softFireGl 8.453.1 on 3870x2 running

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by spainman, Sep 21, 2008.

1. spainman

spainman New Member

Hi,

got today that 3870x2 asus card with 4x dvi. I ordered it to run a home cad station with triple 24" displays and hoped to get the firegl mod working.

It's simple. The 3870x2 appears in the system as two 3870 with devid 0x950F. Used the riva tuner script for the 8.453.1 and made the according changes for the different devid in the script and in the .inf file. Called the card V7700 but that should not matter. The gl driver installed without problems on each of the two reported cards. Installed the ccc and even that works. :banana:

sw01 score is up from below 20 to around 80 and thats with an old core2duo at 1.8Ghz (waiting for nehalem...). Soldidworks 2008 Sp4 runs smooth and looks great now with realview enabled.

A thousand thanks to the guys that worked out this hack. It could not be easier. Love it!

Cheers,
    Spainman

2. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    3870x2 @ V7700-XP64-8.633
    but still.. since there's no crossfire option in x2.. you only get the performance of a 3870, isn't it ?

3. spainman

spainman New Member

I get 4 gl accelerated displays from a single card. So while the raw fps performance has not changed from a single card it's still a huge performance gain considering the doubled display area. At least for my cad work this is 100% more important than a few extra fps so I'm getting same fps but double the performance.

The other side is that I can always start the computer from another partition with the original driver using CF and play games and that the x2 occupies only one slot so I can use the other one for a serious gaming card (main reason why I did not order two single 3870 instead).

Last edited: Sep 21, 2008
  4. emre2blue

emre2blue New Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GS 256MB
    Hi I'm also thinking of buying a 3870x2 card for softmod. Will I not be able to use its two GPUs? Will it stay like normal single 3870 card softmoded?

5. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    yes because there's no crossfire support with FireGL.. so you can only use 1 3870 after softmodded

6. spainman

spainman New Member

The x2 is not faster than a normal 3870 - no gain in raw speed performance as a softGL card. Just great for multi display workstations or simply if you happen to own a x2 and want to mod it for ogl use you can do it.

7. emre2blue

emre2blue New Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GS 256MB
  8. kilema

kilema Master Guru

GPU:
    It says it will come out in Oct.. so MAYBE (who knows) there will be crossfire support for FireGL but now we will just have to wait..

9. emre2blue

emre2blue New Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6800GS 256MB
    I agree, with you. I will buy 4870x2 and wait. I waited 6 months for SoftModQuadro for my card. Whill then I will play games :D:D:D:D