Movies Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by hallryu, Dec 3, 2011.

1. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  2. Doug

Doug Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970
    @Poison from previous thread

+1 Ghost Dog is one of the best films I've ever seen, amazing soundtrack too, the OST is an amazing album :)

3. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    Sry Hallryu yea you were right that 2011 is a prequel. I just watched the original again and it does "end" where this original starts..

But this prequel has a lot of the flashes from original - way to much imo.

4. zhengzhoudave

zhengzhoudave Guest

GPU:
    4GB EVGA GTX680 FTW 2xSLI
    Kaleid and others said in part 1 of this thread that "The Devil's Double is very good" or something like that.

I'd just like to add that it's the best film I've seen this year!

Some controversy over it's legitimacy - no actual proof to back up the claims of the person who it's based on - but who cares?

It's BRILLIANT!!!

5. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    i watched PARANORMAL ACTIVITY 1 and 2 recently. well, maybe its sht to u all but i enjoyed..can u advice me movies like these?

and the EXORCISM MOVIES pls? i watched AMILY ROSE or what ever it is..not bad..i need movies like these.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol

Will it entertaining? Probably
    Will it be predictable? Most certainly

I appreciate and understand the need to only release films which have some semblance of recognition with the mainstream audiences - but srsly: Tom Cruise?

He's old.
    He's not that great an actor.
    He's short.
    He's self obsessed.
    He's old.

I totally admit that I'd like to look as good as he does at his age, but; c'mon - get some new blood in this series.

There's gotta be some new blood out there that would:

Out-act Tom Cruise.
    Stand taller than Tom Cruise.
    Not try and be the centre of attention.
    Look young and vibrant.

You may feel this is anti-Tom, but it's not - I believed he was good in 'Collateral', but you need to realise it was only because he was suitable for the role.

What makes MI work is having a young and confident agent that gets thrown into a situation out of their control, and above their internal perception of capability.
    The character should then dig deep into their character, overcome the situation and save the frickin' day. They learn about themselves; we learn about them and their environment of espionage. They grow, we grow.

What this film will be is most likely as described by Sean Ambrose in MI:II;

Ambrose

If you look at Hunt's operational history, he invariably favors misdirection and deception. For a start he won't go into Biocyte from the ground where he has to risk confrontation with security. No, Hunt will prefer to engage in some sort of acrobatic insanity to enter Biocyte somewhere through the atrium where security is minimal...Ethan does it the hard way to avoid confrontation. Neutralizing security guards is simply too distasteful to him...

Popcorn-fare...

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Tom Cruise is the only reason i'm even bothering to watch the new Mission Impossible movie.

He is slightly crazy and does stunts that no other actor like him would even dream of attempting, and that alone make it more believeable, and not like there is a decent young alternative since there are no young action stars who are any good, so we would end up with crap people like Shia Labeouf or Chris Evans.

8. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    Or Justin flipping Timberlake....

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Hollywood is choc-full of young actors ready and able to star in a leading role - it's just that no one has the balls to do it.

The situation is completely understandable; we are talking about millions of dollars here. Millions.

The people that invest in movies need to have a return on their investment - you would too, if you were being asked to invest $250 million into a film. Heck, even if someone asked you to invest $1 million into a film, you'd have reservations, right?

Sad thing is, there are plenty of actors and actresses out there that could well be completely amazing - but we never here about them, just the ones that are 'bankable'.

All about the $...

10. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    Ever noticed that they havent made a single DECENT movie based on a video game?

There a lots of games with awesome stories out there and they just wouldnt make movies out of them.

11. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I still have hopes that lionsgate will turn dead island into something big.

12. Poison

Poison Maha Guru

GPU:
    3080 12gb
    i was watchin the craft

13. pedropaulo

pedropaulo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD5850
    Drive.

One of the best movies of the year, an instant classic.

8.5/10

14. Jayaitch

Jayaitch Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 460
    I recommend Tears of the sun if you can take a harsh movie - Good but also shocking.

Recently saw The Inbetweeners movie, good but expected it to be more outrageous.

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Last man Standing: Killbook of a Bounty Hunter

Last man Standing: Killbook of a Bounty Hunter - this guys artwork/ Graphic novel is being turned into a movie check out his deviant art page for what its like http://adonihs.deviantart.com/gallery/7848546 the book is going for something like $900 on amazon

16. llerenaprincipe

llerenaprincipe Ancient Guru

GPU:
    DIAMOND X1950XTX 512MB, 650/2000Mhz
    aww yeah :)

17. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    Frogs (1972)

[​IMG]

9/10

18. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    I really liked Chris Pine in Star Trek. Don't know why they don't caste him that much.

19. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, he was ok, i just prefer action stars to be abit older, find it easier to take them serious, especially when most Hollywood actor look a good 10 years younger than they really are.

Since i'm being forced to watch Xmas movies by my GF, this was last nights choice.

Santa Claus: The Movie - 1985 - 5/10
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089961/
    [​IMG]

Obviously a kids movie, but still not as good as i remember it, and definitely won't end up alongside other holiday classics which i loved when i was a kid, and still do now.
    Special effects held up better than i expected, but the story didn't.

20. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    If you haven't seen this movie, you need to go see it right now. It's just, wow.

[​IMG]