Overclocking Slider Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Mike89, Jul 2, 2001.

1. Mike89

Mike89 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    I am using the latest Rivatuner.<br>
    I have a GTS 2 Ultra<br>
    12.90 Drivers<br>
    <br>
    This is what I did.<br>
    <br>
    Used Rivatuner and changed memory clock to 500. Then I went into Powerstrip to check it. It still showed default 458.18.<br>
    <br>
    I know Powerstrip reads directly from and to the chip so I knew something was not right. I verified this by doing a timedemo (Quaver) in Q3. As I suspected the fps was the same for both 500 memory speed and default speed.<br>
    <br>
    I then did the same timedemo changing the clock with Powerstrip. A definite increase with the overclocked setting.<br>
    <br>
    This is what's really weird. My son has a GTS 2. Now when he changes the clock with Rivatuner, it does show the change in Powerstrip. We are using the same drivers.<br>
    <br>
    So with the GeForce 2, it works.<br>
    With the GeForce 2 Ultra, it doesn't.<br>
    <br>
    Any idea why that is?<br><br><i>This message was edited by Mike89 on 01 Jul 2001 09:57 PM</i>

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Mike, what OS are u using? All pre 12.90 w2k Detonators has a bug, whick prevents overclocking from overclocking to 400MHz or above. This bug can be fixed with RivaTuner's NVXTInitFix patch script. But it seems like u're using w9x coz RivaTuner doesn't properly support overclocking for 12.90 for w2k.

3. Mike89

Mike89 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    I have Windows ME on both mine and my son's computers.<br>
    <br>
    I even tried un-installing and re-installing the 12.90 drivers. Same thing, overclock slider doesn't actually do anything other than change the numbers.<br>
    <br>
    Now when I change the number in Rivatuner, it does also change in the Nvidia display sliders (but not in Powerstrip). But like I said, it's not actually changing the speed.<br>
    <br>
    Seems like something is broken in the drivers. But why does it work with the GeForce 2 and not the GeForce 2 Ultra?<br>
    <br>
    Powerstrip does change the speed because it is driver independent.

4. Unwinder

&gt; Now when I change the number in Rivatuner, it does also change in the Nvidia display sliders (but not in Powerstrip). <br>
    <br>
    So I'm afraid that I'll not be able to fix it coz RivaTuner uses driver's functions to set new clock frequencies.

5. Mike89

Mike89 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Dam, that's a bummer. It also doesn't work with the 12.60 drivers either (for the Ultra anyway). I haven't checked it with the 12.41's but I suspect it is broken there as well being the WQHL certification. <br>
    <br>
    I'm surprised that other Ultra owners haven't noticed this yet. Do you think some people might rely on the overclock numbers without bothering to check if it's actually increasing the speed? I suspect so.<br>
    <br>
    So is there any way for you to change the overclock section to be driver independent like Powerstrip does?<br><br><i>This message was edited by Mike89 on 01 Jul 2001 11:20 PM</i>

6. Unwinder

&gt; So is there any way for you to change the overclock section to be driver independent like Powerstrip does?<br>
    <br>
    Not in RivaTuner. Its' aim is to extend driver's possibilities, but not to add new ones. Maybe I'll create external overclokcing tool, but I will not add low-level communication with hardware to RivaTuner.