ETA for 7.x client

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by Svein_Skogen, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Is there an ETA for the 7.x client (the multicore + gpu one), or is that still "it's ready when it's ready"?

I'm considering putting my i7-950+gtx570 (soon to be 2xgtx570) back in business chewing Guru3D folding... ;)

//Svein

2. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    as far as i understand it only few month off or less

3. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    F@H v7.1.21

V7 is out now although it works really well I am still only getting GPU-2 core_11 WU's for my GPU's no Ocl as yet for AMD/ATI

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  4. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    It is nice to see that you have joined the Beta testing of V7 :) Can you please read my response here -> post?

5. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    yup soon as I found it was up I was in like Flynn gotta admit though it was little bit of a let down what with no core_16 WU's to do but hopefully I'll get one soon as core_11 WU's are a waste of my cards time.....

and one other thing I noticed is the client control programs inability to tell me what bonus/points an WU is worth or what PPD my CPU/GPU's are obtaining :3eyes:

6. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    The ability to display the PPD, etc isn't a bug in the V7, this feature depends on the Work Servers. The latest Work Servers have this ability but the older ones don't. The plan is to upgrade all the Work Server Codes to the latest but there isn't any ETA.

7. PlayN@Home

PlayN@Home Active Member

GPU:
    3 @ GTX 570 WC
    I'm testing it on one of my systems. Install is pretty easy. Advanced configuration isn't. :bang: I added the switch for big WU in the console but it keeps applying it to the video card and not the CPU. Mine is showing me points for GPU WU, but not for CPU WU. The video card in this system is a GTX 275.

8. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Before I commit: How does it handle multiple GPUs (2x 570) + i7? How well does it behave (does it interfere with other programs, since this is my workstation, not a dedicated folding box). How well does it handle throttling itself down as to not cause insane amounts of heat?

//Svein

9. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    well that would have been nice to find out before installation

also it's slower than v6.40 with gpu WU's I was getting an avg TPF of around 2.20mins it's now at 3.10mins and GPU usage has gone down by 24% from 99% to 75% WTH is with that :3eyes:

10. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    hmmmm very Interesting I know have a couple of Core_16 WU's running but only after adding the advanced switch if I hadn't of added it I would have never have gotten an core_16 WU
    GPU 1 HIS HD5770 1GB 920/1290 = 5936.20 PPD and 4 mins 27 secs TPF (newer card)
    GPU 2 HIS HD5770 1GB 920/1290 = 6215.22 PPD and 4 mins 15 secs TPF (older card)
    points for both = 1835.00

11. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Finally got it to talk to the net. If all goes well, I'm throwing an i7-950 + 2x GTX570 into the team pool (when I'm not using the computer myself, that is). If that works out properly, I might add more "stuff" later on.

//Svein

12. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Weird I was just looking at Task Manager and happened to notice that when not doing SMP2 WU's both GPU's hog CPU time like it's going out of fashion

whilst doing SMP2 WU = 5%~10% CPU time for each GPU
    when not doing SMP2 WU = 25%~50% CPU time for each GPU :3eyes:

what the ???? core_16 WU's are meant to be the new OCL based ones for AMD/ATI GPU's so why are they using snot loads of CPU time

13. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    multi GPU setup couldn't be easier:thumbup: it's now a dodle a child could set it up it's as easy as adding an new slot and telling it what that slot is for CPU, SMP or GPU click save and away it goes :pray2pc:

14. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Athlonite: You didn't answer may question, but I found the answer myself: Folding@home has exactly zero settings for throttling back at at heat thresholds. It couldn't care less if it slows everything else to a crawl because its priority settings never have worked properly, so it keeps on interfering. The current units are the last that will ever get computed on my end, since the software is still totally broken by design and developer brain damage. That it has gotten a nice shiny gooey for setting up multiple clients at the same machine is nice, but there are other things that are more pressing, like making the software actually behave properly and not interfere with regular use of the computer.

//Svein

15. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    Ah sorry bout that hmmm yes it's not right yet I get desktop flashing if i have say spider solitaire and the client control window open at the same time and most of my 3D games even one as crappy as Bejeweled 3 stutters really badly after a while of playing... So yes throttling itself down is not working right when you want to use you PC for other things

16. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Svein_Skogen -> I don't understand your issue since I haven't read anything like what you have described. My advice is that you post in the Official Forum and give as much details as possible and if you have discovered a bug, a ticket will be opened and it will be resolved.

Athlonite -> It is nice to see that you are involved in the FahCore_16 Beta Testing. The current version is in beta stage and there are known issues with it (Thread, Thread) so please be patient for a new version to be released (either the drivers and/or the FahCore_16) and you will notice that some, if not all, of your issues will be resolved.

Thanks for trying out the new V7 :)

17. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    yeah cheers PantherX I know it's only BETA and I know things will improve over time and updates whether those are driver or new FAHcore so I'm happy now to sit back crunch a few WU's and see what happens...
    I gotta say though outta all the F@H setups I've done and used this by far is thee most easiest to setup and get going except for one little detail I had to manually add "client-type" "advanced" to the extra settings for the GPU slots but other than that I'm lovin it

18. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    The need to do this will be "GUIsed" -> Ticket :)

19. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB