ASUS R9 390x Strix or MSI GTX 970 Gaming taxe prices +3yrs longevity @1080p

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by sandvic28, Aug 15, 2016.

1. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    NVIDIA insisted it's a software issue (which I believe). Ask the guys in the owners thread in the NVIDIA subforum about that.

2. sandvic28

sandvic28 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8Gb Stock
    Ah right i forgot this was an amd subforum XD my bad :)

3. Sizzor

Sizzor Guest

GPU:
    4 GB
  4. sandvic28

sandvic28 Guest

GPU:
    I was just at the store, it turns out that pricing has gone up again on the 1070 (800dollars) due to availability -_- however and to my surprise they have a Sapphire rx480 8Gb reference model for roughly 460dollars....if i take into account the advices here and other threads on choosing the newer tech and considering this price then it's a relatively good deal, should I bite and order it ? the 1070 is out of range for me now, and 390x is more expensive with only a little to gain from it vs the 480... just worried about the reference cooler and the power issue.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2016

5. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    The power issue is not a problem anymore, it's been fixed with a driver but I'd want a better cooler, in that case try to get a Powercolor or MSI for the best coolers.

6. sandvic28

sandvic28 Guest

GPU:
    I'm afraid there isn't any available with custom cooler else I would have to wait another month or so for them to come here :/ looks like i'm stuck deciding between newer tech but reference cooler at a relatively cheaper price (480) or the older tech with a better cooler at a higher price (390x strix)... any advice ? XD

7. sandvic28

sandvic28 Guest

GPU:
    Anyone ? :/

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    I have a Sapphire 390 Nitro, and I can survive on it very comfortably @ 1080p. I can wait until the next gen of cards come available, so the 390X should serve you nicely.

The RX480 will give you 12_1 support, and you could look into aftermarket cooling options later. Tho, I would prefer you get an 8pin version of the card, so if you have to wait a month, it'll be worth it. Performance-wise, it'll serve just as well as the 390X for your 1080p gaming.

The GTX1070 would be the better performer of the three, however, as you stated, is also costly.

9. sandvic28

sandvic28 Guest

GPU:
    I see, thank you for your opinion :) I will think about it some more.

10. TDurden

TDurden Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 390 Nitro
    Didnt read the whole thread.

As someon***279; already said 390X or even a "simple" 390 will be much better then GTX 970 in long term.
    As for brand.. I prefer Sapphire. MSI is also good. I wouldn't get Asus 390, because cooler on that card is more optimized for nVidia, it does not have VRM heatsinks and has a big heatpipe running down the cards bottom and very close to MB chip and thus heats it.
    So overall I prefer Sapphire/MSI designs for 390/X

11. sandvic28

sandvic28 Guest

GPU:
    That explains the temperature complains then, been reading owner's reviews at newegg and a lot of people complain about the strix design in that aspect.... I didn't know about the VRM not having a direct heatsink, you would think a cooler that massive would have vrm heatsinks... thanks for the info! since on my 560ti it was the VRMs that died I don't think I'm going to risk them another time. I guess I'll see if I can wait yet another month (been waiting since 8 already) for the custom RX480, if I can't then I guess I'll get the reference design.