After Catalyst 8X, i cant enable 8X pipelines

Discussion in 'RivaTuner Advanced Discussion forum' started by Exar Kun, Apr 26, 2004.

1. Exar Kun

Exar Kun Guest

First of all: Hi evrybody im new to this forum, i hope there a lot of kind and experienced users around here :)

After Catalyst 8-00-040322a-014266c i can´t enable 8x pipelines anymore.

Enable my Radeon 9500_9700 Pro (yes i have the correct card, ive done this before)

Some info: Ive had the old catalyst drivers for months, then after serious issues with battlefield vietnam i though why not upgrade to a new driver? I then started the new version (tried the previous version as well) of Rivatuner, was ready to patch my card once more. According to riva evrything went perfectly as it was before. After restart i opened up Rivatuner but the pipelines were still at 8X. Also i checked my Video adapter and it still was recognized as Radeon 9500!!??!

Ive tried to do the same thing 100 times but it still won´t work, i also saw something new in Rivatuner, a pathscript to remove overclocking protection, did it and riva says patch succeses ful. Also i got a new message when i tried to patch the card. First of all here is how i do evrything.

1. Start Rivatuner
    2. Power User/open patch script
    3.Patch scripts/ATI/Softfire9xoo/SoftR9x00 w2k (my os is xp, so i think it is correct)
    4. Force Radeon 9700 Capabilites, then i locate amitag.sys
    5. New! I recive this message after ive downloaded the newest Rivatuner: "This file is NOT certified to use with this patch script, therefore it may not function properly.Are you sure you wan´t to continue?

I moved on and Rivatuner said, something like it had done before, patch succesful but after restart nothing happens?!? Rivaturner shows me that the extra pipelines are NOT enabled for some reason??!?!

Also i must say this so you all know: A few months before when it worked i never manually updated it in windows device manager, i just checked my video adapter and it said Radeon 9700 pro. But right now after I downloaded the newest catalyst driver it won´t work, not even when Riva says its ok.

Guys im not a high tech on this matter, so please explain it simple. I Just hope anyone can help me out here :)

Best Regards Exar Kun

2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

First, let me quote RivaTuner's documentation you should read _before_ posting questions ;) And pay attention to the text I've marked with bold font.

3. Exar Kun

Exar Kun Guest

Ok thanx for all youre help Unwinder. I wasn´t clear in my topic regarding the pipelines, after restart i DONT have the 8x pipelines enabled. Thats my problem, Rivatuner says the patch is succseful but after restart i only have 4X1 pipelines. Like i said this is the first time this is happening to me. Why should i bother about win xp file protection when it has worked before. Aye i will read the guide once more and hope it works agian. BTW I have read Rivatuners readme file, 100 times, before posting here.

Hope to hear from u agian mate, ill check in later to tell you if it worked or not :)

4. Exar Kun

Exar Kun Guest

Ok i went directly to windows/system32/drivers and patched atmag, and guess what after restart there was 8 pipelines, and the video adapter were now radeon 9700. Yeeeeeees finally it worke once more :)

I also overclocked the card at this settings, going stable,

Core clock:350 Mhz
    Memory Clock:297 Mhz

3dmark03

Radeon 9500 Fillrate 971
    Multirate 1382

Radeon 9700 (pro) Fillrate 1330
    Multirate 2158

After a bit overclock Fillrate 1538
    Multirate 2700

Guys the last score isnt that on pair with Radeon 9700 pro??? If anyone know please let me know. Im so glad it worked once more, thanx unwinder :)

5. SiyMan

SiyMan Guest

Hey Unwinder,

I'm very glad that RivaTuner show me that I'm now using the 8x1 Pipes, but my problem is the 9700 Chip Type. In the Video Adapter Settings the name is Radeon 9500, not 9700 and I don't know how to see the chip type (I'm using Windows XP 2600 german, my Problem is only the language).
    But why have Rivatuner not updated the Card ?

Pls Help me - SiyMan

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2004
  6. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

I'm already not talking about documentation, but why didn't you even read this thread completely? The answer is in the second post.

Look at the FAQ I've quoted. Display adapted _must_not_ be detected as R9700. Only Adapter -> Chip type must be 9700 after modding.