RX 470 and possible PSU problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Apparatus, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    Today i installed an XFX rx 470 4gb vga.
    http://xfxforce.com/en-us/products/amd-radeon-rx-400-series/rx-470-rs-4gb-dd-triplex-rx-470p4lfb6

As you can see, the weak link in my system is the psu.
    An entry corsair 400w psu, with 6 easy years on it's back.
    Both XFX and AMD suggest a 500w psu as a minimum.
    I was hoping to evitate the upgrade as the rest of my system does not demand a lot of energy.
    I had also in mind a Guru3d review that recommends a 400w psu for an rx 470.
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/asus_radeon_rx_470_strix_gaming_4gb_review,5.html

Unfortunately after 5 minutes of Dirt rally*, the pc restarts.
    I think it's a classic usufficient psu symptom.
    The GPU-Z sensor log file shows a maximum consumption of 50w, and the strange thing is that the last reading(just before the restart) is 42w.

Do you think that i should check something else before i buy a new psu ?
    As i dont' have the money now, is there anyway to cut down the card's performance, in order to suspend for a month(max) the psu upgrade ?

For example, i show the Wattman utility, and as new to AMD card's i wonder if there any settings that can help me downclock, power save or whatever.

*i didn't checked other demanding games. My daughters had a 2 hours session of Rayman Legend without any problems.

edit : i ran dirt's built-in benchmark with ultra settings, and gpu-z interface(no log to file) showed 140,4w power consumption.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Quote from Guru3D's review

AMD Radeon RX 470 - On your average system the card requires you to have a 400 Watt power supply unit as minimum....
    If you are going to overclock GPU or processor, then we do recommend you purchase something with some more stamina. There are many good PSUs out there, please do have a look at our many PSU reviews as we have loads of recommended PSUs for you to check out in there. What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load:

bad 3D performance
    crashing games
    spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
    freezing during gameplay
    PSU overload can cause it to break down

400 watt is the bare minimum...you could try a more demanding game and see if it shuts down...BUT...>I would not recommend doing that...

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Power supplies deteriorate over time, given that 400w is the bare minimum and yours is already six years old I'd say it's safe to say your PSU is the issue.

4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    +1 on the PSU. You really should invest in a a PSU that is rated higher than what you need, since:

1) Less stress on the PSU allows for cooler operating
    2) Better efficiency when not being maxed out
    3) Less stressing = longer useful life
    4) Growth potential built-in

This is why I bought my CM Silent Pro Gold 1200W. It was on sale at a good price, and was futureproof. Also, the Gold rating is even better since I am only tapping a 1/3 of it's potential. I was also running SLi back then, so I needed more power.

Only thing I've ever needed to do for it is replace the 135mm fan (yeah, I know, lolwut 135mm) with a 140mm fan, and added four new mounting holes. Dremels can be so useful.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016

5. Spartan

Spartan Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 PCS+
    Personally, I wouldn't run a gamer pc on a 6 years old 400w PSU.

6. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I think the low power draw of the card shows that the PSU can't put out enough. I have a 650 watt PSU and my 470 draws from 70-100 watts depending on the game.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    sounds like overcurrent protection kicking in....or the system is just losing power entirely. Replace the PSU....

8. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    Thank you all for the replies.

I already ordered a Corsair RM750X beauty.

9. koniu

koniu Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    RMx PSU is great but why 750W. Your entire system need probably ~200W.
    550W should be enough for You, 550W is enough even for i7-6700k and GTX1080.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2016
  10. Apparatus

Apparatus Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 ti Vision OC
    I also thought that the purchase of the 750w mode will be an overkill.
    I wanted to buy the 650w model, but i found it at 108euros, and the 750w model will cost me 122euros.
    I think i can afford the difference, considering that a psu with more watts will have less strain, and i will be on the safe side for future upgrades.
    As i am an ex hardcore gamer, o/cer and hardware freak who is back in business after a 5 years break, i must admit that i couldn't resist on the 62,5A of the 12v rail that the 750w model offers.
    I will probably never need those Amperes on the 12v rail, and i know that even a 550w model can do the job for me, but that's how i decided.

I still can change my order though, and i would like to have opinions from other members.

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    You done good OP.....Keep the 750watt order for sure,

Happy gaming!...:)

12. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    750W supply will still likely be more efficient than using a 550W PSU - less strain and will likely last longer as a result.

If it's one rule I go by when shopping for PSUs is, never skimp on quality, get the best one you can get.

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I don't think the 14 euros will kill you :) keep the order.

14. silis

silis Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 X 8G
    yeps PSU it's the right thing to to