MSI Afterburner 2.3.0 (2012-11-19)

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by msi-afterburner, Nov 19, 2012.

1. msi-afterburner

msi-afterburner Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI N275GTX Lightning
    Hi guys, the Afterburner 2.3.0 official version is ready for you to download. this version supports the control of South Island and Kepler card, if you get the card, you may try to play it.

Changes list includes:

• Added new graphics cards support.
    • Fixed rounding error in VID generation for offset voltage control mode for CHL8318 voltage generators
    • Now it is possible to start MSI Afterburner in limited functionality mode on the systems with no supported AMD or NVIDIA graphics card. This allows you to use hardware independent features like high-performance Predator™ video capture module on any PC, even if it is using integrated Intel graphics
    • Added frametime graph to hardware monitoring module. The graph is displaying the maximum frame time on each sampling period and it is useful for detecting microstutters, which are invisible on averaged framerate graph.
    • All documentation is now provided in PDF format
    • Added unified videomemory usage monitoring implementation for Windows 8
    • Removed obsolete GPU type selection settings for some AMD graphics cards
    • Removed obsolete shader clock monitoring for NVIDIA Kepler graphics cards
    • Improved hardware database format, now custom design MSI graphics cards are calibrated in separate OEM file to minimize the risk of introducing typos in reference design cards definitions when updating the database
    • MSI On-Screen Display server has been upgraded to version 4.4.0. New version gives you the following major improvements in Predator™ video capture module:

o Improved RTV1 compression algorithm. New compression approach combines DXTC, RLE and uncompressed data saving algorithms and allows you to increase image quality at the cost of decreasing compression ratio, while keeping extremely fast compression performance. Please take a note that the previous RTV1 compression implementation is equal to the lowest possible 25% image quality/compression ratio balance in new implementation
    o Added 64-bit version of RivaTuner Video Codec. Now RTV1 videos are playable and editable in 64-bit applications (e.g. 64-bit Sony Vegas PRO or Adobe Premiere PRO CS6)
    o Huffman tables are no longer omitted by MJPG encoder to improve compatibility with applications using limited MJPG decoders (e.g. Sony Vegas PRO)
    o Now both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of RivaTuner Video Codec can optionally decode MJPG videos. Third party MJPG codec installation is no longer required to play or edit MJPG videos with omitted Huffman tables in some applications with limited MJPG decoding support (e.g. Sony Vegas PRO). MJPG decoder can be enabled in video capture compatibility properties
    o Multisource audio recording. Now it is possible to record audio from two independent audio sources (e.g. game audio and microphone sound) in two independent audio tracks then mix them later in video editing application (e.g. Sony Vegas PRO) or optionally mix multiple tracks in realtime during capture
    o Now it is possible to downmix multichannel audio to stereo in stereo rip and stereo mix modes. Previously available stereo rip mode simply rips front left and right audio channels from multichannel audio ******, whilst new stereo mix mode merges audio from front left, right, center and surround channels
    o WASAPI audio packets with timestamp error are no longer included into output audio ******
    o External VFW codecs support. Now in addition to built-in uncompressed, RTV1 and MJPG encoders it is also possible to encode video using external VFW codecs installed in the system. It is recommended to download, install and use Lagarith Lossless Codec for lossless video capturing or x264vfw codec for the maximum compression ratio, MSI Afterburner was developed to provide the best compatibility with these codecs
    o Video ****** synchronization is now based on inserting NULL frames instead of indexing existing frames
    o Frame dropping implementation has been improved to provide compatibility with external VFW codecs using temporal compression and deltaframes
    o Now output video dimensions are always cropped to be multiples of 2 to provide compatibility with external VFW codecs
    o Now framerate is calculated on each frame with sliding 1000ms window approach instead of calculating it once per second
    o Improved rendering pipeline flushing implementation for Direct3D9 applications provides more stable framerate when capturing videos with VSync enabled
    o New dynamic Direct3D rendering pipeline flushing approach can decrease videocapture related performance hit when capturing videos in Direct3D applications with high rendering framerates
    o Added On-Screen Display support for Direct3D 10 applications in Windows 8
    o Added German localization
    o Updated profiles list

Download link:
    http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/afterburner_download_msi.html

