Access movies from Desktop PC on LG 32LM6200 3D TV

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Markwinstanley, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Markwinstanley

Markwinstanley Guest

GPU:
    8Gb - Kingston HyperX
    Hi all, I have LG 32LM6200 3D Led TV and desktop computer cable. I don't have broadband connection beside 3G Internet dongle which i use freq for web browsing on desktop.

1 I want to do is simply access my desktop movies on tv via ethernet cable.

2 Can i share my 3G usb dongle Internet with TV via computer Ethernet port like 3g dongle > Computer usb port > Computer Lan port > Led Lan port.

It has DLNA. If i am not wrong that has to be useful in my case. I am not sure about it. Please guide me how to do this. I don't want to copy movies to usb every time neither want to connect pc via hdmi. I know little bit about XMBC. How can i use this to watch movies on TV with UPnP?

I have good knowledge about gadgets and technology but newbie to DLNA, Home networking etc. You can answer my queries in geek way. I can't use
    Note- Please move my thread to appropriate section if posted in wrong section.

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Serviio is probably the easiest way, its pretty much made for just DLNA.

http://serviio.org/

3. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Lucky i stumbled on this post, i've tried these things before and never worked out.

Installed it and it saw our Smart TV without issues and server is running and i've set up everything.

I'll try it later, my sister's daughter is watching TV right now.

EDIT: Works like a charm thanks so much!! now i don't need to run around with my USB stick anymore. :D

Last edited: Jan 22, 2015
  4. uberdruid

uberdruid Guest

GPU:
    AMD HD 7900

I've never used Servio, my preference is for Plex but plex would most likely do a lot more than what you seem to need. Going to make a note about Servio though.

In terms of network, yes you can share your 3G modem from your PC. This link should get you started. I don't know what version of Windows you are running so it's difficult to answer step by step.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/using-internet-connection-sharing#1TC=windows-7

Personally, I would consider investing in a router with at least 4 gigabit ports which can handle your USB modem. It makes things simpler allowing that device to handle the connection.

I'm not recommending this particular unit but this kind of thing is what I mean: http://www.netcommwireless.com/product/4g/nb16wv-03

I know there are also models which will allow you to plug in a USB drive and then act as a DLNA server. The key is finding one that works with your particular USB modem.

5. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Quick question about Serviio, does it use internet or LAN?
    TV and PC are all connected to the modem with cable.

Cause i download alot, and don't want it to interfere with Serviio when i'm watching.

6. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Serviio uses your router, your LAN, not your Internet (ISP) connection.

I assume your modem is a modem/router combo.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2015
  7. pimpernell

pimpernell Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4080
    +1 For servioo

In my opinion better than both flex and XBMC.
    Just configure what it should show, so it do not get bloated.
    (I only have on newest files, folders and last watched,tailor to your preference).
    Have support for the newest H Samsungs with the latest version.

8. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    my Toshiba 40" smart TV reads the files on the pc directly through the router as it has a built in media server

not really felt the need for any enhancements via PC software I just let the TV do the work