New USB Wifi dongle, low speed after moving upstairs.

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by signex, Aug 19, 2014.

1. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Hi

Need some help getting my WIFI speed up, something is really wrong here.

I'm now getting 20mbs upstairs, downstairs i get 80mbs.
    And i know that how farther i am from the router affects the speed but 60mb is just not right...

What i've tried is changing radio band to 5Ghz, i heard that could help alot.

My router is a Cisco EPC3925, and Wifi dongle D-link DWA-182.

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Try a different wifi channel too, and check if there is anything interfering between the router and the PC

Depending on your house you could lose a lot of speed having to go through walls and floors, better off using Powerline Adapters or run a cable upstairs

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

5 GHz won't help. Your most feasible solution is to get a USB cable say, 2 or 3 metres long, and try different locations for the connected dongle. It can make a massive difference that's more impressive than believable :).

4. snip3r_3

snip3r_3 Guest

GPU:
    Wifi depends on a number of factors, most notably, the material of your house.
    In a wooden house, Wifi is generally very strong regardless of where you are. In a concrete one for example, signals can be completely gone just one floor above or below the router. Other things such as wireless house phones, usage of microwaves, bluetooth usage, and large metal objects in between the client and router can affect your signal quality.

Does your EPC3925 have a 5Ghz radio? It seems like the 5Ghz variant is optional. Most of the time, unless you are in a high traffic (5+ neighboring 2.4Ghz Routers), switching to 5Ghz will REDUCE range and speeds at an identical location versus 2.4Ghz. This is because the range of 5Ghz is shorter (shorter wavelength) and is subject to more interference. However, if you are in a high traffic area with many 2.4Ghz radios, then switching MAY help.

I suggest first to plug the USB stick in a USB 2.0 slot as 3.0->3.0 interferes with 2.4Ghz (and a whole spectrum of other frequencies) if it is not properly shielded. Also make sure you are either using an extension cord or plugging the USB stick on the front panel versus the back panel on the motherboard (your chassis and table may block the signal). If that does not help, then there is really little you can do as you may just be too far from the router. I'm not familiar with your modem+router combination, but there may be some option to change the TX transmission power. These are usually set to medium or something like that and you can try testing it at higher output levels. This however, may not always work as your client may still be sending back a signal too weak.

The best Wifi installation practice is to simply install multiple APs and set them all to the same SSID for complete coverage. There is really little you can do because the limitations are often physical constraints due to your building and distance.

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    Ok 5GHz seemed to help, i'm getting 8mb/s download speed now.

The dongle came with a extension cable, i've put the dongle on my desk, seemed to have helped as well.

So, is it not possible these days to achieve 15mb/s through WiFi?
    I thought buying this would have done the job. :(

300Mbps means it can do 37mb/s or something, that's what i found through Google.
    I'm guessing it's the modem i use is not fast enough?

Results as of now:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  6. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    So you seem to have solved your problem?
    Those 'results as of now' look right to me - but I don't know what type of Ziggo internet you have.
    Btw Speedtest is showing the maximum upload speed of your internet connection here, so that's why it's lower than your download speed.

1 MB/s = 8 Mbps (37 MB/s = 300Mbps) . I don't think millibits even exist ;)

EDIT: I have never seen a wifi router doing the full 37 MB/s. Perhaps half of that with no walls. I get around 8 MB/s in my bedroom.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  7. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Super
    When i used a cable i was getting 15-17mb/s download speed.

8. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Ziggo 180-18 should give you around 21.4 MB/s down over cable when using usenet.