Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by iFRAC7UR3, Sep 21, 2012.

1. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce GTX 680 2Gb
    trying to install the witcher 2, but get this error message ?? dude what the hell is it about, i thought newer versions come alongside windows update

A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    VC+ prob comes packed with the game installer, just click OK and move on.

Nothing to stress about.

3. iFRAC7UR3

iFRAC7UR3 Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GeForce GTX 680 2Gb
    you the man! lol
    always there to set me straight . thnx

4. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Only security patches are available through Windowsupdate. The c++ runtime system is messed up anyway. With some of the runtimes you can have multiple version installed (instead of using the latest), but what is worse is when programs just have the loose files in the program directories. The program uses the loose files instead of the new ones in your system folders, potentially exposing you to security and reliability issues. The programs look for the files locally first, which is why things like the SMAA plugin is simply done by putting the D3d file in the game folder.

5. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Is this a problem? Can i uninstall previous versions without breaking any games?

Cos, this is what my pc currently looks like -_-'
    [​IMG]

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    I do.

[​IMG]

Actually just noticed a couple more old versions in there, guess I'll be removing those too.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Yes, completely safe to uninstall all the old ones.

Latest versions of each of the runtimes are:
    2005:
    x86: 8.0.61187
    x64: 8.0.61186

2008 x86 & x64:

2010 x86 & x64:

2012 x86 & x64:

In fact, you can close off all programs, navigate to the program files and program files (x86) folders, do a search for:
    msvcr*.dll
    msvcp*.dll
    atl*.dll
    vcomp*.dll
    mfc*.dll
    mfcm*.dll

In all cases, the * represents files with 80, 90, 100, and 110 versions. The reason why you want to delete these is so the programs looks for the files in the Windows system folder, so ultimately you have just the latest versions installed. This is safe to do (make sure all programs are closed first so the files aren't locked).

The only non-Windows folders you don't want to delete this files from is program setup folders, only because some programs explicitly expect the runtimes to be there.

Of course, before deleting these files, you have to make sure you have all the latest versions installed :)

You can get an automated runtime installer and old runtime remover here:
    http://burf.cesidian.info/Visual C++ Redist Installer V17.exe

Main folder:
    http://burf.cesidian.info/

It is safe to use, I know, I put it together :). It won't remove the files from the program folders though, it only deals with removing existing runtimes and installing the latest runtimes to the Windows System folders. Covers x86 and x64 runtimes for 2005, 2008, 2010, and 2012 (2012 won't currently show in add/remove programs though, that is a function of the 2012 installers and not the installer script).

8. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    That is awesome! Thanks.

One small tip for the next version:

Code:
    -------------------------------------
    Installer for Visual C++ Runtimes V17 By Burf
    -------------------------------------

Before installing the latest Visual C++ Runtimes existing
    versions should be removed.

Would you like to remove current Visual C++ Runtimes
    and install those packaged with this installer?

If you don't currently have the Runtimes installed,
    press Y to install them!

Press Y for Yes, R for Readme, or N to cancel and exit>
    Reading the readme cleared it out that I just have to press Y, but it would be easier to understand if this line
    Code:
    If you don't currently have the Runtimes installed,
    press Y to install them!

would be left out, since it already detected that I have some versions installed :)

By the way, I've also found msvcrt.dll files. Those should not be deleted right?
    I've also found msvcr71.dll in multiple applications and msvcp60 in the DirectX SDK. Should these be deleted?
    Also I'm using Visual Studio, I think it's better if I don't delete the msvcr100, msvcr100d and other files there, right?
    And last but not least, I saw a program that used mfc100u.dll. Also safe to delete?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The msvcrt.dll and msvcp60.dll files are distributed with Windows (check your System32/syswow64 folders), so it is safe to delete.

msvcr71.dll is also safe to delete because the latest version is copied with the installer. There are a few loose runtime files which are copied over as well, all latest versions.

mfc100u, msvcr100, are safe to delete as they are installed with the 2010 runtimes. msvcr100d on the other hand, is a debug files, and not included with the runtimes. I'm not sure about the rest of the runtimes in the visual studio folder, as I don't have visual studio myself.

Thanks for the tip about removing that line in the installer, it does seem a bit superfluous! I made the change locally so the next version (when newer runtimes become available) will include the change.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2012
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black

Cool program makes tracking C++ versions so much easier

11. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    nmd thanks you fix me the tunngle!!:banana:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  12. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
  13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2012
  14. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    i thoth why not go and check if new version out then i cheked and bvala thank you or to this guy:pc1:
    where you post it?

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

16. Guru5D

Guru5D Guest

GPU:
    Intel 2432523
    Edit: Never mind. Found out myself. :flip2:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

18. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    I note the reason programs statically link against a SPECIFIC version of the VS runtime is to avoid the .dll hell earlier versions of windows were exposed to. (Specifically, a .dll update that ended up breaking a ton of programs that used the previous version of said .dll)

19. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

They are properly backwards compatible now. Programs include the DLL's in case they aren't already on the computer (unlikely). A program will use the DLL in their program folder if it is present there (much like how SweetFX etc is able to work). You can actually delete these files, in which case the program will use the one from the system folder instead. In fact, this is preferable! Think of in the past how there were security updates for the various C++ runtimes. If the program loads the runtime from their own folder, it bypasses the updated version, and potentially uses one that has security issues! Then there's the point of reliability and (maybe) performance changes.

You can safely delete all msvc*.dll files (and atl80/90/100/110.dll files) from both C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) folders, although programs might need to be closed off for this as they maybe locked. Next time the program is loaded it will use the newer version (if installed) from the Windows System32 folder. The only folder where deleting it could be questionable from though is the Visual Studio folder, but only IF you actually have Visual Studio installed.

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Great automated program for C++ redis Simplifies what would be annyoing