Someone explain AA flags to me

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Rapyer, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    so i know x004 is for 4x AA, what are the next 6 numbers for, including C0 C1 or simply numbers?

2. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    are you talking about AA compatibility flags, AA behavior flags, the AA override mode, or the actual AA setting flag?

If you just mean the actual AA flag, 0x004 is not 4xAA, on my computer its showing as hex 0x10 for 4x, which is actually 16 in decimal form.

3. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    AA behavior flags. some are better than others, others give twice as much performance for same quality, others are jerky or look crap.

4. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    erm, hy there...

im not shure what u mean, but i guess teh FLAGS to override aa in some games..
    Heres a screen of what i mean:

[​IMG]

ok, i try to explain it...

1 = The actuall FLAG/Bits to Force SGSSAA, SSAA, etc on Games..
    2 = There u set the amount of AA u want to set. Example --> 2xMSAA+2xSGSSAA (thats why i need those FLAGS on number "1"...
    3 = IF u use sgssaa, u wanna set a Neg LOD, so the Picture stays Sharp and nice..

The Number of the FLAG (1) has nothing to do with teh amount of aa, its only there to let the driver know, wich Code/Flag/Bits it is supposed to use with this game so it can Force better or alternate AA options..
    The Amount of aa u set in the section "2"...

I hope that did explain it a bit...

Greetz BEtA

Edit.. heres a littel tutorial in English for NVInspector..maybe it will explain a bit more :)

also, heres somewhat Main Thread for those Bits atm...
    Its german , but they also post english..
    Its a good list with screens etc..

Last edited: Apr 6, 2013

5. Rapyer

Rapyer Guest

GPU:
    1080ti
    thanx, that explains a fair bit, but sorry i meant compatibility

for exmaple, in warframe, i set up 4xmultisampling and 4xSGSSAA and the only flags that turn on AA are the x004xxxxxx ones (most of them anyway)

i can you flags from dibalo 3, from dust, darksdiers, dead space, and they all five me slightly different results in terms of blurringness, fps, sharpness, distance drawn ,etc

i assume x004 is because i set up 4xAA flag, but what are the numbers after it mean?

0x004000c1 for example, what are those numbers? this is a fast AA flag with some weird transaprency blood floayting in air

or in 0x004412C1 (Diablo III) which gives fantastic quality aa but is slow as hell

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  6. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    no im pretty sure the 0x004xx isnt for 4x. You could use it for 2x or 8x and it would still work.

Each bit in that 0xXXXXXXX corresponds to a different engine or way of rendering. It lets the graphics card know that the game uses a certain type of shading or depth buffer, so it knows how to apply the AA more efficiently. That's why when you use the same bit in different games, some are more blurry than others.

The 4 could mean anything.. If you click Show Bit Values in Nvidia Inspector (its in the toolbar next to the magnifying glass), it will show you what bits Nvidia has mapped for each game). Alot of the flags posted are from people experimenting with flags from similar games or games that use the same engine.