Mind your head

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by elkosith, Feb 18, 2015.

1. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    That's your student in the picture?

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Yeah because that little dangling sign in your picture will stop someone's head from being stuck.

Take responsibility for your own actions. Luckily your student wasn't driving a car and got distracted.

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    No I would not sue the mall. You think the solution to these issues is law suits. Why should the lawyers profit from doing something that should not have been done in the first place. It is a learning experience for the person. All these lawsuits do is condone stupid behavior because of the money that can be extracted. Situations like this, right, wrong, justice, truth do not have a place anymore. All that matters is how good a salesperson your mouthpiece is.

Like I said, a sign will not fix the attitude that was demonstrated. Unfortunately only accidents of this nature can do that. Some individuals need to be hit over the head with a brick, so to say, before the lesson is learned.

Signs are all fine and well but to shift the blame to the mall because there was no sign is no solution. Having caution signs is not the insult. Saying that your student would have been saved the embarrassment if the sign was there is. Accidents like that indicate that a lesson needs to be learned to not disregard common sense safety rules.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  4. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Lucky lass! I dont think it's the mall's fault though.

Keep your head where it's meant to be. Head straight, back straight, eyes forward.

5. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    No. I wrote clearly: very similar to this.

Yes it does, that's why I say it needs to be there. It's very simple, easily placed, cheap, and it works. Why you so against it?

Relax, she won't be driving any car in near future, she's only 11.

The sign is not to fix any attitude or any stupidity, it's not a solution to someone's misbehavior. It's to prevent the damage that might happen. This thread is not about fixing stupidity. Stupidity is inevitable, happens everywhere, every time, to everyone. It's all about preventions, which in this case doesn't exist, and in my opinion is an issue.

If you think the lack of that sign is not an issue, then we are not agree to each other, and this conversation would never end.

My thought is simple: put a sign, damage avoided. Why make things complicated?

6. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    I read this thread a few times and thought you were talking about an adult this entire time.

7. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    It's not complicated. She has learned a valuable lesson that will hopefully stick with her the rest of her life. Like I have said, the damage is what is necessary sometimes for an individual to actually learn from the incident. Having the sign there would prevent that and allow the attitude to continue on to possibly bring about more dire consequences. Worse case scenario, say she did not make it through this, news would have spread and she would have been held out as to why one should not do the exact same thing. Therefore allowing others to learn from her mistake.

Gross negligence is an entirely different subject and it does not exist here.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  8. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    What makes you think she's a very stupid person that does stupidity all the time and needs a near death experience to learn her lesson? This incident is just an unfortunate event that has nothing to do with her daily life. It's a scary experience for an 11 years old girl and what you do here is making her looks like a complete idiot. You don't even know her.

So you think there should be no sign because it would prevent people learn from the damage? How about ban all signs and safety measures so that people can learn from their mistakes.

9. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE

This is a similar situation involving a mall. Lady is distracted and falls into a fountain. Should the mall be responsible and put signs everywhere to warn you of the upcoming fountain?

Bottom line is, your student was at fault for not paying attention. Now that we know she was 11, perhaps it will teach her to be more aware of her surroundings.

10. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    the above is the best reason for allow youtube clips on this board.

11. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    You just blew my mind. There's nothing life threatening there. If it was a construction site with hazards in front of her, there would my many signs there isn't it?

This escalator has a dangerous spot, why putting a sign that could prevent damage is a huge problem with you?

You don't need to tell her to learn her lesson. I'm sure this bloody experience would stick in her memory for the rest of her life

12. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Not life threatening? What if she fell into the fountain, hit her head and got knocked out and drowned?

Anyways, I'm done with this thread, your arguments make no sense and you're putting the blame completely on the mall instead of your student who you admitted wasn't paying attention.

13. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    What I have written and your interpretation of it is a very common misconception apparently in your culture as well. I have never once said that she personally is a stupid person. I have continually stated that her actions were stupid. Intelligent people do stupid things all the time. One's actions and mental acuity are two separate subsets of what make us who we are. They can be independent of each other. That is why one should never call another person stupid. The action can be described as stupid; not the person.

Like I have said, gross negligence is not part of this scenario. Gross negligence is like constructing a high voltage substation in a body of water and disguising it to resemble nothing of an electrical nature. Person goes for a swim and dies from being electrocuted. This situation does not come close to anything of this nature.

Her actions for this instance is of a stupid nature and it is lucky she did not end up losing her life over it. Like has been said before, not everyone needs to experience bodily harm to know extending any part of one's body past a guardrail on a moving platform is not a good thing to do. Doing so would be risking bodily harm.

Like I have stated, it is unfortunate that she chose to be educated in this kind of fashion. She has learned a very valuable lesson that hopefully will stick with her for the rest of her life.

Just because one can, is it wise to? What would be thought of an individual who stuck a metal rod in an electrical outlet? There are no warning signs that one is risking death if they so chose to do so. She has learned and will never do anything close to that again. Yes it is scary and rightly so. Otherwise what is learned?

The more stupid the action, the more mortality moves to the forefront.

Ignorance of that statement does not make one immune to it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
  14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    So

Elkosith wants to but the entire blame on the incident on the mall owners and a fair few here while, including my original post, aren't defending the mall owner but instead putting the blame entirely on the head (no pun) of the student.

How about we just agree that the mall owner could just put a safety screen there and the student could just have been a bit more attentive to what was going on around her, however Elkosith why are you so on board for a sign being there, it's already clear that she probably would not have paid attention to it or at the very least would have done what she was going to do anyway, that the sign would have prevented the incident by having her bang her head on that first, which lets face it really isn't a solution now is it?

15. Yecnot

Yecnot Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    Elkosith, the pub is not the place to seek empathetical rationality. It seems that the common consensus around here is that her dangerous experience was well deserved because of "stupidity". Source? "M-muh natural selection :wanker:"

16. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Think before putting such vile words out for display. Who here said she deserved what she experienced? Let alone being well deserved. It turned out to be a learning experience, fortunately.

Who would be so sick to even attempt to covey such an absurd thought. Every choice has consequences whether they are realized or not. When a dangerous stunt is attempted, a dangerous outcome is risked whether realized or not. Even stunt professionals will tell you that. Does not matter how well the precautions taken are. The risk always remains.

The resulting outcome was unfortunate. She may have been too young to understand that risk even existed but that does not mean it does not exist. She has an idea now and will never attempt something like that again.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
  17. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    I'm back. Was out for holidays..

Well to be honest, I already got the points that you guys presented to me since the earlier page. After reading some of the comments I saw this as a chance to practice in making arguments. One of my tuition student is taking critical thinking and we have been practicing in debates for quite sometime.

It's difficult to make good arguments based on weak premises indeed...

That's wasn't the original purpose of this thread though.
    Anyways, thank you for arguing with me :D

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015
  18. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Absurd? If you put your head in a stupid spot expect bad things to happen.

Unfortunate? No luck involved. Stupidity plain and simple.

Lesson to be learnt. Move on.

19. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Good to know that you are a sick individual who thinks the 11 year old experienced what she deserved.

EDIT: We should all worship one as perfect as you, oh wise one.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2015