Samsung S27a950D discontinued...which monitor is comparable?

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by drac, Sep 23, 2013.

1. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Was going to get this monitor for a relative. Setting up a new PC for them.

I previously owned this model and it was pretty much the best in class as far as colors go @ TN 120hz.

Now finding it hard to get one... so I may have to get an Asus or Benq instead. 1080p is enough.

Any recommendations?

Thanks. :hatty:

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The Benq GW2760HS would be a good choice. Don't confuse it with the older GW2760HM model.

The HS has the flicker-free backlight (non-PWM), and looks to be the best value for money monitor around currently. It is also uses the latest AMVA+ panel, so should look better than TN panels. It has great reviews online (put the price into perspective). Just a note, don't rely on using the crappy inbuilt sound, but that goes for just about any monitor! Most places are selling it for $299 or $300 (in QLD, MSY, Umart, or Computer Alliance).

Now I have to admit that by no means equals the S27a950D in terms of features etc, like 3D etc, but is that really necessary? It seems Samsung seem to think not, since their new monitors don't have 3D.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2013
  3. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Sorry should have mentioned, needs to be 120hz. Thanks for the help regardless. I think Benq are better also. Have owned a few, both good.

Looks like I've found a S27a750 anyways, if they have stock. :)

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Really? Someone still sells the S27A? Hope you get it for a good price! In Samsung nomenclature, the 'A' is the model year. It varies between devices, but for monitors 'A' is 2011. The 2013 model year is S27C, which you can see on the Samsung's product pages.

I guess the Benq XL2720T would be a good alternative, at $599.

I presume 120 Hz for gaming motion?

5. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Ahh didn't know that, thanks. Use is for web/gaming, some movies possibly.

lol well... I also spoke too soon. Samsung 27" 120hz screen are just unobtainable (brand new ones). So looks like its Benq.

Why on earth Samsung discontinued such a great monitor (their only 120hz+), I don't exactly know. My only guess is they have something better in the works. Because that was a pretty damn foolish move if not. :3eyes:

Maybe people shifting towards higher res and better panels for gaming could have something to do with it. But I personally could not stand 60hz for gaming. Got a Overlord tempest 27" IPS @ 110hz currently. But this is too much fiddling with OC etc for my relative, so not an option. I hope Samsung's next panel is a 144hz PLS lol :)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  6. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Many panels will do 75 Hz fine (straight from the product tech specs). To enable 75 Hz easily, you can use a program called 'custom refresh utility), made by ToastyX.
    http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

By the tech specs, I mean where it says the vertical and horizontal refresh rate ranges, not simply '120 Hz' or '60 Hz' etc. Unfortunately for some reason the Benq XL2720T tech specs are missing, but for instance the screen may be capable of 144 Hz. I'm not saying it is, just that it's usually more than the stated 60 Hz or 120 Hz etc.

It's quite easy to use, the settings when you add a custom refresh can be automated by the dropdown 'timing' thing at the top of the screen. Just select the appropriate one (LCD) enter the resolution, and refresh you want.

Don't forget to download the monitor driver. It's not a driver like a display driver, is an inf + ICM (colour management profile). Many monitors have these for download.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2013
  7. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Which has better color and image quality, Asus or Benq?

Anyone used either 27"?

8. mkh

mkh Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070Ti O12G
    At default setting colors are very lifeless and dull on my Benq XL2420T compared to Asus VE278Q that I used to use as my main gaming monitor before getting this Benq display. Had to crank the saturation to 125-135 on CCC and color calibration of XL2420T is a nightmare, never couldn't get it right. Smooth motion (lightboost via ToastyX's strobelight tool) on a 120hz panel still makes it a better choice for gaming over a jittery 60hz display, at least for me.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  9. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Thanks mkh.

I might be going for a Samsung S27C570H instead of 120hz. Not sure its going to be worth it. Probably will be more web surfing going on than gaming, and I don't think even any FPS gaming, except minecraft lol. The PC is for for a bunch of young kids and a dad.

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If that is the case, then I strongly recommend my original suggestion, the Benq GW2760HS. Remember, GW2760HS, not GW2760HM (which is the older version).