No Big Bang? ...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Whiplashwang, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Whiplashwang

Whiplashwang Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 PNY
  2. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It has no beginning or an ending. It's just there.

3. NomadAssassin

NomadAssassin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB SC
    Idk man the Reapers said that to me once and there was all sorts of ass kicking. Not that it has something to do with that but Commander Shepard proves everyone wrong at some point.
    "Keep it up tough guy. You'll leave in a bag" - Commander Shepard

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Until we can take a starship to the center of the galaxy and breach the great barrier to speak to god well never know.

5. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    Anything is possible.

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Be easier just to wait till we die :)

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Well that is 100% all us Guru's out as only the good will get to see him. ;)

8. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    From what I can tell the "No Big Bang singularity" referred to is part of the "universe" hypothesis, which afaik has been replaced by Quantum Physicists in favour of the more widely accepted "multiverse" for quite some time now.

With multiverse there was "a big bang" creating our universe and laws of physics, however it was not THE Big Bang.
    Instead it was of many infinitely recurring big bangs, each one creating a new universe with it's own random laws of physics.

At the beginning of the bang there were no laws of physics, they came some time later when things had cooled off a bit. This is part of the Higgs Boson thing, the particle which creates mass.

Also "the big crunch" ending has been outdated for a long time - that was Hawkings' theory, but the discovery of accelerating expansion - and more importantly Dark Energy - changed that picture completely.

Due to the total amount of Energy and Mass measured in our universe, scientists now believe their will be a "Big Rip", not a big crunch.

I prob sound like a total Star Trek geek, but it's just been a closet interest of mine...lol. I'm not a geek.

This presentation explains things in laymans terms. I don't really like Krauss, imo he's an arrogant narcissist but his lectures are very interesting and humorous.
    The "from nothing" part is his own theory, everything else he talks about is empirical.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  9. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Just another theory...

10. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Theories but better ones then god :D

11. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Ha yeah :)

12. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    This is very interesting any way you spin it.

The Big Bang is just a (human) theory anyway, allbeit a valid one based on current observations and theories by physicists.

The multiverse theory is basically the same, however it assumes multiple universes were born in that fashion AFAIK. Which seems like a probable and sound presumption.

Of course, the BIG question is what was there before the "bangs"?
    Neither mass nor energy just exist out of the blue, to our knowledge, so it's very interesting to think about the actual "moment of creation" in physical terms.

Plus there is a certain law, the second law of thermodynamics that is (to our knowlede) valid throughout the universe:

"all systems tend to go towards their energy minimum"
    ie towards the maximum entropy (=state of free energy).

This, in turn, means all systems tend towards "chaos". As it's the least-organized (=chaos) state that contains the least energy.

In laymans terms this means:
    do nothing and your house starts seeming like "chaos" (=the minimum energy state).
    To bring order in to it (to clean up) requires bringing energy in to the system.

And surely we all can agree that cleaning up, ie creating order out of chaos, consumes (=requires) energy.

A certain well-known physicist once said:
    "say you can disprove the law of gravity, and I will listen"
    "say you can disprove Newtons laws, and I will listen"
    "say you can disprove the second law of thermodynamics, and I'll say you're crazy".

In the end, and in the beginning, there's only chaos.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  13. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT Nitro+
  14. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    If the universe has no beginning, it should already be cold and dead.

15. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    According to?

16. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    The universe will "end" one day meaning that the energy that fuel the stars will end one day. The universe will be totally dark and there will be no support for life. It will take some billions of years. But before that the sun will become a red giant and consume the Earth as it diameter grows. We won't have the chance to see this.

17. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
  18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Haha, classic ;)

IF there's something after death.

All our theories are flawed by our very existance and mindset. With our current understanding of reality itself, may it be three or four dimensions that the common yokel like me percept, or the superdimensional string theory (only called like that so yokels like me can give it a name), it's all still based on our mind thinking in dimensions.

The true answer, if there even is one, is beyond what we can grasp. All that is and exists is beyond the idea of an all powerful god (what was before god?) and the big bang (what was before the big bang?). The path towards true knowledge would ultimately mean true power, and I personally believe the search for it, be it philosophical or scientific or religeous, is a worthy and honorable goal, but it certainly should not lead us as humanity in it's current state to an answer.

Better put our energy into cleaning our house or building new rigs, that's what yokel me says :D

19. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    It follows naturally.

How long do stars live in the context of eternity? The fuel runs out eventually.

^^This

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Doesn't conservation of energy sort of mean that won't be the case. Yes Stars die not because the energy just ends but because it changes state, the energy is still there it is just in another form.