Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) on Kepler?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by fr33jack, Sep 22, 2014.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Yup, I can't wait for it.

2. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    You can use DSR in windowed mode.

Enabling DSR in NVCP simply adds additional resolutions to your resolution list. If you want to use DSR in windowed, you first have to set your desktop to a dynamic resolution, then select the dynamic resolution you want in whatever windowed game you want.

3. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    So that means DSR in window mode isn't possible if my desktop is in 1080p, its exclusive to full screen mode only.

4. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Exactly. Just like how 1080p isn't feasible if the desktop is set to 720p.
    It's more of a general resolution thing as opposed to a DSR specific thing. There shouldn't be much issue if you run multiple monitors, but if you use only a single monitor, I can see how it could be a problem.

5. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    I activated DSR through nVIDIA Control Panel (because i uninstalled GFExperience due to problems with SweetFX), but no matter what, the games won't seem to start, Task Manager shows them loading 50% CPU but nothing seems to load.

- Bioshock Infinite

I get a black screen and nothing seems to happen, driver is 344.16 WHQL

Guild Wars 2 didn't get past Loading Screen now it does but i see no difference so far

I've set it to 1.50x Native Res and this setting appears: 33% Smooth (Default)

EDIT: After messing with the res increases on DSR, it seems like the problem was MSI Afterburner 4.0

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  6. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Interesting, i bet it doesnt work with Geforce Experience uninstalled evenm if the control panel shows options for it.

7. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Sorry for not reading older posts but does DSR have anything special compared to traditional downsampling with custom res? I can do 4096x2160,didnt try higher since theres no point anyway cause i have ****ty fps.

8. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    I can confirm i see no difference in Guild Wars 2 after taking screenshots with and without DSR (with GFExperience uninstalled, however i'm not gonna stop using all the SweetFX i have on my games because of this), various Res multipliers tested, none worked.

So i guess we need GFExperience indeed, i'll wait for them to fix the problems related to SweetFX, or that SweetFX gets fixed instead.

9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    DSR gives the user the ability to control the sharpness or blurriness of the filter that resizes the rendered image. Also, DSR doesn't screw with HDTVs if you happen to be using one. A few downsides is that it only creates resolutions that match your monitor's aspect ratio, disables the custom resolution button in NVCP, and doesn't work with triple monitor surround (at least, not in my experience). Other than that, no, it's basically the same thing as creating custom downsampled resolutions, only a lot easier.

10. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I see, thanks.

11. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Exclusive full screen.

By the way, if you take a screenshot with dxtory for example, the image will be 4K (assuming that use the 4.0x).

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    That is what is annoying about downsampling/DSR...the fact that screenshots are at the full resolution not the downsampled one. I wish there was an option in Afterburner to take native resolution screenshots as one of the reasons to downsample is to improve the image quality but all those full-size screenshots are going to show all the aliasing, etc, you were downsampling to avoid in the first place!

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yep. It's annoying. In Dxtory you can do this though:
    [​IMG]

BUT... It will not obviously look the same because the downsapling algorithm NVIDIA uses is better and adjustable, this is basic bilinear resize.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Another feature that is fullscreen exclusive hurra. is it so difficult for them to make it work in fullscreen and windowed.

15. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    So, any news on new driver rls which supports DSR with Kepler?..

16. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Actually... It does work. You just have to set it as desktop resolution and start the game. DSR is basically custom resolution but with ability to adjust the resizing algorithm. It would be better if it worked like supersampling though.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Set what as the desktop resolution? could give an example of what would have to be done to get it to work in windowed/windowed fullscreen?

Or are you saying I have DSR my desktop to get DSR to work in game which exactual what needed to be done in downsampling threw custom resolutions?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
  18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    The thing is that those games that use fake full screen use desktop resolution. So, you select the DSR resolution as desktop resolution. The downsides are obvious though (since your desktop and all windows will also be processed) but it works.

Though, I guess it could also work without changing the desktop resolution. It probably depends on what game you use (still, assuming that it does switch to other than current desktop resolution it will scale your desktop too).

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Gona have to wait and see i guess, would be nice if it internal does the scaling on windowed games so desktop says same res cause my monitor can have 1440p or atlest scale it but look a really bad on desktop in game it fine but most mmo i play are all played in windowed fullscreen.

20. anthonyl

anthonyl Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800XT
    I tried this feature today with BF4 and after some time started to get psychadelic screen.... temps were the same as usual around the 65 degree mark...

I turned it off and went back to 1080 and it went away...

Is it broken?