Spencer "Not every Xbox One game should be 1080p"

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Serotonin, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  2. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    I somewhat agree with what is said in that a smoother frame rate or better visual effects is more important than its resolution. Having said that though the GPU in the Xbox is a lesser version of the PS4 and he's trying his best at putting some positive spin on the situation.

3. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Yey! more click bate titles..

Dude simply says hitting a stable frame rate should come before resolution which I agree with him.
    ..or game on pc and get both :3

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    But, "teh cloud". lol

But yeah, MS dug themselves into a hole, now try to build a ladder out of dirt to climb back out. lol

5. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    I don't think they did.

The only major mistake they made was not being competitive at launch by forcing people to buy a more expensive console due to the inclusion of Kinect.

What they should have done is offered a 'kinectless' console at launch. If they had, I suspect the sales figures would be closer than they are, but it's early days in the 'race' and both companies have many punches to pull in the coming years ;)

I have both Xbone and PS4 and they are both great, both have great exclusives and when you are sitting 6+ feet away, the difference between 900P and 1080P is not noticeable.

PS4 edges the Xbone out where sheer power is concerned and maybe that was an oversight on Microsoft's part but in the grand scheme, they are fairly similar in terms of what they can do.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  6. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Microsoft marketed the XBONE as an all in one entertainment system, highlighting the ability to watch cable while playing a movie. The voice navigation was extensively shown too. Meanwhile Sony marketed the PS4 purely as a games console. The whole DRM drama massively hurt Microsoft as well, who have been playing catch up ever since.

7. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yeah but it really is early days tbh, very early days.

I'm not saying that either is going to 'win' as I really couldn't care less about that kind of thing.

All I care about is that they both have games that I want to play and as of right now, they both have released games I like and they both have games in the pipe that I am looking forward to.

Win/Win :D

8. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

If you think of Far Cry 4, if they make it the same across all platforms (most stupidest idiotic move they can do, especially since the bullsh!t claim that PC is lead platform), at least it also means the game isn't all that it can be on PS4 either ;).

Next thing Ubisoft will be saying PC users have to game at 900P because Xbox can't handle 1080P.

Is Phil Spencer any relation to Frank Spencer?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014
  9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^"Ohhh Betty, the XB1 done 900p on the carpet".

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

lol.

In regards to the Far Cry 4 crap, wouldn't an ubisoft be a clear sign of erectile dysfunction?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2014

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    While I agree that detail is more important than resolution. It doesn't need to be said and both, in 2014, should be able to be achieved.

PS4 had no issues making one of the most beautiful games to date in Infamous Second Son, and did it in 1080p. Kill Zone Shadow Fall is no slouch either.

I'm just irked by MS constantly trying to justify being weaker.

12. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    To be fair, I've seen stuttering in Killzone (in several places) so the PS4 is by no means flawless.

I haven't spent much time with Infamous yet but what little I have played was awesome and issue free.

I do agree that MS should just shut up and get on with it as opposed to making excuses for it's weaker machine.

Let's face it, neither of these machines are 'next gen' by current standards. One can just about do 1080 across the board and the other manages in some titles while it has to drop down in more demanding games.

I don't think these boxes are going to have the 7 year lifespan of the 360/PS3.

13. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    The 360/PS3 lifespan was a fluke. No system has made it that long before them. I think these systems will last 4 or 5 years tops before they get refreshed. e3 2017 they'll be showing off the next systems that will hit in the spring of 2018.

14. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yah, sounds about right :)

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    While I agree not every game should be 1080p but what Ms should try to do is make their games look like 1080p by adding very good details etc. I mean look at GTA V on both the PS3 and the Xbox360 that game looks like a 1080p game even at 720p because of all the details that Rockstasr Games put into that game and MS should try to emulate that.

16. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    The issue I have is, every game that has been multi-platform and run below 1080p on the xbox one had the same amount of details, no more, no less than the ps4 version which ran 1080 just fine, with I believe exception to watch dogs.

So they say resolution isnt more important than detail, but the details are the same on both machines, it's not like xbox one is pushing high resolution textures or more realistic lighting at the expense of resolution.

It's false justification.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

When the Xbox 360 and PS3 were released, they were both losing money on the sale of the unit side of things for quite a while. For the Xbox One and PS4 they wanted to make money on them straight away, which was at the expense of better hardware.

They have suggested that future generations of consoles, including the current one, won't be around for as long. If they continue to use AMD hardware you could expect a new unit around 2016 (at least prelim information) since its around that timeframe that AMD will have its post-Bulldozer based architecture which is supposed to be quite different.

18. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    at the end of the day they are both games consoles, if you don't like the look / feel of the games then simply don't buy them or the console problem solved, I have 2 PC's, PS4, PS3 and the Xbox360, my PS4 I haven't used for around a month its just sitting there gathering dust, when my daughter comes around she has choice of gaming platforms to play on, and 90% of the time she chooses the PC or the Xbox360, she tells me that she likes the look of the games on the PS4 but rather play the xbox360 because she likes the games better LOL oh well wast of time getting the PS4 lol i'm mainly always on my PC so although games may look better on the PS4 she still rather play on the Xbox360 although she is only 7 lol ... I suppose she's already going to be the type of gamer that likes game play over visual quality ... so its each to there own as long as you enjoy the games you play it should not matter what format its on .. I guess.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2014
  19. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Does she play mine craft by any chance.

20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Can't say I blame her, the new gen library isn't all that great right now.

I liked the teaser for Crackdown in E3 .. hopefully by the time it releases they will have a hardware refresh too :p