Old Dell for Gaming?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nz3777, Jun 14, 2017.

1. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Just got an older Dell machine and I recently upgraded my Gpu to a Gtx 980 so I have a spare Gtx 780 sitting around...I checked and the Dell has a Intel Pentium or Celeron sorry dual/core cpu in it socket 775 running 3gb DDR2 lol,I installed Windows 7 sp1 on it so I am wondering if i throw this card on there whats going to happen?

There will be a Bottleneck I assume but at least will be able to play some games better then the intel/igpu no? Also kinda worried about the power supply,I might need to pick-up an additional unit just to power up this 780.Thoughts? lol:)

2. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    That 780 would need a good enough PSU, yes. I suspect an "office" Dell PC would not come with a good PSU. Around 450W would probably be the minimum for a 780, although there's other consideration as well (amps on the 12v rail.)

So if you get spontaneous machine resets or shutdowns, it's probably the PSU not keeping up.

The GPU is certainly absolute overkill on that PC. But it will make 100% sure you're not CPU-bound :) The integrated graphics from that time were horrible even with such old Pentiums and Celerons.

3. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Yeah lol I tried playing a couple really old games from my steam library on the dell and it did not do to well, So looks like my bare minimum investment would be around 50-60 bucks for a new power supply lol. The one in there now is a no-name 150 watt max output so I would not even attempt it hehe.I also have a spare sad 90 gb corsair I plan to put on there speed-up load times but here's the kicker....Guess what I found inside the dell once I opened up side panel? There is a Asus ac66 Network adapter slotted into the pic slot, 3 antenna 802.ac - Has a beautiful red heat sink on it. Got the whole thing for $5 bucks at an estate auction. Lol

4. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    So figured if I can get the Gtx 780 to work in there it can be used as a temp gaming solution in case something happens to the other rig. Oh I tried streaming and also that did not work out to well either.

5. kegastaMmer

kegastaMmer Guest

GPU:
    strix 1070 GTX
    if that thing can fit a cheap core 2 quad , which are still not scare to find around, it will be enough to play something like competitive MOBA or even old FPS like battlefield 2/3 . but thats another story

6. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Yeah I thought about doing something like that, Going to check e-bay see what I can dig up. That or I might just stripvl the insides out and use it for a new build sky-lake or something on the cheep, not sure yet.