Geforce 8800 GTS waste of energy in idle

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by fabie, Feb 20, 2015.

1. fabie

fabie Guest

the Geforce 8800 GTS idling on windows wastes aprox 50 w I calculated

that's a total waste of energy and lot of heat, this gfx card sucks

so to save energy and heat I underclocked the card in the bios from 576 core 1400 shaders 900 mem to 285/700/450

that's is the half of all clocks, using those numbers the 8800 gts have the speed of a 8600 GT aprox , but I can't underclock the card further because high resolutions not worked ie 1920x 1440 ( grey screen )

if I need the full GFX power to play a game I launch EVGA precision and I put the card in original clocks

yet this card underlocked to half clocks wastes aprox 35 w idling ( I calculated)

so my question is this:

is there a way to underclock this card automatically to not waste so energy in idle?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2015
  2. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    maybe the best thing to do is....take the card put it in a box and put a for sale sign on it.
    Then go out and get a gtx 750/ti since you are mister power miser why bother with that card anymore

With that card you would need to simply add a custom resolution to avoid grey screens if no other issues are accruing .

3. fabie

fabie Guest

the 750 ti is 60w card works fine in new games but it sucks in DX9 games
    I heard that do only 7000 points in 3d mark 06 at default settings

do you have more info about the 750 ti running 3d mark 06 ?

4. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    Why would it be terrible in DirectX9? I've never heard of a newer card not being able to play order games at acceptable framerates....Besides there are still loads of modern games that unfortunately still run DX9

Also I highly doubt anyone is going to bother running a 750Ti (or any modern graphics card for that matter) on 3dMark 06.

If you're really that worried about a measly 60w, sell your 8800GTS and get a modern card that's more power efficient.

5. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Get a new card that clocks down when not under load. My 7970s idle at about 20W apiece and use about 2 W or less if the screen's off...

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Why you worried about such a old benchmark?

7. fabie

fabie Guest

because 3d mark 06 is a directx 9 benchmark and 99.9% of games yet uses directx 9
    I should explain you this?

my 8800 GTS performs 13500 points in 3d mark 06, I will not change a 140w card for a 60 w card which performs only half of that

still waiting for info about the 750 ti in 3d mark 06
    the only reference I found is this....only 5378 points

http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-760-vs-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti

I don't know if that is correct, that's because Im asking

8. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Whatever game no matter the engine or code it will run better on the GTX 750ti. Assuming you don't have a CPU/RAM bottleneck.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    That card you got is 9 years old a 750ti should smoke it no problem. Cards this century downclock and undervolt when idle and ramp up when needed.

10. nexxusty

nexxusty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Incorrect. The 750ti does way way more that 5.3k in 06.

Reference: http://hwbot.org/submission/2503750_delly_3dmark06_geforce_gtx_750_ti_38026_marks

This is an actual reference. Not GPU Boss. Lol. Took me about 5 seconds to find this too. Try searching harder instead of saying you "looked" when you really only went to the first result when you searched in Google. K?

Since you are being an ass to people as well, I'll put this bluntly. Your system is a joke, a cruel joke at that.

If you actually plan on saving power you need a new system. Period. Your system is too old to do any type of power saving we see today.

Get rid of that thing. I have about 15 systems sitting in my basement that are twice as powerful as that. Just sitting there. What does that mean for you?

It means buy an Xbox or a PS4, your PC gaming days are over until you buy a new rig.

Which he does. E7400 with a 750ti? Complete waste of time and money.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015

11. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I'm not sure, he says DX9 games. Might be sufficient. The 750ti fits his niche best considering he cares so much about power consumption.

12. nexxusty

nexxusty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    Each new architecture is made with newer CPU in mind. Older ones get worse and worse with each generation. To the point that I wouldn't be surprised if he got better performance from a 550ti than a 750ti in DX9.

Pairing Conroe with Maxwell is just dumb. I completely disagree.

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    E7400 is a wolfdale. A 750ti aint top of the line maxwell. It will bottleneck a 750ti but op is after low power consumption and 3d mark 06 scores apparently.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    GTX750Ti gets scores in excess of 30K in 3DMark06....

Wolfdale was built on the Conroe micro-arch....

He's after 3DMark06 scores, which are heavily dependent on CPU clock speeds.....and his score is mediocre at best.

15. IhatebeingAcop

IhatebeingAcop Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080
    I am likely getting a new card when Nvidia releases theirs in a few months. Depending on where you are at I'll send you my EVGA 770 for free. I've only had it for about 9 months. Shame to see how much you know about this and you're on a real low end card.

16. fabie

fabie Guest

the link you posted I found it before you, 38000 points that's not credible for a 60 w card
    I'm talking about a serious review
    I will not answer the other stupid things you posted because I see you= 100% retard

17. nexxusty

nexxusty Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    OK OK, Wolfdale. Which is a 45nm Conroe. No difference clock for clock.

It's a complete waste of money for this guy. Better to get into the 2010 era at least with his CPU.

Thanks for the backup there Syk.

I don't even know where to begin with your last response.

Do you honestly think because it's a 60 w card it can't pull 38k? Wow. Have you ever heard of architectural improvements? I'm guessing no as you still use an E7400. Lol.

We don't need people like you around here asking dumb questions, getting a proper answer and then refusing to listen.

That was HWBOT I linked you. That fact that you don't think my link was credible shows how much of a complete n00b you are. Piss off, thanks.

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I know that but an e7400 is a wolfdale. Conroe was the first c2d. Calling an e7400 a conroe is a mistake.

20. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Have you done the math to figure out the cost of running that card, it probably isn't much, then replacing it would negate any savings and just cost your more.