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Some recommendations on using external VFW codecs for video capture. My personal recommendation is nice free x264vfw codec, which can be downloaded here:

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/x264vfw_download.html

There are both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the codec available. You need 32-bit one only to capture video via MSI Afterburner, but you may additionally install 64-bit version of codec, if you need to edit videos compressed with it in 64-bit applications.
    Is is recommended to use the following codec configuration:

1) Select "Ultrafast" preset
    2) Set log level to "None"
    3) Enable "Zero latency" option, otherwise audio and video str3ams may run out of sync

3. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    About damn time should've been released last week

Thanks for all the work you put into it fellas

4. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    How to set interval for fps counter like on previous versions?

5. Unwinder

No way, get used to new represenration

6. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    Cmon, that value must be somewhere in cfg-s. Where is it? :D

7. Unwinder

If there was a way I'd say so. Once again, you cannot change that.

8. Xzibit

Xzibit Banned

GPU:
    7970 Windforce
    OK. Thanks again :D

9. AHPD

AHPD Active Member

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6800 XT
    How is the hardware resource utilization by this new frame rate calculation approach?

I understand there may be some math behind it, like dividing 1000ms per 60fps equal 16.6ms then determine the current frame rate calculating the difference between two frames (something like that I may be wrong) but will this increase the GPU resource utilization?
    I may sound confusing but that's the logic I have about the frame rate calculation.

10. Unwinder

The calculations are way too lightweight to impact CPU performance.

11. erm

erm Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 560 1GB
    Thanks Unwinder for new version ! you have pm...

12. Unwinder

Thanks, I'll use your updated Italian localization in the next version.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Thanks for the update :)

14. Unwinder

Sadly and traditionally with each new version launch I have to spend some time on commenting new rumors and misinformation on MSI 680 Lightning series:

No, there is no additional pressure from NVIDIA side. No, there are no additional Kepler related voltage control locks in new version. No, there are no changes in idle voltage for this cards.
    And finally, no, I didn't became wise to what some users were doing with memory hacking tools like ArtMoney on 680 Lightning series cards. I knew about hacking voltage limits on 680 Lightning AB since the very first day and see no problems with it as soon as no modified AB versions are distributed. There are zero protections in new version against it, the only reason that 2.2.3 hacks were working on 2.2.4 and 2.2.5 was the fact that those were minor software upgrades with the same 2.2.3 binaries with changes only into the database. New compiled code require new runtime patching and someone with brains inside the head to teach you to crack new version. So those who imagined themselves "kewl haxorz" after editing application memory by someone's else insturctions and expected fixed offsets to work always should learn some basics instead of spreading the rumors.

15. TFL Replica

TFL Replica Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Thank you Unwinder for all the hard work that went into this release. :)

16. elbubi

elbubi Member Guru

GPU:
    MSi RTX 3070Ti
    Thanks Unwinder for this new & improved release and for your hard work in providing us the BEST OC-Monitoring Tool.

Thanks for fixing offset in 680Lightning, now I can have my oc profile always on!

Kind Regards!

17. Unwinder

Ugh, more "conspiracy theories" from OCN to comment...

Coding "genius" finally found out that there is no protection and the only changed thing is the offset in the code, but fail to understand that it is a result of trivial source code recompilation.
    Can anyone with OCN account give a hint to that idiot to peek into this thread? Really hate seeing my name involved in some conspiracy theories born into some drunk brain. It leaves really sad emotions and bad taste in mouth after canceling my vacation this summer just to provide voltage control to 680 Lightning owners ASAP, after publishing instuctions on unlocking NVIDIA's voltage control limits at my own risk in the forum and finally after improving hidden voltage control special for Lightning even in this build, even considering that MSI don't provide this mode to end users anymore.

18. Rook1

Rook1 Guest

GPU:
    Xfx 7970 Core ed 3G
    Hello,thanks for thaïs great prog,but i've problem With the 2.3.0 version the core voltage Is locked for my hd 7970 Bios GHz.what CAN i do?

19. Unwinder

Voltage control for 7970 GHz is not supported yet.

20. Franky

Franky Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon 7950 3GB
    On my computer running Win 8 x64, 2.3 locks up when I try to configure VfW codecs.