivy? why or why not?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Deleted member 216176, May 3, 2012.

1. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

It's probably worth it once you add extreme cooling and have the higher unlocked multi.

We already knew it ran great at 4.4Ghz, no one has said it doesn't run well at 4.4Ghz and we all know it's 5% faster on average clock for clock, what 'everyone' is actually saying is that it's not worth it if you are applying a respectable overclock of 4.6GHz+ and want temps to stay reasonable. The word 'threshold' has been used to describe the way the chip suddenly gets too hot after around 1.3-1.35v when stress testing.

This can be seen from Cowie's results where the chip is hitting mid 80's at 1.4v in 3dmark06 with top end air-cooling, if running prime95 etc. you can expect temps to be higher, likely well over 90c at the very least and not as practical for daily use.

It should also be noted that not only are the temps already very high but due to the 'threshold' that many reviewers have mentioned, stressing the chip in prime95 would likely bring on this 'threshold' much earlier than something like 3dmark06, so while the heating effects for 3dmark06 are linear so far and still below 90c, in prime95 the same chip likely would have an exponential increase in heat due to hitting the threshold at a much lower clock rate.

Further note that the chip doesn't have HT so that would probably cause a further reduction in relative clock rates for practical usage, nothing higher than 4.4-4.6 on top end air, unless you get lucky. According to THG Ivy Bridge runs on average 20c hotter than Sandy Bridge once overclocked, that really says it all and I should mention that as temps go up so does power usage which entirely negates any advantages at all.

Why don't one of the 3370k users with air-cooling post a quick prime95 run with temps showing at 4.6Ghz so everyone get's a better idea of what to expect.

2. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I will patiently wait for Haswell :) , so no upgrade for me on the CPU department or GPU department untl then.

As for the hot temperatures of IB this is why ( As said earlier on this tread be fellow gurus ): So why is Ivy Bridge hot?

Intel is using TIM paste between the Integrated Heat Spreader (IHS) and the CPU die on Ivy Bridge chips, instead of fluxless solder.

Read On all the information about it here: http://hwbot.org/newsflash/1693_ivy_bridge_temperatures__its_gettin_hot_in_here

3. Scerate

Scerate Guest

GPU:
    2080@2.1/1070N@2.0
    will going to IB soon too, got my 920 2-3years now don't remember exactly, but i think it's worth the upgrade even if my processor is somewhat powerful even now, in video encoding i will get quite a boost + SATA3 + new Samsung SSD should be then awesome as well.

4. slickric21

slickric21 Guest

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Just ordered a 3570k today on impulse really, saw a good deal and grabbed it.

While there is all the debating and negative thoughts on Ivy re temps, Sandybridge is still holding good value for reselling, so with a bit of luck the 'upgrade/sidegrade' will cost me around £40 which is nothing really.

Aiming to hit ~4.4-4.5ghz with it.

Interested in less power consumption, the improved iGPU (may be useful if the Virtu MVP takes off) and PCIE 3.0.

Gotta wait till Tues now for delivery due to National Holiday on Monday :(

5. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    IB looks ok for a minor oc 4.4ghz, going high will use more power and generate an awful amount of heat as proven by cowie (cowie was also running a non HT i5 cpu). HT he would of been around the 100c mark. for me running 4.7-4.8 for 14months its definitley not worth the 5% or so clock for clock advantage and the less overclockability. I have a very average chip and can run 4.8ht 24/7 on a megahalems rev b with 2 scythe 1900 rpm fans. pass this time around. maybe the next revision or I will wait till haswell and delegate this rig to back up status. if they dont fix the heat issue I will move right to haswell. nice chip, but not for me.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    There isn't any point in upgrading from SB to IB unless you absolutely need PCI-E 3.0. I had to buy new stuff due to certain arrangements so IB was pretty obvious choice for me.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Virtu MVP has it's uses, but I wouldn't expect it to "take-off".... It's a niche feature.... If you're into benchmarking with 3DMark....you don't even want it's drivers installed as Futuremark still can't properly detect the Virtu drivers and feature states so it invalidates benchmark results.

8. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    Hi Guru's, What's the equivalent clock for Ivy if my SB is 5.0ghz?

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    that bench is skewed 100 mhz in favor of IB. do you have a bench at the same clocks?
    edit heres a 2700k vs 3770k both at stock 3.5ghz
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmark-core-i7-3770k,3181-24.html

on this last link cycle though next page to see gaming benches
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmark-core-i7-3770k,3181-20.html

Last edited: May 5, 2012
  10. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    a toasty 4.8ish maybe?

