XFX GTX295 Running hot

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Kexzey, Jan 1, 2013.

1. Kexzey

Kexzey Guest

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX295
    (First Post, hello to the Guru3D community!) I'm Kexzey,

Just a question, I've installed a XFX GeForce GTX295 into my pc and it idles at 60C~ at 60% fan speed, and 52C at 100% fan.
    When I play games such as Crysis, the temp hits around 85C and my game feels slightly laggy when it hits this temp. If I was to install two 120mm fans on the side of the case, where the vent holes are - would this reduce the temprature effectively at all?

Theory:
    If I had the top fan blowing out the hot hair, and the bottom fan sucking in colder air, the graphics card may perform cooler due to better ventilation?

... or is there a better technique for cooling this hot card?

2. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I had 2 295`s blow the card out with a can of air.

3. Kexzey

Kexzey Guest

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX295
    Do you think the problem could be dust in the card itself?

4. Ragingun

Ragingun Guest

GPU:
    295x2
    Yes. Had too. Traded for my 285GTX. had too many issues with dual cards.

5. Kexzey

Kexzey Guest

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX295
    I might just get the extra case fans, and also try see if my card has dust in it or not and if so, completely clean it.

It can't be the thermal paste though, it's been re-applied well, as my 'techhead' cousin who previously owned it did that.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    yep, dust

7. Kexzey

Kexzey Guest

GPU:
    XFX GeForce GTX295
    [​IMG]

Just for you guys to have a look at really...
    Thats idling at 100% fan!

8. HamsterCrispy

HamsterCrispy Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 Ti SSC
    Even at idle the clocks are stuck at 576 mhz, it doesn't clock down at all?

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    I have 2 Gainward gtx295s(single pcb),first one i bought cuz it was good price and the second i got to pi$$ a friend off but with the poor quad sli performance on the 4 gpus(20-50% usage) and a massive punch in my cpu`s nuts not to mention the excessive heat put on my board which caused high PCH temps(high enough to give me a black screen and lock my entire system...requiring a restart)....oh and the lack of support in most games i have...anyway....my point is 2 cards really is overkill for most games.

Apart from that the cards run verywell on there own(1 card) with no fan issues and with the right driver(296.10) i get 98% gpu usage except in TDU2...i get 98% on gpu 2 which is where my screen is plugged in to and 10% on gpu1 and i get better cpu levels with only 1 card

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  10. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    Those are good temps. Is it dual or single PCB? I'd try to blow out the dust and install the extra fans. It'll not only cool your beast; it'll also provide cooling for the other hardware. The airflow will help you cool it faster and it will heat up slower.
    However I think it would still hit those temps, unless you make a custom fan profile; it'll make some noise but that way you can control the temps much easier.

I have dual. It hits 98-100c with 100% fan speed in far cry 3. ;) I've replaced the thermal paste and I blow the dust out every 1-2 months.

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I had both, Dual PCB 295's in sli and Single PCB 295's in sli.
    The Dual cards ran much hotter, much noisier and stuttered more than the Single PCB cards, They also were of a poorer build quality.

Dual PCB cards are only worth having and overclocking if you put them under water.

The single PCB cards were awesome.