Nvidia Fast Sync Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Vbs, May 28, 2016.

1. Vbs

Vbs Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix 970, 1506/7806
    Lets gather all fast sync info in one thread. :)

Youtube: What is NVIDIA Fast Sync? (article source)

This can be currently turned on in drivers 368.22 (or above) using nvidiaInspector and setting "Vertical Sync" to 0x18888888.

My experience so far:
    368.22: Seems to be working, but there is some noticeable stutter in games; the vsync flag clears after reboot, so you need to keep enabling it.
    368.25: Less stutter (placebo?); the vsync flag is kept at 0x18888888 even after a reboot (yay! :))

Addendum: Quickly installing drivers 368.25 for any card (in the spoiler below)
    1) Get a modded nv_dispi.inf for all cards and replace the one in the folder where you've unpacked the driver (by default it's C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\368.25\...\Display.Driver). Here's mine for Win10 x64.

2) Reboot into the windows boot menu and choose option 7) Disable driver signature enforcement (this only lasts until next reboot, so you don't have to do anything later to get it back to normal state). To quickly get this menu on the next reboot, open an admin command prompt and type: bcdedit /set onetimeadvancedoptions on and reboot (a fast way to reboot immediately is just typing shutdown /r /t 0).

3) Install the drivers normally.

Last edited: May 28, 2016
  2. Crazy G

Crazy G Guest

GPU:
    EVGA Titan X SC 12GB
    Just tried it with 368.22...stutters!

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    If you can't maintain e.g. 120fps+ then it will sometimes use anything between 70 and 90 (short transition 1-3sec), until it finalizes at 60fps..
    Or just glitches a bit 90 -120-144-120-120.1-120-144-120-... Or use 144fps for few moments.. Saw all that in FEAR1 Combat MP and itmade it worse then just default 60fps limit + vsync.

I have newer 368.25 installed, but didn't tested yet:nerd:

4. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    Tried fast sync in doom. Was a little better than vsync in terms of mouse input lag, but its laggy compared with no sync at all....

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Current Fast Sync implementation is buggy. Even if you cap your framerate to an exact multiple of your refresh rate, you still get micro-stutter. I use 75Hz in CS:GO for example, and if I cap to 225FPS there should not be any micro-stutter, but there is. This is true for all other games too that are able to run with very high FPS (Pinball FX is another example.)

Fast Sync runs in hiccup mode. 100% Smooth for 5 seconds, stutter for 1 second, 100% smooth for 5 seconds again, stutter for 1 second again.

Hopefully they'll improve the implementation.

6. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    Could I still use Fast Synch in combination with a framerate limiter (RTSS) to save power? Or would something wacky happen?

7. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You can. But if you cap too low, it's gonna be like vsync when it comes to input lag, but with extra stutter. So worse than just normal vsync.

For 60Hz, you need to cap to more than 120FPS. For fast sync to actually feel low-latency, you need to reach at least 3x your refresh rate. For 60Hz it means you need to reach 180FPS, or even better, 240FPS. Yes, that means fast sync is pretty much useless for performance-heavy games. It only works with games where your FPS is in the several hundreds.

But as I said, it's buggy. When you enable fast sync, frame rate goes all over the place and jumps between multiples of the refresh rate in many games, and there's some heavy micro-stutter every few seconds.

8. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7700 XT
    Thanks for clarification.

9. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Ye, i noticed the stuttering too.

I tested World of Warcraft at 100 FPS and every 2-3 seconds there is a hickup.

Don't need FastSync for Blizzard Games anyways as they have a Hardware Cursor :)

But games like Skyrim and Fallout 4 have terrible Mouse Lag with V-Sync on, so FastSync would be a great solution for those games.

10. Antares88

Antares88 Guest

I've been using this in Rainbow Six: Siege for a few days and not had any stuttering. Input lag is greatly reduced over the games own Vsync. I've noticed people seem to have issues with stuttering on a single GPU and not with SLI.

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Only works In fullscreen Exclusive.

Windowed/Windowed fullscreen borderless it has no effect that I can see

this is in 368.22

12. Vbs

Vbs Guest

GPU:
    Just tested in WoW using 368.25, seems buttery smooth. :)

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    isnt Fallout4 capped at 60 fps like Skyrim? and unlocking it and going past that fps cause were things to start happen?

14. Vbs

Vbs Guest

GPU:
    I've added to the first post some quick instructions on how to get the modded 368.25 running on Win10 x64.

I'm interested to know if you guys find any difference between those and the 368.22. :)

15. Zybane

Zybane Guest

GPU:
    Quad SLI 3GB GTX580
    I want to try this so bad but no matter what I do I cannot get .25 to install with my x64 Win 10 with 980Ti.

I've done the test mode way, done the way above with disabling driver signing, put the new .inf in the Display.Driver folder.

Always comes back with driver failed to install.

I tried Fast Sync on .22 but don't think it is working properly with those drivers. It capped my FPS to 60 just like normal V-Sync.

16. Vbs

Vbs Guest

GPU:
    Try this: WinKey + R -> gpedit.msc
    Now go to User Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System -> Driver Installation -> Code signing for device drivers and choose Enabled (Warn).

Reboot into the boot menu and try again.

17. Zybane

Zybane Guest

GPU:
    Quad SLI 3GB GTX580
    Thanks, tried it but it didn't work. This is what I don't get about Windows, something like this should work across the board. There is nothing special about my windows install.

18. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Tested Windowed, Windowed Fullscreen and Fullscreen but it keeps the hickups every 2 seconds.

Must be my crappy 680 or it's my Monitor which is only 60 Hz.

But as i said, i don't need it for Blizzard Games as they have a Hardware Cursor :)

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    you sure it works in windowed and windowed fullscreen cause in my test it dont work, if it did it would override the no fps limit in aero version of vsync in those windowed games and do 60 if it cant hit 120 which it does not.

20. BeeJAyP

BeeJAyP Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980Ti Hybrid
    Is anyone having trouble with it seemingly working the same as others but with screen tearing?

No matter what game I am playing it doesn't sync, or seems to sync only occasionally, it's like having no vsync but with stuttering, Doom, Dying Light, Homefront etc. This is with both drivers.

I do have multiple monitors + oculus rift plugged in if that matters.