Returned my G1 GTX 970s for refund

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Carfax, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I shipped my G1 GTX 970s back to Newegg today, after having an RMA request authorized. They were great cards, but I was a bit ticked off to put it mildly at having been deceived about the specs.

If I had known the GTX 970 was scaled back to this degree, I would have gone with GTX 980s from the beginning..

Now I have to decide what to do with the $740 I will be getting back. I still want to stay with NVidia, despite all of this. AMD just isn't an option for me due to the significantly higher power usage, driver overhead and less XFire compatibility for games.

Also, I kind of want to ditch SLI after having used it for so many years. SLI lately just doesn't seem as good as it was back in the day. Lots of flickering and other issues seem to be plaguing it, in games like Dragon Age Inquisition, AC Unity. And of course, Watch Dogs SLI profile is STILL broken.

And to top it off, some major 3D engines are dropping support for AFR completely. Unreal Engine 4 won't support AFR, due to how the engine uses information from the previous frame to render the next frame. Developers can probably still implement it by using tricks and what not, but basically it means that both SLI and XFire are likely going to be buggier and not perform as well as in the Unreal Engine 3.

But if I revert to single card, there's really nothing out at the moment that can handle 1440p with max IQ settings and still get great performance. GM200 should be able to handle 1440p in single card config, but when will it be available?

My most anticipated game the Witcher 3 is due out in May of this year. Will GM200 be available for sale before then?

Another option would be for me to just buy a couple of GTX 980s and stick with SLI. Guaranteed to be significantly faster than GM200, but of course it comes with the SLI drawbacks that I mentioned previously.

Still thinking....:)

2. Doom112

Doom112 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 TF V
    U go banned in Anandtech why?

When u ban will be over?

TO the topic i would go for a single GTX 980 and wait for GTX titan X or what ever it is called.

3. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    How did you know I was banned? I was a victim of an overzealous moderator with an axe to grind.. He banned me for a year! :mad:

See this thread for details..

Going for a single GTX 980 would do the trick I suppose, at least temporarily. I would lose money though after having to sell it. Right now I'm leaning towards going full blown GTX 980 SLI and forgetting about the Titan X, or just biting the bullet and wait for the Titan X to be released.

The only backup cards I have are old PhysX cards like a GTX 650 Ti and a GTX 460. Neither of which I can play any games on other than maybe BG2 EE LOL!

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Maxwell GM200 probably around April or max early June 2015.

Look at olde High-end rls dates GT200 - 280GTX (early June), GF100 - 480GTX (end march) or GK110 - 780GTX (early May or End February with "Titan")..

Btw AMD GCN is like Nvidia since Fermi days, similar operations, also since you defended NV & gameworks :D most stuff is now compute based so it doesnt matter anymore, nvidia does it in cuda mode, amd in openCL.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    It would be perfect if Titan X launched at the end of February. :banana:

Regarding GCN and DirectCompute, I agree. In fact, the emphasis on games using compute shaders is why Hawaii is doing so well in recent games compared to Kepler. Hawaii has very strong compute performance, unlike Kepler which is much weaker in compute; the GTX 780 Ti being an exception.

And look at how well Maxwell does in compute compared to Kepler. It's obvious that NVidia knew that compute performance was going to be of increasing importance in the future, so they made sure Maxwell was going to be strong in that area.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    No Titan with Maxwell, it doesn't have FP64.. Pascal will have FP64 again, so probably more Titans then lol :nerd:

Anyway GM204 is not that uber by direct compute, they just matched it to last gen high-end GK110.. GK104 had only ~ 3.2tflops.

970GTX with ~4.7tflops vs stock 780GTX ~4.5tflops, 980GTX 5.2tflops around the same as 780Ti with 5.1tflops. GM200 should hopefully have at least ~8tflops:D

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  7. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I wouldn't go SLI 980s if you want to ditch running multiple cards for good. Are there any other games that are coming out that are important to you that you want to play between now and May? That is the question that you need to ask yourself. And if you have a good enough secondary card to tide you over until the new Gm200 cards come out?

8. redrumy3

redrumy3 Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 3090 FE
    I decided to step up to GTX 980 I had 15 days left from Evga. I should of just bought 980 at the time but I wanted to save some money. Currently in queue for step up lol.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  9. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    keeping my 970 g1's

i guess i will find out sooner or later if there was any cause for worry or not :)

happy enough with them, as long as i keep aa around x4 when using silly high dsr settings they run fine for me.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Combined vRAM with DX12 for SLI..... problem solved?

11. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Guest

GPU:
    Don't need one
    yea i did read about it, lets hope it works, us SLI/CF owners will be very happy :)

12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    That's not automatically a dx12 working feature.
    Game devs will first have to implement it into a game, hopefully they will use it wisely:nerd:

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yes like they have been using anything wisely lately.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Well it looks like its easier to implement then SLI or xfire gpu scaling.

By gpu scaling its like they're all hoping it will work good by default and drivers fix the rest.. :grin:

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    That's what happens when most of your devs get their work force from fly by night technical colleges. SMH

16. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Honestly, not really. But I am backlogged in games, and I'd like to finish a few of them before the Witcher 3 comes out.

Games that I am in the process of finishing are Dragon Age Inquisition, AC Unity, and Watch Dogs. I want to beat all three of them before May, and I game really slow because I have four kids and a full time job..

The more I think of it, the more I'm looking like I might just stick with SLI. It's a known quantity to me, as I've had SLI for the last 6 years or so.

Plus, GTX 980 SLI will be guaranteed to be faster than a single Titan X, and maybe even cheaper as well if the rumors of it being over $1300 are true..

17. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    You stepped up from a GTX 970, or a GTX 770? You have a GTX 770 in your sig so thats why I'm asking..

18. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    *eyeballing two EVGA GTX 980 FTW cards*

19. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    With all these Console Ports?

I think not.

20. Barry J