High End Audiophile thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Thinking I might go for a hd 650. I only have 2 sets of cans to my name. Think I need a 3rd good set. Or any recommondations in the $325 range? Thats pretty much all I can spend in budget. My other set is the dt880 pro 250 ohm.

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The thing is the cable's on them now are not the original cables, it some Chinese cable that he bought that's meant for portable usage. Its way too short, which I been eying that same very cable. If he included the original cables I wouldn't have to buy a longer cable for them.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  3. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    You better watch it, it's a slippery slope you're treading on.:behead: You're looking at one who'd slipped and is still tumbling down that steep and long slope.:bang:

What other can do you have, other than the aforementioned DT880?

4. Noob4Ever

Noob4Ever Guest

GPU:
    GTX 660Ti x2 SLI
    I agree with Mikey, I prefer modding/tweaking/optimizing to outright upgrades where possible. I really enjoy doing something myself and hearing the results. There's nothing else quite as satisfying:)
    That said, if you're determined to spend some money, I've heard at Innerfidelity that the 600 is really close to the 650, you might consider going with the 600 and saving some money, then making up for it with a better amp or source? Only judging from what I've heard, I think I'd prefer the 600 since I'm something of a treble-head.
    Darn, I keep forgetting I can't post links yet, but there's a great explanation at innerfidelity's wall of fame (full-sized open headphones).

5. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    One of the reasons why I'd gotten the Fostex T50RP was because I'm thinking of getting my hands dirty by modding it. At 74USD, I'd not mind experimenting with it, tweaking it.......but, in the midst of a lazy rut (but then, when am I ever NOT in a lazy rut?). Will read up on modding the T50RP over at HF, perhaps when the mood strikes me, I might roll up my sleeves and git with it.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Just noticed that my HD 595's finally reached the Sennheiser service, good. I feared that I screwed up something considering that they were just sitting there for almost one week.

I did also order Superlux HD-668 B and velour pads for it. I don't know what to expect - it would be almost a shock if it would be on par with HD 595's. I plan to take those Superlux to our summer cottage (etc.) and as a backup headphones since the HD 595 seem to be so prone to cracking.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    he-500

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Look into the AKG range, something like a Q701 would be a lovely compliment to your other cans.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    I already ordered the hd 650. Should be here Thursday.

10. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The HD650's are fantastic cans, I absolutely love them (as I'm sure most here know by now). I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions.

11. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Got my NJ tax return today and that paid for them fully. Hifiman finally accepted my invoice that I emailed them a dozen times for the new he 500 cable. Going to rma that today. I freaking bought 2 sets of cables in the time it took me to get this rma approved. $60 replacement from hifiman a nice set from ebay (though I am still waiting for this set). I wanted something more comfortable but very good as well. HE-500 is very heavy. hd650 should do the trick.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    They're good for the price. They do clamp tight though, by far the tightest clamp of any headphone I've tried. Sound is good, but they lack in soundstage quite badly.

Good for some tight sounding rock. Haven't tried them with velour pads though.

13. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Oh, you will love the 650. now we both own 650 and 880 pro 250. I might get some Q701 or Fidelios later. The only reason I haven't bought any more headphones is because I'm very happy with the 650. do keep us posted with impressions.

EDIT: you sending back your HE-500? the 650 are comfy. and sound like butter.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Nah I`m keeping them, phenomenal cans, bit too heavy to use all the time imo. Delivery is guaranteed Thursday. Will post impressions. dt880 pro is a good set of cans but sound a bit muddy to use when I`m used to the he-500. Wanted something better than the dt880 pro.

15. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I use a Headband cushion snap on for my HE-500's which does the drop to make them more Comfortable to wear. Some people use double sided tape and place HD600 headband pad's on their HE-500s.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Appreciate it if you can link the headband you use.

17. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
  18. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    That doesn't look overly comfortable to me if I'm honest, I'd grab a foam Sennheiser headband and use some double sided tape.

19. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Well, considering the price (<30 €) I can't say that I'm expecting anything. I don't have very wide head so I hope that the clampling force is not too bad (especially with the velour pads). Some say that changing the default pads to velour improves (or at least changes) the sound a bit. I'll post my opinions about it when I receive it.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Oh, don't get me wrong, they sound good. It's just that the comfort isn't there for me, they clamped too tight on my head and the stock pads were too hot, but I'm sure velour would improve here. I think everyone should own a pair of Superlux at some stage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.