11. Odellot

Odellot Guest

GPU:
    TUF RTX 4090 FO48U
    So it isn't really worth it to upgrade to 3770k from my 2600k 5.0?

12. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Looking at it from a gamer i highly dought you would know if your cpu was a sb or ivy.

The thing that sb is good for is easy high overclocks on air...never know even you might have a high multi sb chip you dont realise.
    Now ivy's thing is to have to be on pluto to overclock well, hmmmm seems back to normal to me.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Let's put it this way, why would you upgrade? There isn't going to be any noticeable difference. Sure, this is faster than my old 2600K at same clock speed in benchmarks at least but do I notice it? No. If you had to but new stuff then IB is obvious choice (like in my case) but just upgrading isn't worth it.

According to Muropaketti.com tests, 4700 MHz is equal. At least in povray2.
    [​IMG]

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    in just that bench or all benches?

15. TechFreaK

TechFreaK Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX570 Custom OC
    It was the closest thing, next is 3820 vs 3770k
    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/523?vs=551

this at hardware canucks looks good
    http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...-intel-i7-3770k-ivy-bridge-cpu-review-17.html

Btw, 2600K + 100mhz OC won't boost min 92fps to 100fps like in this review 2600k vs 3770k.. And if you check OC'ed results you can see 3770K @ 4.8ghz matches 2600k @ 5ghz
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2012/04/23/intel-core-i7-3770k-review/7

Imo 3770k is ~ 5-6fps faster compared to 2700k or 200mhz more efficient.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    if you looked at my second link its probably 2-3 fps on avg at best, with many game benches showing very little difference. 1st link showed a less than 5% avg improvement. problem is you are not going to get the 3770k to 4.8ghz on the same air cooler or low end enclosed water as the 2600k at 5ghz. the i5 in cowies futurmark benches were quite toasty on a 4c 4t chip. p95 would be near 100c. add 7-10c per core for a 3770k HT on prime 95.

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    You know i was just realising that my 3930k ht on in vantage ran cooler(h100) then this 3570K?... anyways..

had it cold today
    It went 5.44 with 1.60V @-65C for 3d06,got alittle more for other benches

more volts dont help it after 1.65v with the temps i had...did try to throw 1.70v at it but no help,did not take any ss's to speak of thuo just messing around.
    Now i have to go colder with ln2 that means airgas and getting screwed on ln2.
    $20 worth of dice gives me 6hrs(3hrs today 10lbs) even with this chip,with ln2 6hrs is 300usd.
    not bitching just saying.... nah i'm bitching.
    sry for the big screens last time deltatux

[​IMG]
    i could do this speed at lower volts but just playing to see how high i could boot and the combos reaction.
    So far on dice i miss my 56x 2500k for dx3d hell my 2600k on air gives this chip a run for its money going by the 3d i did today,hope i can do better next time.:wanker:

Last edited: May 6, 2012
  18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    One of my Core2 setups went kaput and luckily coincided with the Ivy Bridge launch. The 3570k was roughly the same price as the 2500k, so it was a no brainer to me. Compared to the Core2 I was running, this thing is far superior. I also have no plans on doing extreme OC's like the very nice 5.5ghz cowie has just above =p

People tend to forget that heat doesn't become a problem with Ivy Bridge until you start bumping the voltage up beyond a certain level. Prior to doing that Ivy should generally be no hotter than Sandy, and often even a little cooler. If you're going for a mild OC around the 4-4.4ghz range (which I imagine most chips can manage) you're better off going with Ivy. Not enough to upgrade from a Sandy bridge, but for those of us that were running older hardware certainly.

19. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    True i can go 4.2 on normal quite fan on stock voltage 1.20v
    4.4ish only took 1.28v-1.31v and stayed ok on temps under stress,but after 1.35v its a different story
    maybe ok for short periods of time if you keep on eye on temps for a bench or two but not worth the heat to go after 4.6+ for long
    just what i seen on this chip, ofcoarse they are all alittle different in that respect.

20. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    dont think there is one poster in this thread that does not know that. I tend to overclock higher than just a minor oc. I run 4.7-4.8 on air completely stable with an average volt hungry SB. theres no way I can run an IB that high on my cooler. I would have to run around 4.4 to 4.5 and that negates any IB performance increase I would get.