MSI RX470 Resolution error

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by JimmyJump, Aug 20, 2016.

1. JimmyJump

JimmyJump Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX470 GamingX 8GB
    Bought an in-between GPU in the form of an MSI RX470 GamingX (8GB) to replace my ailing (V-RAM wise) MSI R7970 Lightning. In-between, because I tend to upgrade once more next spring when the Big Boys are released.

Anyway, I took out the 7970 and screwed-in the RX470 and was confronted with a few messages on screen saying I needed to re-boot the PC "in order to apply these changes". I thought "these changes " meant that the GPU drivers had adapted and needed a restart, but to my dismay, when the PC rebooted, it was somehow in a resolution my monitor (a Samsung Series 5000 FullHD 37inch TV) can't handle...

Since I couldn't see anything I had to re-install my 7970 GPU and as a result, here I am :(

So, where do I go from here? How do I get the RX470 to work on my PC in the intended 1080p resolution?

2. JimmyJump

JimmyJump Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX470 GamingX 8GB
    Ah-well, another one for the history books, or maybe the Dark Secrets Of PC Fiddling. Works now, somehow.

Okay, so, a little explanation for those concerned:

The R7970 had a DVI cable with a 5mm flat hole with two pin-holes above and two pin-holes below. The RX470 however doesn't have those 4 pin-holes. The cable I used was an AGP with a DVI adapter because my monitor/TV has an AGP/PC inlet.

But, the TV has also a HDMI/PC inlet, so I used a HDMI cable to connect the monitor tot the new GPU, which for some reason didn't want to work. F.Y.I.: those /PC inlets are there to let the monitor/TV know that a PC is hooked up and that it needs to start and close when the PC boots and shuts down; else you'd have to manually handle the TV...

So, next I deleted my Crimson drivers, shut down the PC, swapped the 7970 for the RX470 and still no luck.

Then I took the HDMI plug out of the TV and plugged it into "HDMI_3/BluRay" and whaddayakno, I had lift-off, or better, picture :D

Then, I installed my Crimson drivers again, rebooted and then swapped the plug back to "HDMI/PC" and everything bathes in oil :p

Sorry for bothering you for naught...

3. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    What you mean to say is, you used a DVI-I to VGA adapter.

The reason the HDMI connection is better is because VGA is an analogue signal compared to HDMI (which is completely compatible with DVI-D) which is digital, this also means no signal processing is required.

4. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    lol yea op needs to label it correctly!
    I would have tried to use it with out an adapter all together like with just a hdmi cord....but if it works it works

5. JimmyJump

JimmyJump Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX470 GamingX 8GB
    The adapter wasn't the point since I have been using that for five years with both the TV and the R7970...

The point was that for some reason, when installing the RX470 and connecting it through HDMI cable to the HDMI/PC slot on my TV, it didn't work and the TV gave me an error that the resolution wasn't supported...

Only after having swapped the HDMI/PC for the HDMI03_BluRay inlet on the TV did I get a picture and was I able to re-install the latest drivers.

Then, for some unfathomable reason, when I swapped the HDMI cable back to the HDMI/PC inlet on the TV, it did work where it didn't before...