Could this be what fixes Vista for a lot of us? Performance & Compatibility Packs

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by terror_adagio, Jul 30, 2007.

1. terror_adagio

terror_adagio Member

GPU:
    7950 GTX 512MB
    938194 Vista Compatibility and Reliability Pack
    This update resolves a number of individual issues which may be affecting some computers running Windows Vista. These issues have been reported by customers using the Error Reporting service, product support, or other means. Installing this update will improve the reliability and hardware compatibility of Windows Vista in a variety of scenarios. Some examples of the improvements contained in this update are:
    Improved reliability and compatibility of Vista when used with newer graphics cards in several specific scenarios and configurations.
    Improved reliability when working with external displays on a laptop.
    Increased compatibility with many video drivers.
    Improved visual appearance of games with high intensity graphics.
    Improved quality of playback for HD-DVD and Blue-Ray disks on large monitors.
    Improved reliability for Internet Explorer when some third party toolbars are installed on Vista.
    Improved Vista reliability in networking configuration scenarios.
    Improved the reliability of Windows Calendar in Vista.
    Improved reliability of systems that were upgraded from XP to Vista.
    Increased compatibility with many printer drivers.
    Increased reliability and performance of Vista when entering sleep and resuming from sleep.

938979 Vista Performance and Reliability Pack
    This update resolves a number of individual issues which may be affecting some computers running Windows Vista. These issues have been reported by customers using the Error Reporting service, product support, or other means. Installing this update will improve the performance and responsiveness for some scenarios and improves reliability of Windows Vista in a variety of scenarios. Some examples of the improvements contained in this update are:
    Improves performance in resuming back to the desktop from the Photo and Windows Energy screensaver.
    Resolves an issue where some secured web pages using advanced security technologies may not get displayed in Internet Explorer on Windows Vista.
    Resolves an issue where a shared printer may not get installed if the printer is connected to a Windows XP or Windows Server 2003 system and User Access Control is disabled on the Vista client.
    Resolves an issue where creating AVI files on Vista may get corrupted.
    Improves the performance in calculating the ‘estimated time remaining’ when copying/moving large files.
    Improves performance in bringing up Login Screen after resuming from Hibernate.
    Resolves an issue where synchronization of offline files to a server can get corrupted.
    Resolves a compatibility issue with RAW images created by Canon EOS 1D/1DS Digital SLR Camera which can lead to data loss. This only affects RAW images created by these two specific camera models.
    Resolves an issue where a computer can lose its default Gateway address when resuming from sleep mode.
    Improves the performance when copying or moving entire directories containing large amounts of data or files.
    Improves the performance of Vista’s Memory Manager in specific customer scenarios and prevents some issues which may lead to memory corruption.

Download:

2. DeathDealer175

DeathDealer175 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX2080ti
    This could be interesting, im thinking of trying this update but i cant for another 8hrs (dam work). Anyone going to try this and if so could you report as to any improvement?

3. fischju

fischju Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Visiontek Radeon HD 4850
    Yes, please share. I took me hours to tweak my Vista 64 to only be 2% slower than my tweaked XP 32 instalation.....

4. Critical_Impact

Critical_Impact Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 640MB 8800GTS @ 620/900
    Installed it, Vista seemed to boot faster. Haven't noticed much otherwise. Going to test HL2 as I was having problems with it.

5. sam3000

sam3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX970
    Don't install KB938979 if you're running 64 bit Vista and Rivatuner! I just tried and rivatuner64.sys failed to load. I found this on another forum:

"#938979 disables the only known permanent signed driver requirement bypass known to me (bcdedit.exe /set loadoptions ddisable_integrity_checks). Avoid installing it if you rely on unsigned drivers and don't want to use F8 every time you boot." (original source)

Fortunately, uninstalling the hotfix restored the ability for rivatuner to run.

6. LiQU!D

LiQU!D Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5770 1GB XfireX
    Meh, none of the bypasses work for me anyway. :p

7. Ade 1

Ade 1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    Glad to see these packs in testing although I haven't really had any probs with Vista. Anyway, I'm gonna wait for some more feedback before I try although I'm gonna be in two minds whether to or not and will have to fight the urge to install.

8. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    Downloading now, gonna report back after some gaming.

Thanks for sharing!

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  9. sam3000

sam3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX970
    I ended up uninstalling them both. I thought maybe it would fix my inability to restore from hibernation with 163.11 but nah. and combined with the not being to run rivatuner (on 64 bit vista) I baled out. A complete waste of an hour of my life, IMO ;-)

10. terror_adagio

terror_adagio Member

GPU:
    7950 GTX 512MB
    The permanent signed driver requirement issue is only affecting 64bit Windows Vista. 32bit has no problems.

Vista is working faster. Another website reported over a 100 percent increase in file transfer speeds with the updates.

11. shiznit

shiznit Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT 756/1836/950
    link?

12. Archer1978

Archer1978 Guest

look at the first post m8! at the bottom :)

Its the first link for both packs! 64 + 32 Bit Vista.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2007
  13. eRa`

eRa` Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit GeForce GTX 570
    F.E.A.R., S.T.A.L.K.E.R., Hl² and WoW all run fine, though I can't notice any performance differences. I'll try Episode 1 later to see if the crash during loading screens bug is gone now, Vista 32bit.

Anyway, this belongs in the Operating Systems section.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2007
  14. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I had an odd problem after installing these. I could not rename any folders at all on on my PC! Uninstalled both patches but problem persisted. Restored a registry backup and all was fine. This time I installed only one of the patches (93184) to see which one caused the problem, and this one seems OK. So 93879 may be the problematic one.

15. Archer1978

Archer1978 Guest

Weird ive installed both packs and had no problems.

Testing games at the mo :D

16. shiznit

shiznit Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT 756/1836/950
    I was reffering to the claim of 100% performance boost.

17. InGen

InGen Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 570
    You can turn that off in the x64 edition. Hit F8 on startup and its the bottom option. It mentions something like "disable driver enforcement".

18. shiznit

shiznit Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT 756/1836/950
    Is that permanent?

19. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Ok tested so far with Lost Planet got my first TDR error in over 4 months with the 162.22 WHQL drivers gonna try the 163.xx drivers as i had a better WEI score and they seems smoother

20. sam3000

sam3000 Master Guru

GPU:
    SLI GTX970
    no. see the text quoted in my first post above.