Im a noob and need help - ATI HD 5700

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Daftnader, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Daftnader

Daftnader Guest

GPU:
    2 x XFX HD 5770
    Hello all.

I recently upgraded my OS to 64 bit ultimate from 32 bit.

After install i noticed that my graphics cards, 2 x HD 5770's in crossfire, are not working.

I go to device manager and it says that i have 2 standard vga graphic adapters. One has a yellow triangle.

Now bear with me on this. I have tried everything from windows updates and manually getting the latest drivers from ATI.

The windows update does not do it and when i manually download and install the drivers, i then restart it. Upon restart it will blue screen during load up. I have even tried to just uninstall the driver when it boots, it says restart, then gay windows just reinstalls them.

I then have to boot it up in safe mode and go to system restore to put it back to how it was and its driving me mad.

When i go to device manager and properties. Under the general tab it states that this device cannot start code 10.
    The driver says its here - c:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\vgapnp.sys

Obviously i just want to install my drivers again I just need some help on what to do. Both cards were working before reinstall. Anyone help me?

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Try installing one card at a time instead of both at the same time.
    i.e if the first one installed fine, only then you put in the second one.

In order to prevent Windows from using Windows Update to automatically acquire drivers, just turn off Windows Update, disable your wireless device or yank the Ethernet cable off.

3. Daftnader

Daftnader Guest

GPU:
    2 x XFX HD 5770
    Right.

I have done that. I now have 1 card in there. It has now let me put the AMD program in, but wont let me launch it,but is still blue screening on restart when i do a manual install of drivers and the windows update way.

Anything else i can try?

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    What is the BSOD error?

5. Daftnader

Daftnader Guest

GPU:
    2 x XFX HD 5770
    [​IMG]

Thats what it says when it reboots after completing the installion and reboot of drivers.

Any ideas?

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's a Timeout Recovery error.

Install your cards one at a time, if it happens again with one card but not the other, then it could a problem with the card.

7. Daftnader

Daftnader Guest

GPU:
    2 x XFX HD 5770
    Many thanks for that.

It is doing it on both cards. I have swapped them over as well to see if thats the problem.

I have noticed that when it is in its standard vga mode and then i install the drivers, then restart, it will show the above screen. Then its restarts and pop it into safe mode with networking, go to device manager and see that the ATI drivers are in there. I can only then rollback the drivers to previous standard ones.

This is driving me mad now lol. Any other ideas people? I can get into safe mode after a reboot, perhaps i can do something in there.

I know that this is not straight forward. Sorry dudes.

8. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    In any case, make sure your system is clean from any previously installed display drivers before attempting to install another version of Catalyst.

Get TwL's genetix cleaner, extract it to a folder.
    If you want a 'peace of mind', get DriverSweeper as well; get the one that is not hosted in Guru3D.

Reboot, go to Safe Mode.
    Open Device Manager, and Uninstall everything under 'Display adapters' (not Disable).

WinKey + R, then type 'cmd', press Enter; in Safe Mode, everything should be in Administrator privilege.
    Go to the folder where you extracted TwL's cleaner into; press Tab to speed-up typing file/folder names.
    Run gpuclean.cmd; select 1 for fuss-free cleaning, select 2 if you want to be, well, selective.
    Close the command prompt window after it's done, or just type 'exit' and Enter.

If you had downloaded and installed DriverSweeper, run that too.
    After it's finished, don't reboot when it asks you to.

Next, open Device Manager again and refresh it (a.k.a. 'Scan for hardware changes'), so that Windows installs Standard VGA (or something like that).
    Reboot out of Safe Mode, and then try to install a Catalyst package again on a single card.

The process looks lengthy, but it's actually quite simple. =b
    HTH though.

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Are you using the latest Catalyst 11.10's?

10. Daftnader

Daftnader Guest

GPU:
    2 x XFX HD 5770
    Nah - 11.8 im trying. Is 11.10 stable then?

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yup, I'm using them now. Solid as a rock...

That vgapnp.sys is the default vga driver when no other driver is available...

12. Daftnader

Daftnader Guest

GPU:
    2 x XFX HD 5770
    Right done it. Extracted the folder. Logged off, rebooted in safe mode. Went to device manager, uninstalled, went to CMD, then into the Genetix folder, ran program, cleaned everything out, scanned for hardware changes, found ATI drivers, installed them, rebooted, BSOD CRASH AGAIN.

Had to go into safe mode again and piss about with it to get it into standard mode again.

Seems to me that these will just not work when i have installed ANY ATI drivers and ill have to play pooey facebook games forever :(. Unless, we can try something else? Sorry. This is frustrating.:bang:

13. Daftnader

Daftnader Guest

GPU:
    2 x XFX HD 5770
    Just for the record, 11.10 didn't work for me either. Do i have to do an express install or a custom install and point it to a certain folder when i install the 11.10 or ANY download. Do you think by getting the XFX drivers will be any different?

Thats the only 2 options i can see left available to me.

14. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This is probably a dumb question, but when you 'upgrade' your OS to 64-bit, did you do it by reformatting or installing over the old 32-bit Windows (for keeping existing custom folders & files intact)?

15. att_user

att_user Banned

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5870 2 GB
    Do a new windows install.

16. Daftnader

Daftnader Guest

GPU:
    2 x XFX HD 5770
    I formatted the Hard drive , then popped a fresh copy on.

Its really not hard to install drivers but this time its proving to be a bit of a bitch.

17. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    750w high powered PSU wit is not very confident. What brand is your PSU, plus, how much amps have in the 12v rail.

18. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    When u do a custom install the directory you choose is only where the files are extracted to, then they are installed from there to Program Files folder.

You could try extracting the .exe and then updating through device manager instead of using CIM...

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Hey mate I think I may have a possible fix for your problem. Apparently BSOD is common when installing Catalyst drivers on a Crossfire setup...

Try this:

Go to: C:\ATI\Support\DRIVERVERSION HERE\Config

Open "InstallManager.cfg" with notepad, go to this line: WorkaroundInstall=false. Change false to true and save.

Then go back to the folder with the driver version and launch setup.exe

Check here also...
    http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...atalyst-10.7&p=4487479&viewfull=1#post4487479

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=135120&enterthread=y

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?254038-Catalyst-10.6-released

20. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Try to read the first post thoroughly.
    He only reinstalled the OS, and it was working fine before.

@Daftnader
    Did you set 'PnP OS' (or something similar) to 'No' in BIOS when you installed the OS?
    Some say it's better to set it to 'No' whenever you fresh install an OS.
    It's an advice from way back then; dunno if it's still applicable or not.

Maybe you should try another OS reinstall (Win7 installs fast anyway) with a reformatted drive, but this time with only one card installed.
    If that goes smoothly with subsequent driver updates, then go with the second card.