DVI Cable - does size matter?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by applejack, Mar 4, 2008.

1. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    ATM, I have my SONY HD 720p LCD TV connected to PC via 15m D-SUB/VGA.
    PC and TV are located in 2 different rooms. :beam:
    while I do get a picture, its somewhat distorted. overall quality is awful.

15m analog is a no-go, so I thought of using digital instead, which leads me to the following questions:

1. should I expect good quality when connected via 15m DVI cable?
    2. is there any difference in quality dependant on a DIGITAL cable's length ?
    3. my output source is DVI. should I get any benefit of using a DVI to HDMI cable, instead of using a DVI to DVI one ?

2. Zapmaster

Zapmaster Sherlock Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 4870
    1.)Yes, it's a digital cable, you'll either get the best picture it's capable of, or none at all.

2.) No.

3.) No.

Sounds more like you need to play with your resolutions/settings. Use whatever native resolution of your TV is for best quality.

3. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    check your pc resolution in the tv manual. its not gonna be the tv's max resolution. that probly why your picture is distorted. mine is a sony rp 720p lcd. 1168x568 is my best res for pc hookup.

4. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    looks like the tv's manual has no English... but I could spot "1280x768" res on the manual.

anyway, I assume 1280x768 is the native res, as I could only select 1 of these - 800x600 / 1024x768 / 1280x768
    any other resolution gives no signal (when connected via D-SUB).

that 1168x568 resolution of yours is kinda wierd. did you custom made it ?
    because I dont see this one in display settings.

btw, I can definately see that picture is harmed by the analog connection. the whole screen is like flickering and blurry. I think it has nothing to do with native resolution. "distorted" isn't the word to use probably.
    maybe refresh rate related though.

well, thanks for posting, ill go get myself a DVI cable asap.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008