Need some assistabce with AsRock z77 Extreme4

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by cupper24, Feb 16, 2015.

1. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Need some assistance with AsRock z77 Extreme4

Good morning (and a chilly one it is, too!),

I have a buddy's bricked HD 6950 that I'm trying to revive from a bad flash. When I put into my system in the main PCI-E Slot (dubbed PCIE 2 by AsRock), I get the d6 code with 5 beeps telling me that basically the MoBo cannot read the BIOS (or the BIOS simply won't POST for the MoBo to read it). Anyway, not altogether unexpected since he did say it was bricked.

My 6950 works like a gem in that slot, booting as expected. I also, for fun, tried to get the bad card to boot in PCIE 3 to no avail (just FYI). Currently, I would much rather try and boot my onboard graphics (never used til today) with the bad card in tow, if you will, to boot to DOS via USB and try to use ATIFlash to bring that bad boy back by re-flashing with one of Tech-Powerups' VGA BIOS for the card (matched to brand and memory configuration).

I can't for the life of me get the MoBo to ignore the card in the PCIE slot and boot the onboard graphics!!

Take the card out, onboard boots as expected. Put it back in with the DVI still connected to the onboard port, and "Dr. Oz" is back to throwing d6's and beeping at 5 times. I have been through the BIOS after taking the bad card back out and setting the Primary to "Onboard" in the North Bridge section of "Advanced" in my BIOS (2.90 BTW), and setting the PCIE link speed to "Gen1" for both slots, as I saw others post around the web. I also disable the "I-GPU Multi- thing, too" just in case that was forcing the MoBo to key on PCIE.

Funny thing is I can't get the onboard to take over with the good 6950 in it either (BIOS settings unchanged from above). The monitor doesn't detect a signal, but the computer makes it all the way to the user sign-in screen. Hence, if I dropped the monitor cord back on the good 6950, the monitor would all-of-a-sudden get a signal.

Question is: What may I be missing that forces the MoBo to override the "Primary Graphics --> Onboard" setting in my BIOS?

Thanks (and now I'm outta breath!)

Cupper24

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015
  2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Did you try resetting the bios? Pull the battery out for 5 min or more.

3. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Thank you, alanm. I haven't had very much time to work on this issue since I posted. I will give that a shot tonight and report back.

Cupper24

4. cupper24

cupper24 Guest

GPU:
    HIS 6950 2GB (860/1300)
    Yahtzee! That did the trick.

Why on Earth didn't hitting the Reset CMOS button (alternative for the ol' jumper method) on the back of the PC have the same result?

In any case, the MoBo FINALLY started booting using the onboard drivers over the PCIE, and I was able to successfully use the DOS version of ATIFlash and get my buddy's HD 6950 going again!

Told him that he owes me a steak. Thanks for the tip, alanm. I thought he may have bricked that thing to no return.

Cupper24