Headphone talk

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by FULMTL, Feb 23, 2013.

1. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Thanks, and no, I don't find them that much of a strain at all. Though admittedly, the longest listening session I've had thus far with the LCD2 is about an hour and a half to two. No strain at all, besides, I have a rather comfy chair to sit on. I lucked out scoring the Rosewood model, I'd have settled for the Bamboo one, but definitely prefer the Rosewood one.

Heh, thanks guys, my search is not quite over yet.....still mentally masturbating as to whether to get a T1 for about 500USD....though I'm still keen on the HD700 at about the same price point.

2. HarryS

HarryS Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750
    I have seen at Kitguru a Review about a new headphone. It calls P614 BT from Arctic. Review sounds good but I have absolutely no experiences with Arctic. Should cost 90 € (around £70) but there was a comment with a promotion and that would be affordable.

3. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    ``[1

I don't think many, if at all, have heard of that brand, let alone that model headphones. Looks pretty decent aesthetically and seems rather OK'ish given its pricepoint. I guess you may have to try it sight unseen, so to say. Amazon has it for 43USD:
    http://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-P614-Bluetooth-Headphones-Neodymium/dp/B00OTH1WS4

I'm pulling the trigger on a relatively new (and so unquantified) DAC/AMP combo in the Schiit Fulla. Yes, Schiit is known but the Fulla is quite new (no review out yet, merely impressions before release) so I'm putting my faith in Schiit (the name doesn't inspire confidence though, know what I mean? :3eyes: )....hope I don't end up fulla Schiit. Sorry, I just had to say that! :D

4. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Well, for the $79 price tag....it sure sounds like a deal....I have the magni and modi....when I upgraded, I kept them both as they were pretty good for the price....a nice bang for your dollar.

5. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Well, it'd cost me 105USD with Fedex Economy shipping to my neck of the woods. It'd still be the cheapest DAC/AMP I've gotten thus far.:nerd:

BTW, I have a chance to score a Mr Speakers Mad Dog 3.2 for 200USD, it still has about 7 months of warranty left. I like that it is a cheap planar mag can, so should I go for it?

6. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Good way to dab in planars I guess, if that interest you.

I was once interested in the Hifiman 560......but after getting the HD800....the urge has passed and faded away

7. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I already have the LCD2.2 non-Fazor, the MD 3.2 would be a cheap planar mag can that I can use and abuse.....with anything from music to gaming to movies. I feel kinda odd using my HD800 and LCD2 for gaming and movies (I somehow feel they deserve better, yes I'm a :tool: that way)

8. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    well....the soundstage of the hd800 for gaming can not be matched....it is crazy good.

9. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    I know, but I'm in the mood for something with better bass. Yes, my LCD2 does bass well enough, but too lush sounding but lacks the soundstage of, well, even the DT990/600 (to me anyway). I'm thinking HD700 or HE500, the former has great soundstage, better attack and decay with a more extended bass compared to the HD800. The HE500 would be a fun can for gaming and movies, but I'm concerned that it'd sound too much like the LCD2. Is the HD700 different enough from the HD800 to justify a purchase? I believe I can get a HD700 for about 500USD with one more year of warranty left.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I just got my HE-500 for like $467 off ebay my self,Took me a while to get used to the headphone adjusters. As I used to the beyers notches. The Beyerdynamic T90 had very good bass, but its cable is like a jump rope and got in the way at my computer. At-least if you needed to escape out your window, you can just use the T90 cable and climb down.

11. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I am not sure about the HD700, as I have not heard it, and I do not know much about it.

If you do get it.....post back and let us know :)

GenClaymore, nice snag on the HE500 :)

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    To be fair, I think you'd dislike the HD700's. I do and speaking as a fellow Senni' fan that loves the taste of the series. They're a bit cold to my ears, harsh and not quite as open as found with the HD800. They don't have that "Sennheiser" sound.

PS: Always knew you were a Sennheiser lover at heart! Grado is awesome, but it doesn't Immerse you imo.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  13. gridiron whirlw

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Ha....well, I have only ever owned the HD650 and the HD800.....but I like the HD800 well enough that I am having an otl amp custom made for it.

Once I get my amp....I will be picking the RS1i back up, as i miss it for classic rock, in a big way.

The HD800 is just a wonderful headphone as long as it is driven well and your source is good.....

14. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    With a little luck, I'd be snagging a couple of mid-high end cans, a Senn HD700 and a MrSpeakers Alpha Dog. With these purchases, I'd be putting a moratorium of headphone purchases as I'd have two high end dynamic and orthodynamic, as well as two mid range dynamic and orthodynamic cans. Will be focusing on perhaps another headphone dac/amp combo....

Edit - I might give up on the idea of the Alpha Dog since the seller hasn't gotten back to me, the HD700 is a done deal. In lieu of the Alpha Dog, I may get a V Moda M100, from what I've gathered, very fun can for great bass and sparkly highs.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  15. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Wayyy too much bass on that M100 - the AlphaDog is 100x a better headphone.

16. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Alright, I did as you'd said, got the Alpha Dog as well, so.....
    V-Moda Crossfade M100
    [​IMG]

Sennheiser HD700
    [​IMG]

MrSpeakers Alpha Dog
    [​IMG]

Group shot!:nerd:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  17. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    That's just ridiculous :infinity:

regards,
    RagDoll.

18. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Yeah, I know, I tend to go overboard with my enthusiasm when I get into something. How the heck do you think I ended up with 30 mechanical keyboards?:nerd:

19. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I finally was able to order the Asgard 2 amp, Because this little dot MKII is a bad match for my HE-500. Then After it comes then I can get rid of the Tube amp and maybe get some cash back from getting rid of it.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  20. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    So tell us what you think! I'm curious to see if you feel the same way about the AlphaDog as I thought you would. What kind of kit are you running these on?