7950 Dual Monitor Screen flickers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Vagaso, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Vagaso

Vagaso Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Boost
    I have a sapphire 7950 and recently my 2 screens have been flickering together and I can't seem to find the problem. When I only use one monitor my gpu speed is 300Mhz and a clock speed of 150Mhz. When I connect my second monitor it seems to max out my card with a gpu speed of 500Mhz and a clock speed of 1250Mhz. In CCC when I have my one monitor there's 0% activity, but with two monitors the activity maxes out at 7% activity.

2. PieEyedPiper

PieEyedPiper Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 580
    I have the similar behavior with my card. 42" HDTV + 28" 16:10 LCD.
    It's normal for the clocks to rise when using multi-monitor modes. In fact, iirc, this was a feature implemented to stop such things as flickers and artifacts.

Anywho, do you know anything more about your symptoms? I'd spill my guts for you but it's your thread not mine ;)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  3. Vagaso

Vagaso Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Boost
    When im playing a game is when it only stops flickering. It also seems to flicker more when im watching a youtube video for some reason.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Try using MSI Afterburner to make a 2D profile with higher clocks

5. Vagaso

Vagaso Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Boost
    I used to have it overclocked to a GPU clock of around 1100Mhz and a memory clock of around 1500Mhz before an it still did it. I can do it again to see if it helps at all.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Trick is not in telling card to go higher when needed. Trick is in having card at high enough clock as base, since it flickers due to state transition time to time.

I had to use this override via CCC power profile till new Omega Driver release. Now card can stay at 300/150 MHz while at desktop and jump up and down as used by browser/flash.
    And no flicker.

7. Vagaso

Vagaso Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Boost
    I'm using the omega driver as well but it still flickers anyway. This has been happening before I even updated my driver.

8. Vagaso

Vagaso Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire 7950 Boost
    Update

I decided to monitor my system as it flickers and my clock speeds lower and then jump back up which seems to cause the flickering. Probably the memory jump doing it? GPU: 300Mhz to 500Mhz and Memory: 150Mhz to 1250Mhz

9. DummyPLUG

DummyPLUG Guest

GPU:
    Titan X
    just add a note, try lock the min GPU clock to 500MHz and not allow the memory clock to clock down.
    People with 2 monitor have screen flicking issue before, that's why AMD lock the GPU to min 500 and not allow memory clock to lower, this limitation had remove since 13.x (forget which version, cause I never have such problem, I am using 7970, 2 monitor connect to display port)