Olympus µ 1030 SW vs. TOUGH-8000

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Icebird, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ok, so I got a dilemma.

Two weeks ago my Olympus Mju 1030 SW arrived by mail. I love the camera, it's a bit grainy when it's dark - but all in all.. It's a great camera.

Now my dad wants me to buy the same camera for him, but as he was browsing the website where I bought mine.. It has been removed. They're selling the TOUGH-8000 instead. So he wants me to buy him that one instead.

Lo, and behold... I get pissed off because it's only TWO weeks since I bought mine, and THEN they decide to launch the 'new and improved' version. My boss is listening to me rant away, and tells me he wants to buy my 1030 SW, so that I can buy two TOUGH-8000; one for my dad and one for myself.

My question: Is the TOUGH-8000 really the 'new and improved' version of the 1030 SW? Is it worth it? Or should I just be pleased with what I got, and stop wanting what I don't have.. :p

And believe me, I've googled it. It seems like there isn't much difference. The TOUGH-8000 seems to lack the "Behind glass" choice, which I've found very useful, seeing as I spent so much time behind armoured windows, and don't really have time or a choice to stop and take pictures :p There must be a similar setting on the TOUGH-8000, I think.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  2. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Buy the new one and keep it for yourself and give your Dad your one? =)

Only thing with shooting behind glass is you don't get on too much of an Angle and don't shoot directly at it either.

3. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    That was my original idea - then my boss wanted my camera.. :p

4. RejZoR

RejZoR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 Silent
    I am pretty happy with mju series (i'm using mju840). Only crappy thing about Olympus is their XD card format which tops out at 2GB max and even their "high speed" versions of cards are uber slow. I have no clue why they still stick to their XD format where its completely outdated. I just wish they'd go with SD standard like majority of vendors (like Canon). Those microSD adapters just aren't the same.

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    There's a plethora of Tough Cameras that got released at PMA this year.

Canon now have one, although looks like Fisher & Price toy, but it would be great in low light.

Panasonic have one, there's a few others, check dpreview.com for all the announcements.

6. Icebird

Icebird Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The TOUGH-8000 is now SD-compatible. I got the choice between the 1030 and the 8000, seeing as I already got one of them, and the other is basically on its way...