No Big Bang? ...

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Whiplashwang, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    This doesn't say anything. The point here is that Dark matter and dark energy are placeholders to describe something we don't know yet. There are a number of possible options for what those COULD be, but since we don't know, we've given these vague names. Until we do. Could simply be that dark matter is just neutrinos, in which case there is no dark matter, just neutrinos.

But the core of the point is that dark matter and dark energy are what is used to describe a theoretical thing. Dark matter is not THE thing, it is a placeholder for THE thing, which could be a reworking of how we understand physics, or neutrinos, or some other particle we don't know yet.

2. red6joker

red6joker Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming
    The names are the names of what they are not of something we know nothing of what we do not know is what dark matter is made of. That does not me we know nothing of it. Google is a thing hell I posted a link that explains a little about it but I guess you did not want to read. Not reading science articles might be why you have the view you have, it just sounds like you want to say if you cant see it, it doesnt exist like gravity since that is "just a theory" like some like to keep going on about.

3. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    You're really arrogant, and misinformed.

Not only that but you're totally contradicting yourself.

First you say cosmology is a philosophy, if that's your view what are you doing in this thread. GOD is a philosophy.

The big bang is not philosophy, it's science,

We can't see air but you breathe it.

So you're believe cosmology is philosophy, when it's a science, then discount something on lack of of empirical evidence.

Do you even know which side of the argument you're on. Or do you always like to switch teams halfway through the game?

I'm done with this whole place.

Seeya.

4. Hootmon

Hootmon Guest

GPU:
    XFX THICC III Ultra
    That depends a bit on which side of the 'bang' you are talking about.

5. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    I totally disagree. Like was said in a movie," Once science figures out all the answers, they will realize that faith has been there waiting for them the whole time."

Even science say's that you can't get something from nothing. You can't, by natural means.

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The bible hints that man will never have enough time to get all the answers. The world will slip away into chaos first. It doesn't surprise me really, why would the ultimate creator want to give away his secrets?

7. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    Well perhaps that's at the center of the universe rather than our galaxy.

To add there are many different perceptions on how the big bang actually happened. Some believe in the positive negative charge thing, others believe that mass poured into empty space and exploded like a star. Universe could have even been bigger at one point and is only getting smaller.

For all you know there could have been another big bang in X amount of (un-measurable) distance away from ours.

Ill also leave you with the question of, how can something exist if it is not infinite? I mean seriously... you kinda just have to say that mass/energy is infinite.

8. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    My question to you is, how can one have a closed system with a rigid set of internal properties, when the system itself violates its own fundamental principles?

9. Frances

Frances Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti

Wow nice.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson is now irrelevant.

http://www.businessinsider.com/neil-degrasse-tyson-dark-matter-2013-12

... So What else do you know about the cosmos than the LEADING Astrophysicist in the world?

Okay I kinda trolled you by being ambiguous about the source, business insider doesn't scream science but the interviewee bleeds its. I knew you wouldn't read it. In your mind you didn't have to?

You don't verify ANYTHING before posting nonsense.

Please check your ego at the door when you challenge a known professional. I even gave you a link, which you didn't check. Oh well.

That yellow highlighted stuff in your post is relativity.. see my previous post. I can give you some pointers if this is new to you.

The big bang is a theory, it has been until right now.

Philosophy and science were the same thing until a couple hundred years ago. It was never meant as an insult.

So good riddance?

EDIT : Another banned member? Check my profile origin.. Oh wait you never verify ANYTHING. Glad I am on your radar? I can pretty much say anything and I can count on an inaccurate reference from you. So maybe I have a license to be wrong?

2nd EDIT : Okay I am going to forgive you. You obviously have never taken a serious science course or a philosophy course in school in a first world country. But basically you learn that a lot of things that used to be thought problems i.e. metaphysical were both scientifical an philosophical.

Einstein is considered one of the most brilliant minds of our times because he derived his theory that is still being proved today from random observation about light and then he did all with math. Like I said I can help you learn, but I can't make you think.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  10. Frances

Frances Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti
    Back to my point and to answer the OP. Cosmology and Astrophysics in general is and has always been a thought exercise. Sometimes we get new data, i.e. larger telescopes, higher energy particle accelerators, newer techniques. It is very unglamorous, most of the discoveries happen through very complex mathematical theory. This story is about an arbitrary switch in a specific parameter, which causes a drastic change in long understood theory. Make no mistake this discovery was made on paper, not in a telescope or a measurement. Is it true? Maybe.

Astrophysicists are the sorcerers of Academia. They invent so many things and magically make calculations work through fudge. Google strange matter. I think we talked about dark matter enough. Strange matter is a type of matter that can mysteriously hold itself together in stars spinning so fast all matter should be ejected(think of the sun rotating a few times a second). Rather than go back to the drawing board, they invent a new type of matter.

When I say it is different than legitimate science, it is for a reason. These astrophysicists mostly make nice theories. Legitimate science makes 3D transistors, like the one I am typing on now. I am not trying to say they are unnecessary but they are more like political pawns at this stage because of grant money and the influence of religion.

One of the first theories about the universe was that we are (the earth) is on top of a tortoise, and under that are tortoises to infinity. We must accept that one day we may sound as more silly than the tortoise theorists.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    No, unfortunately it was something less sophisticated, single episode thing basically about the concept of the multiverse, and how it matches the cosmic inflation and the problem of what could have been before the big bang.